Moparts

Winch Battery Question......??........

Posted By: E-Ticket

Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/25/15 02:24 AM

I'm sure this subject has been covered time and again but I could use some quick advice on choosing a new battery.

I have a Superwinch 9000 and need to buy a new battery to run it.....need some information on what battery is the latest and greatest to invest in these days and does it really matter whether it is a group size 24 or group size 27....??...... Thanks in advance......
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/25/15 03:45 AM

post all you want bro. I dont have an ans for you but here's a BTT for ya. if it stays under charged a bit after you winch something up I'd assume you'd want a deep cycle batt of some variety
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/25/15 05:05 AM

I bought a deep cycle from wal mart , charge it as needed. Get the biggest that will fit. In batteries, bigger is always better at least in cranking amps.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/25/15 11:28 PM

deep cycle here too
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 03:14 AM

Actually a size 34 works best as it comes with more cranking amps then the smaller ones. For my winch I have a deep cycle marine battery. With a marine battery they are made to hold a charge longer when not in use that much. I usually charge mine twice a year.
Posted By: gofastboater

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 03:25 AM

Get a 27 or 30 series deep cycle battery and put a maintainer on it. Keep it plugged in and you will never have a dead battery.

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 04:00 AM

so everyone is pretty my of the opinion that "bigger is better" in this particular case.....??.....and of course, a marine deep cycle battery....??
Posted By: ahy

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 04:15 AM

Bigger is better and deep cycle is better for this application... agree. Also a question. How is it charged? If charged by the vehicle whenever running that will help a lot. May not need to be "bigger". If charged only manually at a stop bigger is truly better. Usage also matters. If used often and for extended periods, bigger will help it hang in. If used rarely and for moderate periods of time, may not need to be "bigger".
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 04:21 AM

I use a semi tractor battery I buy at the International dealer I work for, $94 on sale and it lasts forever! up

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 07:01 AM

right now the winch will be used as needed on an occasional basis but later on, the usage will increase. I could wire it in to the vehicles battery system if needed if it will help extend the life cycle....??

Rhino......the semi tractor battery doesn't offer a marine style, deep cycle option do they....??

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 07:06 AM

Autozone has a group 27 deep cycle with 800 CCA's that I am considering...?? Anyone have an opinion on them??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/26/15 07:25 AM

I currently have a group 27 Exide RV marine deep cycle gelfilled (looks like a Optimas blue top)for my enclosed car trailer with a 4500 lb Superwinch, it has a battery start gen set on it and I have the trailer plug hooked up to the charging circuit from my 2006 Ram 3500 truck so it charges the trailer battery while being towed to the races. IHTHs up
Posted By: ahy

Re: Winch Battery Question......??........ - 06/27/15 12:27 AM

For charging, frequent use batteries like dump trailers are charged from the vehicle system. A 7 prong "RV Type" trailer brake plug makes this easy. You would use the accessory pin which is usually rated up to 30 amps. Best to use a 12 v to 12 v charger also so the accessory circuit does not get overloaded when using the winch. With that, the battery would be getting a charge whenever the trailer is hooked and ignition on.

http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=battery+charger&furl=-pa-2&ymm=0
© 2024 Moparts Forums