Moparts

Best rear springs for 66 Valiant Wagon w/440" sbm?

Posted By: Streetwize

Best rear springs for 66 Valiant Wagon w/440" sbm? - 06/07/15 08:25 PM

Stephen Daurity is the Man, he got the 285/40ZR18 tire/wheel combo to fit
Under a stock 66 Valiant wagon using a 3.73 auburn geared 8.8 Explorer rear that was narrowed 3". Its gonna be awesome for the 440" W2 smallblock/904 trans with a 3800 stall 9 1/2" UCC converter. He mover the springs inboard only 3/4" to get them in there.

My question is, what springs should I use? XHD? Super stock? We wont set the pinion or the front eye position until i get the right spring in there. I just want a fun easy 11 sec street car with good tires and brakes. The front will have all late A spindles, brakes and suspension including oem 340 tbars. Front tires will be 255/45R18's. Also need a hotchkiss frontvswaybar kit on it.

Ideas?

Thanks

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best rear springs for 66 Valiant Wagon w/440" sbm? - 06/07/15 09:22 PM

SS springs will work if you use a couple of left side springs. Or go with the road race springs. The road race springs require a slightly shorter hanger. You can buy the complete setup from www.firmfeel.com

I wouldn't put a set of standard SS springs on there since they'll make the car sit funny. But it works okay if you order them individually and go with a pair of driver side springs.

XHD springs might work but you'll probably need a pair of kicker shocks to keep it from wrapping up. Firm Feel has the kicker shock setup if you want to go that way.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Best rear springs for 66 Valiant Wagon w/440" sbm? - 06/07/15 09:32 PM

Thanks andy,

Yeah i know the 02/03's are staggered and make the car list to one side. I want the car to ridenice and handle well ( for what it is)

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best rear springs for 66 Valiant Wagon w/440" sbm? - 06/08/15 04:23 AM

For the record which is better, a pair of 002's or 003's. I bought a 65 dart roller with 003/003's & when done it rode high and tight (I was happy), real nice and firm. just needed shock extensions to finish up
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Best rear springs for 66 Valiant Wagon w/440" sbm? - 06/10/15 12:07 AM

If I recall correctly, I had the lightest springs (2800)in my Dart way back when, and the wheelbase was moved forward 6 inches as well. It had a lot of rise, probably running out of shock length even with the long shocks.
Just an opinion, but I figure the more rise the better on both ends for a street car if you want max traction. The picture is of my Dart running low tens, way back when!

Attached picture 9.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums