Moparts

Oil Filter

Posted By: 70dart318

Oil Filter - 06/08/15 06:53 PM

I went to Walmart to get oil and filter for my 70 Dart with a 318. I saw the black mopar oil filters I asked the sales person which one will fit my car and they did not know. The catalog did not go back that far. It looked like the one # M0-090 would fit but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me if it will or what is the correct #. Thanks for the Help
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Oil Filter - 06/08/15 07:26 PM

Almost all of the "classic" Mopar engines can use the same oil filter including some of the more modern engines. I've heard that Mopar changed over to a metric thread for the oil filter in 2008 but I'm not 100% sure that is true.

If you go to the dealer they'll have a couple of different oil filters that fit everything. The small "tea cup" size and the larger standard size.

Eberg did a classic article on oil filters years ago. You might be able to find it posted somewhere.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Oil Filter - 06/10/15 03:44 AM

Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Oil Filter - 06/11/15 03:10 PM

The Wix is the better filter by far. If you race, the 51515R is rated at about 28 gpm of oil flow before bypass, (larger filtering media, stops the big stuff) and the street 51515 filter is only 7 or 9 gpm.
Posted By: 70dart318

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 02:14 AM

I forgot to mention it has the 90 degree adapter and headers.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 04:01 AM

In Purolator the short filter is L14670 and the long is L30001.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By gregsdart
The Wix is the better filter by far.

how can you say the Wix is the best when at a factory in the city i live in, Wix, Fram, Toyota Genuine & Purolator are all made in the same factory with the same parts? i'm not saying they make every filter for all applications, but the make a large range & it's just the last stage when they get Screenprinted is the brand for which box they get shipped off in. some filters were slightly different in construction but i was getting HP1 Fram filters that had accidentally had Toyota Genuine Screenprinting on them.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By rebel
how can you say the Wix is the best when at a factory in the city i live in, Wix, Fram, Toyota Genuine & Purolator are all made in the same factory with the same parts?

Absolutely false. While I don't know who makes the Toyota filter, the other 3 are most definitely not the same, and not made in the same plant.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 03:42 PM

Yes the 090 is the one you want, I use them on my Dart and 04 Intrepid. The 899 is for later vehicles.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 04:30 PM

I was using the 090 and the Wix #51068 on my Diplomat with headers and 90 degree adapter,until I did a filter relocation. Now I use the huge Baldwin BT237.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Oil Filter - 06/12/15 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By rebel
how can you say the Wix is the best when at a factory in the city i live in, Wix, Fram, Toyota Genuine & Purolator are all made in the same factory with the same parts?

Absolutely false. While I don't know who makes the Toyota filter, the other 3 are most definitely not the same, and not made in the same plant.

umm sorry to dissappoint you but they are down here. companies outsource work to where ever is cheap & down under has a filter manufacturing plant that makes multiple brands. the filtration media might change from filter to filter but they're basicly the same.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Oil Filter - 06/13/15 12:33 AM

Oil filters are not basically the same internally. There is a lot of difference inside if you have ever looked at the posts of them broken open.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: Oil Filter - 06/13/15 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By stumpy
Oil filters are not basically the same internally. There is a lot of difference inside if you have ever looked at the posts of them broken open.

Bingo. Cut open a few, or look for images in the Oil Filter forum at BITOG. Lots of pics of open filters there. Wix, Fram, and Purolator are very different, construction-wise.
© 2024 Moparts Forums