Moparts

318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: erick72

318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:07 AM

Ok heres my plans for my 318 build

I have my 318 and this is what I want to do

I have stock 318 heads on there,80s unleaded stock heads,Im gonna be running a stock 340 cam,4 barrel single plain aluminium holley street dominator intake,4 barrel holley carb (dont know but I need a new carb),headers,new timing chain everything else new.waterpump,gaskets, stuff like that.

So Im wondering

Is it worth putting magnum heads on this from a 1992-2000 318/360 magnum heads on this and of course the intake that is special for this setup and the different pushrods.

So does anyone know a price on that "magnum" setup.I know I could find the heads at the boneyard but where the intake?mancini racing will have the pushrods Im guessing.

So any other suggestions for this build.

Please guy don't rag on my underpowered 318.its all i have haha

thanks moparts rules!

P.s what is a good carb for my setup (brand,cfm,etc...)
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/18/09 04:11 AM

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:17 AM

I think the crosswind intakes are ~ $175 or so & dont order the conversion pushrods for this conversion until you mock it up as they have been reported as being too short.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:20 AM

Going with Magnum heads is totally worth it, they beat the snot out of stock 318 heads. I believe you need different length head bolts to use them, though.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:38 AM

this crosswind intake you speak of.is that the name of it?

any links to websites would help!thanks

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:41 AM

do a search on ebay for crosswind...

that probably where the best price is going to be.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:58 AM

this intake?

so i get 318 magnum heads,new pushrods and lifters,new headbolts, and this intake and im good to go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CrossWind...sQ5fAccessories

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:06 AM

and these heads?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-...%3A1|240%3A1308

can i use the stock 318 rockers arms with different pushrods?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:08 AM

must use magnum rocker arms...

must use pushrod that oil thru them

must use lifters that oil thru pushrods...which will listed as AMC/Mopar lifters.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:10 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYSLER-...%3A1|240%3A1318

or these cheaper ones

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:12 AM

the archives has a list of the extra's you need. rocker arms, pedestals, guide plates, head bolts, spark plugs most all lifters have the oiling hole in the top now, possibly can reuse LA valve covers MAYBE different intake bolts/intake gaskets. Rocker arm ratio is 1.6 insteaqd of 1.5.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:12 AM

there are several sets available on ebay..

there is even a set that is drilled for the LA intake manifold...keep looking...LOL

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:13 AM

so it wouldbe better to get this out of a wrecked magnum equipped truck cause thats all there and ready to go?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:42 AM

Those heads would be OK for a mild 318 build. We just installed a pair of them on a 99 durango at work. They are made in China and it is very aparent when you see there quality in person. Actually the casting quality was horrible but the machining was good. They had smaller chamber than regular magnum heads but also smaller ports. As a matter of fact I CCd them while I had them to make sure my eyes were not fooling me. I also checked a couple other sets while I was at it and pulled out some numbers from previous stuff I did.

Head Brand, Chamber CC, In. Port cc, Ex. Port CC, In. Flow @.500

Factory Mag. 64 172 62 212/209 RyanJ/Hughes
Chinese 58 136 64
RHS Pro Topline 63 182 67
Edelbrock Mag. 58 176 75 249/231 RyanJ/hughes
Engine Quest 62 174 65 227 Hughes
R/T 63 239/247 RyanJ/Hughes
Mopar alum. 52

I will try to remember to CC my aluminum magnum ports this week.

The CCs are my findings and flow numbers are Intake @.500 lift and whos bench the flow is from is listed after them. I made them a nice chart when writing in the little box but it won't let me do it on the real screen

Been a while since I checked the R/T and I can not find the port sizes, mabey some one else has that info.

The chinese head a horible casting but for a very mild 318 the smaller chambers could help out, that was the only bonus I could find to running them, the 318 Durango didn't like them over 4000RPM. The R/Ts have rough castings but they look very polished next to the chinese ones. For a cheap set of heads the EQ is a better one and you can get them with a warranty for about the same price and you can get them with a LA intake bolt pattern so you can re-use your intake. The RHS is discontinued but they are super nice heads, I have a brand new pair I will sell for about what an EQ or the Chinese head would cost and I will put the LA intake pattern on if you want. PM me if interested. The R/T and Eddy mag are slightly better flow wise but a lot more $$$.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 05:54 AM

You guys type fast

The Alabama cyl, head ones listed are the chinese ones.

The above link to the clearwater ones are re-man factory heads, don't forget the $100 core charge, at that point you just as well buy the EQ from them or the RHS from me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CHRYS...emZ370142191074

That is the best price I know of on the EQ and that is just stock springs.

The EQ R/T RHS Mopar alum. and Eddy have pressed in seats, the factory ones are induction hardened and the chinese one looked like there was no insert.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 06:04 AM

259 apiece?

are these usa made ones you listed

but im wondering.can i get these heads out of a wrecked car with a magnum engine?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 06:29 AM

Sorry, those might be the chinese ones, the price was higher when I bough my EQs from them a while back and there was no core. There is a core required with those in the fine print. That one has the right pic but sounds fishy. Call them and ask, they were very honest with me about the quality of the chinese one. I can not find the regular EQ on there any more.

You can get heads from a JY engine but be careful, the induction hardening process cracks a lot of them. If you buy from a JY make sure you can return them if they turn out cracked. JY heads should get new valve seals, better springs and valve job at minimum in my opinion but this makes them as much as getting EQ heads even the more $$$ one here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-LA-EQ...emZ370124447607

But you need springs with that one also so this one here should be ready to go with good springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-EQ-MO...emZ370140468788

I think I got my links right this time

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 06:50 AM

but could i get this stuff out a junkyard motor?5.2 liter magnum out of a ram!
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:04 AM

I have heard that the stock magnum heads are often cracked. The ones I have on my 360 were not, but I may have just been lucky.

As for the crosswinds intake I just spent the extra $ for a USA made Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap for the Magnum motors. USA made. No extra bolt holes to plug. It is nice that we're still able to buy parts for our cars that are made here, since with other things we rarely have a choice anymore.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:12 AM

yes it is.i like buying usa made stuff!

so how much was that intake?
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:27 AM

IIRC, About $150 more.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:44 AM

is that crosswinds intake oriental made?

WHY DO THEY NEED TO MAKE STUFF LIKE HEADS IN CHINA THAT REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!
Posted By: mopowered

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 11:30 AM

The crosswinds is what some call a Chinese knockoff of the Edelbrock Air-Gap. It looks good on the surface especially with the extra coolant taps (front and rear IIRC) and the dual-pattern bolt holes (LA and Magnum) but a lot of folks here complain about the build quality around the sealing surfaces. I need to put whatever I can into the local economy so I bought the Edelbrock Magnum Air-Gap and couldn't be happier thus far.
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 04:25 PM

I've had both the Crosswind and the Edelbrock Air Gap...they look very similar and the crosswind did seal fine for me BUT the Air Gap is so much better quality and doesn't make as many "cooling noises" when you shut the engine off.

I have some boneyard magnum heads that I pulled myself, and they're fine...not cracked. I will say that if you run nearly any cam that's not a stock cam you'll have to change the valvesprings. I also had to grind away some casting flash on the OEM heads for pushrod clearance. I use the Summit Racing (I believe they are made by comp or crane) 7.650" Chromemoly pushrods and they are much higher quality than the MP's. Stock rockers, old "LA" M/T Valve covers, and everything seals up great.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:26 PM

ok let me get this straightl.ive had so many mixed answers

i get magnum heads,i clean them,leave the stock rockers on there,put them on the engine with different head bolts since i heard there different,them i go to mancini ask for the pushrods and lifters for this setup and install those,then i get the crosswind or edelbrock intake,set it on seal it up install it,throw a carb on there and fire it up?

is this right or am i missing something

i really thank you guys for this help! like you don't even know!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:30 PM

oh and install the 340 stock cam?.duh!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:34 PM

is this the intake?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelbrock...sQ5fAccessories

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:36 PM

you will need to replace the hydraulic lifters ...
HT-2011 is the part number from summit

you will need new pushrods..they must oil the rocker arms thru the pushrods..

the one MP sells...alot of people say they are too short...

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:38 PM

Quote:

is this the intake?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelbrock...sQ5fAccessories

no..that is the one for the LA heads,,,

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:39 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D7577&autoview=sku

link to magnum air gap

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:46 PM

oh.anyone have a link to the intake?

thanks guys?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:49 PM

you will need:

Magnum Heads
Magnum Head Bolts
Magnum Compatible Intake Manifold
Magnum Intake manifold bolts
Aftermarket/AMC type oil through pushrod lifters
7.650" length pushrods
Magnum rocker arms (these are different from the originals)
318 Cylinder Head Gasket
Magnum Intake Gasket (I recommend the edelbrock one)
Valve Cover gaskets (use "LA" gaskets for 5-bolt covers and Magnums for 10 bolt covers)
Exhaust Manifold or Header Gaskets

Auto cars will also need the kickdown linkage modified or replaced with a cable.

be sure to test fit the heads and pushrods and make sure that the pushrods have adequate clearance as they pass through the heads

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 07:58 PM

how would i modify it with a cable?anyone got a pic?
Posted By: RoyceFlo73

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 08:11 PM

Yearone sells the cable. It'd be better if you could find the linkage off a junker, or see if some could sell you one.

I've used the cables, and they're good. But I think the proper kick down linkage is definatley better.

"how to hot rod small block chryslers" by Larry shepard is a great book that has lots of good information about swaps and whats required.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 08:38 PM

Its extremely hard to run factory kickdown linkage with a tall intake like the RPM air gap or the crosswind, and you'd still have to customize the bracket since the magnum has vertical intake bolt holes.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/18/09 08:48 PM

Rebuild your tranny and add a full manual VB with a B&M or Hurst cable shifter. No more kickdown linkage. Its fun to bang gears with the full manual and youll be set for future hp upgrades.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 05:23 AM

i do have a ratchet shifter cable ran by a steel cable!

so i have to modify the kickdown bracket.has anyone done this?

could i install a manual valve body?is it that hard?

also is a bone stock 340 cam gonna work,cause i don't wanna change out the valve springs ont he magnum heads im gonna be purchasing soon.

Posted By: patrick

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 01:53 PM

ok, for heads, contact www.cmengines.com ask for a quote for some enginequest 318B heads with oem valves & keepers and GM3100 springs and retainers set up at 1.65" IH.

I'd walk away from the chinese heads, I'd go for rebuilt OEM over those.

the EQ 318 heads are magnum heads, made in new zeeland and sold as "iron rams" by hughes. last year I got a quote from CME for $650/pr set up like this. the 318B uses an LA intake pattern. for a 318 I'd use an eddie performer intake (can find used for about $100). I'd snag some junkyard rocker arms.

the GM 3100 springs are a beehive spring w/about 350 lb/in rate and a 1.065" coil bind height. search the "best of" section for "cheap magnum spring" for more info.

for a cam, I'd probably look at a comp XE256.

for kickdown, I modded my 2bbl kickdown to work with an eddie RPM air gap.....
Posted By: 7DRRunner

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 01:59 PM

there's a article in the Winter 2008 edition of Engine Masters magazine

they build a 400HP 318 LA series block on a working man's budget

FYI

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 08:55 PM

Quote:

ok, for heads, contact www.cmengines.com ask for a quote for some enginequest 318B heads with oem valves & keepers and GM3100 springs and retainers set up at 1.65" IH.

I'd walk away from the chinese heads, I'd go for rebuilt OEM over those.

the EQ 318 heads are magnum heads, made in new zeeland and sold as "iron rams" by hughes. last year I got a quote from CME for $650/pr set up like this. the 318B uses an LA intake pattern. for a 318 I'd use an eddie performer intake (can find used for about $100). I'd snag some junkyard rocker arms.

the GM 3100 springs are a beehive spring w/about 350 lb/in rate and a 1.065" coil bind height. search the "best of" section for "cheap magnum spring" for more info.

for a cam, I'd probably look at a comp XE256.

for kickdown, I modded my 2bbl kickdown to work with an eddie RPM air gap.....

ok.i found some used ones for 50 bucks plus shipping.they were off a running car.with rocker arms! im gonna snag those.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 09:26 PM

good price, but you'll need to change springs out of stock mag heads if you plan on running anything bigger than a stock 360 or small summit cam....

also, just because they came off of a running engine doesn't mean they aren't cracked....
Posted By: volaredon

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 10:20 PM

I have all the stuff here I am about to do the Magnum head swap on my 83 D 250 with a 318;
if AT ALL possible I REFUSE to buy China made $#!T
Here's what I did, and it will allow you to run ANY LA intake, so you don't need the special Magnum intake throttle brackets, etc. I had my magnum heads redrilled to the LA intake pattern; same hole location different angle. There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)
I think if I were to do anything different, (I may return the heads for this mod before I swap them in) I would go a lil BIGGER so I could install a Thread insert (Heli coil, etc) in the heads. (Hughes may include this in their job I am not sure) I am using the stock LA spec 3/8-16 intake bolts instead of the Magnum 5/16-18.

Set an LA intake gasket on top of a Magnum head, center-up the ports and you will see the bolt holes are in the same place. I sent an LA intake gasket with the heads to the machine shop so they had a "guide".

I have never seen a set done by Hughes but they modify heads this way quite often for $80. Cheap.
I had mine done by a local job-shop (non automotive) machine shop for a lil less.
But add that to a readily available LA intake (there were a few even at the "all-Chevy" swap I went to yesterday) 2 seperate sellers had LA engine Performers for $50 and $75. The $50 one was grungey the $75 one had been nicely cleaned up.

But this would definitely be a better budget way of having your Magnum heads (cake) and better choice of intake, for a more reasonable price (eating cake too)

I am using the thinner 0.028" head gasket from Mopar Perf and I have their push rods here too; from the stories I hear about pushrods I hope that does not bite me. Everything I hear, says that you need pushrods 0.025" longer than MP's conversion ones. The "normal head gasket is 0.042", so I am hoping that the difference between the thin ones and the thick ones, make up the difference in the push rods working or not. My Magnum heads wound up not needing a "clean up" milling.

On pushrods I have also read that Summit and others, have the 7.650" ones they are a standard pushrod for some engine I am not sure what. (use the "buyer's guide" section where they list each P/N pushrod by length diameter end-type, etc.in the back of the book. IIRC, that length pushrod is a standard length for some Ford motor.

My wife is taking a week off work next week so I will have my "window" to do the head swap, and have a vehicle here to drive during the swap.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 11:05 PM

Quote:

good price, but you'll need to change springs out of stock mag heads if you plan on running anything bigger than a stock 360 or small summit cam....

also, just because they came off of a running engine doesn't mean they aren't cracked....

well i wanna use a stock 340 cam so im guessing im good.

will they even run on and engine if they are cracked?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/19/09 11:09 PM

Quote:

I have all the stuff here I am about to do the Magnum head swap on my 83 D 250 with a 318;
if AT ALL possible I REFUSE to buy China made $#!T
Here's what I did, and it will allow you to run ANY LA intake, so you don't need the special Magnum intake throttle brackets, etc. I had my magnum heads redrilled to the LA intake pattern; same hole location different angle. There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)
I think if I were to do anything different, (I may return the heads for this mod before I swap them in) I would go a lil BIGGER so I could install a Thread insert (Heli coil, etc) in the heads. (Hughes may include this in their job I am not sure) I am using the stock LA spec 3/8-16 intake bolts instead of the Magnum 5/16-18.

Set an LA intake gasket on top of a Magnum head, center-up the ports and you will see the bolt holes are in the same place. I sent an LA intake gasket with the heads to the machine shop so they had a "guide".

I have never seen a set done by Hughes but they modify heads this way quite often for $80. Cheap.
I had mine done by a local job-shop (non automotive) machine shop for a lil less.
But add that to a readily available LA intake (there were a few even at the "all-Chevy" swap I went to yesterday) 2 seperate sellers had LA engine Performers for $50 and $75. The $50 one was grungey the $75 one had been nicely cleaned up.

But this would definitely be a better budget way of having your Magnum heads (cake) and better choice of intake, for a more reasonable price (eating cake too)

I am using the thinner 0.028" head gasket from Mopar Perf and I have their push rods here too; from the stories I hear about pushrods I hope that does not bite me. Everything I hear, says that you need pushrods 0.025" longer than MP's conversion ones. The "normal head gasket is 0.042", so I am hoping that the difference between the thin ones and the thick ones, make up the difference in the push rods working or not. My Magnum heads wound up not needing a "clean up" milling.

On pushrods I have also read that Summit and others, have the 7.650" ones they are a standard pushrod for some engine I am not sure what. (use the "buyer's guide" section where they list each P/N pushrod by length diameter end-type, etc.in the back of the book. IIRC, that length pushrod is a standard length for some Ford motor.

My wife is taking a week off work next week so I will have my "window" to do the head swap, and have a vehicle here to drive during the swap.

im avoiding the made in china trash too.

so where did you get them redrilled?your local machine shop?if i gave them my LA intake could they drill new holes in the heads?

thanks guys you don't understand.this is a hoard of help to me.if i didn't have moparts i would be totally lost!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 12:55 AM

Yup. local machine shop. The difference is whether the holes are exactly perpendicular to the intake mount surface (LA) or whether they are 45* to it as the Magnum intake bolts are.
I did not call hughes up and ask about inserts to make up for where the threads are thin (IDK if it was/is some sort of "trade secret" or somethin) but there was someone here that had made a homemade jig to do the mod "at home", I guess he sold it or loaned it out and "POOF" it is gone. No one that I have ever heard of has ever mentioned whether they Heli coiled the holes or anything but i have seen/heard of many making this mod with no mention of it.
I have a Magnum block on the stand, I am gonna mock up the heads on there and set the intake on with the side gaskets to see that the holes will line up the way they should before I pull the old ones off my truck.
As I said I had this done at a "regular" machine shop not an automotive one. The local automotive one does not have a suitable mill (they DO resurface heads and flywheels but that is not the kind of mill you need) or clamps/blocking, to set up/support the head in the correct position to drill them the way they need to be.
Whatever you do, DO NOT torque that intake to standard LA intake torque specs!!!!Magnum specs will do the job.

I am using my daily driver truck as a "guinea pig" of sorts, if this one turns out well I may put a set of Magnum heads on my 78 Fury (also a 318) before I pull it out for the season.

BTW; I am using the original 1983 318 cam as the Magnums have a higher (1.6 vs LA 1.5) rocker ratio so that will wake up a stock cam, even if only a little.
For a carb, I am using a Carter AFB (elec choke version) NOT an Edelbrock version (using what I have here) not sure whether I will go with the 500 or the 625 version yet though. No diff because, the venturis and butterflies on the primary side are the same on these carbs according to the Carter carb books I have; the difference is all on the Secondary side; so theroetically if I don't get into the "back half" of the carb it should run exactly the same, with either one. I do have (2) Carter "Strip Kits" here to play around with various jets and metering rods on it.

Once I get it back running and the bugs out, I may experiment with one of the Holley 4360's I have laying here(450 CFM 4 BBL Economaster)
Posted By: DUFFMAN

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 02:55 AM

Quote:

There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)

I would bet $$$ that you are going to end up with an intake leak only running 12 ft.lbs of torque instead of the 45 ft.lbs you are supposed to with an LA intake. Maybe not right after install, but eventually and the difference in the coeffecient of expansion between the aluminum intake and the cast iron heads will make it happen even quicker.

The different angles at which the threads go into the head is the reason for the different torque specs, when you are tightening sraight down with the Magnum pattern you are actually pushing the intake surface against the head surface, when you go in at an angle like the LA pattern you are pulling (stretching) the intake to the head thus the higher torque requirement.

Trust me, I'm a engines engineer, i.e. I design engines for a living. I can guarentee you are going to have problems with this set-up.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 05:17 AM

I have re drilled and taped a ton of these useing the LA intake bolts and 25ft lbs tq and have not had one of them come back yet. It was about 5 years ago I first did one and he drives it a lot but he does have a cast iron factory intake, all the others are aluminum intakes and not leaking either.

The intake bolts on an LA are not exactly perpendicular. I made my own jig and used an LA head for the pattern not the intake or gasket. I bolted the two pices to an LA head intake face and clamped them to the chamber side with welding clamps and welded it together.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There are some of them where the threads are thin on 1 side of the hole but using magnum gaskets and the Magnum spec of 12 ft lb instead of the LA 45 ft lb (I think the threads will "pull out" before I get there, and that gargantuan torque is mot needed on an alum intake even on a completely-LA engine.)

I would bet $$$ that you are going to end up with an intake leak only running 12 ft.lbs of torque instead of the 45 ft.lbs you are supposed to with an LA intake. Maybe not right after install, but eventually and the difference in the coeffecient of expansion between the aluminum intake and the cast iron heads will make it happen even quicker.

The different angles at which the threads go into the head is the reason for the different torque specs, when you are tightening sraight down with the Magnum pattern you are actually pushing the intake surface against the head surface, when you go in at an angle like the LA pattern you are pulling (stretching) the intake to the head thus the higher torque requirement.

Trust me, I'm a engines engineer, i.e. I design engines for a living. I can guarentee you are going to have problems with this set-up.

so i should just get the magnum intake?the airgap style one i mean?

it makes since why the heads have the bolts go in that way!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 01:56 PM

link to Dave's thread on his mini-jig

the original jig was built by James (bigblockranger)in texas, his spanned the entire head, and bolted to it using the accessory holes on the front and back. he did the same thing as Dave, built it off of an old LA head (accessory holes are in the same spot between mag and LA heads)...Dave's is a pretty neat and simple design, too.

since you're on a budget, I'd use Dave's suggestion, redrill, and tighten to 25-30 ft-lb...one caveat with the edelbrock magnum intake is the water neck is in the magnum position (biased towards the pass side)...you may run into interference with it if you're running A/C in an older vehicle, most likely a '80-91 vehicle.

as far as cam, the biggest cam I'd run with stock spring is MP part number P4452757, which is 248/256 adv, .410/.425 lift with 1.5's (which is essentially a stock 360 cam). with the 1.6 mag rockers it'll actually be more like .437/.453. even at that, the stock mag springs will start to float at about 5000-5200 RPM. the 340 cam is 267/276 adv duration, .429/.444 lift with 1.5's, or .458/474 with mag rockers. it'll float the valves sooner, and you may have coil bind issues with the stock springs.

Here's my post in the archives about the GM3100 springs

I'd defintitely spend the $140 and get some GM 3100 springs and retainers from gmpartsdirect.com. or if you're cheap, start pulling them off of cars at the junkyard with a valve spring compressor for heads on the car. with these springs, If you're set on a MP cam, I'd use the 260/268, .430/450 lift cam. a comp 260 duration high energy cam would be good, as would a comp XE256. if you're cheap, either summit cam kits would work ok, the smaller one would work better on a street and/or heavier car.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I never liked the 45ft lb spec of the factory LA anyway; I have had the threads pull out at that reading, on dead stock all-LA engines trying to get there. (my mom's '84 5th avenue and dad's 86 B-van come to mind) I've done 35 ft lbs since then on these, with no problems with all cast iron components.and I always anti seize the bolts. IIRC the last couple LA aluminum intakes I have had I have gone ~20-25 w/o a problem. but I don't use the 318-2 barrel shim steel type intake gaskets either.
Alot of the reason for 12 ft lbs is the smaller bolts on the Magnums.
and they liked to snap off upon removal with that small number.

For the guy that had the jig; Did you have any issues with on;y having 2-2/2 full threads on one side of a couple of the new bolt holes? Did you drill and tap for the magnum spec 5/16, or the LA spec 3/8 bolts?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 02:08 PM

Quote:

I have re drilled and taped a ton of these useing the LA intake bolts and 25ft lbs tq and have not had one of them come back yet. It was about 5 years ago I first did one and he drives it a lot but he does have a cast iron factory intake, all the others are aluminum intakes and not leaking either.

I've replaced several LA intakes without using a torque wrench and simply going as tight as I can with a short ratchet and haven't had a problem yet, so I can believe that 25 ft.lbs would be enough, but 12 ft.lbs sounds a bit low to me.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've replaced several LA intakes without using a torque wrench and simply going as tight as I can with a short ratchet and haven't had a problem yet, so I can believe that 25 ft.lbs would be enough, but 12 ft.lbs sounds a bit low to me.

so should i just go with the magnum intake?im guessing thats best.it even kinda makes sense!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 03:20 PM

Quote:

so should i just go with the magnum intake?im guessing thats best.it even kinda makes sense!

Its the 100% no trouble way to go. you even buy the stock Mopar bolts like you had a pickup with a magnum engine and torque them to 12 ft/lbs. The magnum intake bolts are torque to yield, so only use them once.
Posted By: alpha727

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 07:11 PM

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html

This is a link to a 400hp 318 build that I'm planning on building you should read this and compare which would cost more between the two. You could use you're intake and you may have the heads already you would just have to pay for all of the machining.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/20/09 09:56 PM

do they have an intake that can fit my kickdown though?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/21/09 05:01 AM

If you get your magnum heads drilled and tapped to use your holley intake you already have then all your linkage will fit just like before and you can save money on buying a new intake

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/21/09 10:35 PM

your right!

that intake i have took two paychecks for get!anyone have there heads drilled?how much did it cost?how would i tell the machine shop to drill?do i give them my intake for a template?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/22/09 12:47 PM

I'd talk to hotroddave about him making & selling you one of his jigs. all you need is a decent drill, good 5/16" bit, and a 3/8 NC tap.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/22/09 11:00 PM

sent pm Mr.HotrodDave

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/26/09 04:24 AM

Quote:

The intake bolts on an LA are not exactly perpendicular. I made my own jig and used an LA head for the pattern not the intake or gasket. I bolted the two pices to an LA head intake face and clamped them to the chamber side with welding clamps and welded it together.

CRAP!!! I took my heads to a local job shop (non automotive machine shop ) and gave them a set of LA and a set of Mag intake gaskets to go off of; I just tried a mock up of my Performer intake onto those heads atop a 38 Mag block I have on the stand, and some LA FelPro head gaskets I had layin' around, and yup; the bottoms of the bolt heads hit before the tops (closest to the valve cover) do; I guess I take em back and have em re redrilled at the correct angle and Heli Coils installed; they are close enuf that the enlarged holes the Heli Coils require will be able to alter the angle correctly, for an LA intake. I guess that's what I get for [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-u-ming, huh?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/30/09 12:21 AM

ok.

i bought these pushrods for the conversion.

are these the right ones?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopper9.html

i bought them off a guy who swears there the ones for the magnum head conversion.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/30/09 12:25 AM

Quote:

ok.

i bought these pushrods for the conversion.

are these the right ones?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopper9.html

i bought them off a guy who swears there the ones for the magnum head conversion.

while looking on mancini i was wondering.are these the head bolts i need for the conversion?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopmagen.html

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/30/09 01:12 PM

yup, right head bolt set, if the pushrods are the #P5007477, then yes.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/31/09 10:50 PM

awesome and yes they are the right pushrods!

yay!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/01/09 05:02 PM

Crap again; took 2 sets of mag heads (1 was a set off a 360-380HP crate) out to Hughes for drilling to LA intake specs, and all 4 heads are CRACKED!!! thats 3 sets of heads I had with exactly zero usable!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/02/09 04:35 AM

Quote:

Crap again; took 2 sets of mag heads (1 was a set off a 360-380HP crate) out to Hughes for drilling to LA intake specs, and all 4 heads are CRACKED!!! thats 3 sets of heads I had with exactly zero usable!

that really blows!!!!!!
Posted By: AdamR

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/02/09 12:08 PM

eric, what are you running for trans/converter and gears ?

Nice, steetable 318 build I would use the EQ heads drilled for LA intakes, A performer intake with either a Thermoquad or small 600cfm Eedelbrock and a small cam like a CompCams XE25O or XE254

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/02/09 07:24 PM

Quote:

eric, what are you running for trans/converter and gears ?

Nice, steetable 318 build I would use the EQ heads drilled for LA intakes, A performer intake with either a Thermoquad or small 600cfm Eedelbrock and a small cam like a CompCams XE25O or XE254

haha

stock and stock!

i dont know what the rear end is.i wanna pull it out to clean it u and see what gear tag is on one of the bolts!

what are EQ heads?whats a performer intake?

i have a aluminium holley street dominator single plane if thats any good

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/04/09 08:11 AM

If your car was an original small block you more than likely have the 8 1/4".

Do you see bolts around the inspection cover, on back of the housing, when looking under the car from the rear? if so ya got 8 1/4.

An 8 3/4 does not have an inspection cover and the gear or center section bolts up from the front.

How long have ya been the owner of that car?
I remember responding to a craigslist add about a guy looking for 71-72 Satellite/Roadrunner parts but lost the persons email addy.
That wasn't you was it?

Sorry if it was...
I don't really have any small block parts, I might have some connections tho, if ya still need.

Anyways what area are you located?
I'm just northeast of Detroit by the lake.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/04/09 08:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

haha

stock and stock!

i dont know what the rear end is.i wanna pull it out to clean it u and see what gear tag is on one of the bolts!

what are EQ heads?whats a performer intake?

i have a aluminium holley street dominator single plane if thats any good

A performer intake is from edelbrock and its a great 2 plane intake. Better low end torque than the M1. It's lighter too. They make an air gap performer now too that makes gobs of low end torque. My buddy has one on a 350, he had the regular performer 1st, and there is a noticeable difference. The air-gap needs a little more cam though.

I wouldn't use the single plane at all. You need a lot of cam, and RPMs to do anything with it. Unless you plan on being on the track most of the time. Go on ebay or even in the SB parts for sale on this site. You can get a used Edelbrock Performer for a 273/318 small block for less than $100.00. Make sure the threads are all clean, and if its magfluxed and clean of cracks its worth the little extra they'd charge. Buy used, then sand and paint it up.

The performer is much better for street/strip use. Also, run a thermoquad carburetor, a rebuild-able core shouldn't cost more than 40-50 bucks. Demonsizzler on this site charges 200 for a rebuild. Its worth it, still cheaper than a new carb, and anything used needs a rebuild anyways. You can get a GP sorenson kit and a book for 50 bucks too if you want to rebuild yourself.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 05:21 AM

The street dominator for a small block mopar is a tourqy intake with smalish runners and plenum compared to most single planes, also the runners are as long as a dual plane so they are not like most single planes.

There is no performer air-gap for a small mopar. The performer air gap for a small chevy has the same exact ports as the non a-ir gap performer for a small chevy, the only differance is the air-gap so the ideal cam would be the same for either.

I do agree about useing the thermo quad, it is a very good carb when you consider the $$$ you would spend on something else plus the heat insulateing benifits and big 800+ cfm from a carb that will run great on a little engine.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 05:42 AM

Well then, I stand corrected. Do you still thinking the dominator is better than the performer for a street application? Then again, I suppose if he already has the Dominator thats going to be best for him. But generally speaking what would be better?
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 06:03 AM

Quote:

The street dominator for a small block mopar is a tourqy intake with smalish runners and plenum compared to most single planes, also the runners are as long as a dual plane so they are not like most single planes.

There is no performer air-gap for a small mopar. The performer air gap for a small chevy has the same exact ports as the non a-ir gap performer for a small chevy, the only differance is the air-gap so the ideal cam would be the same for either.

I do agree about useing the thermo quad, it is a very good carb when you consider the $$$ you would spend on something else plus the heat insulateing benifits and big 800+ cfm from a carb that will run great on a little engine.

Were the street dominators for 318"s? Or were they fine for 340/360's as well? I didnt know if there was more than one version or not?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 03:17 PM

Edelbrock used to make a "street Master 318" intake I had one on my 79 D 100 shortbed, which I had put in a 69 318 in (higher CR because the 69 heads had smaller chambers) and like the smallest Purple shaft MP cam (P/N ended in 757) with a Carter AFB 625 CFM that thing ran GREAT and pulled down some surprising MPG numbers too; (22+ on the hwy)
and I didn't drive that thing easy either; maybe it was the lack of power steering power brakes and the fact that it was a 833 OD. I was actually QUITE hard on that truck!!!!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 07:59 PM

the street dominator was intended for 273-318 engines that had low hood clearance and needed tq. The perfomer and street dominator would probably be a toss up so use what you got. Either of those two intakes will bolt up and run on a 340-360 but be down a little top end power.

The strip dominator on the other hand is desighned with the bigger 340-360 ports and will make good top end power on those motors but they tend to kill the tq a little motor needs.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 08:16 PM

I have a SB street dominator. It has 318 ports & I am going to use it on mag heads
Posted By: LilRedDave

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/05/09 10:36 PM

Here's the way to go for heads.
Clearwater EQ heads
You can't even buy the parts and labor to rebuild old heads for what these are going for.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/06/09 12:32 AM

I found several places cheaper than them including Hughes!!!
CCH wants $350 too high; I found some for $229 each; EQ's national sales Manager has them listed on Ebay for that! These are "bare" prices/I have plenty of valves from bum cracked heads and access to valve grinding equip to "clean them up" before installing them.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/06/09 01:32 AM

Quote:

Here's the way to go for heads.
Clearwater EQ heads
You can't even buy the parts and labor to rebuild old heads for what these are going for.

carolina machine engines quoted me $100/pr less for ones set up with 2.02/1.6 SBC valves + .1" longer than stock and springs set up for a roller cam w/.55" lift. www.cmengines.com
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/06/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

CCH wants $350 too high; I found some for $229 each; EQ's national sales Manager has them listed on Ebay for that! These are "bare" prices/I have plenty of valves from bum cracked heads and access to valve grinding equip to "clean them up" before installing them.

I believe the CCH heads are not bare but have the 2.02 intakes, springs and keepers.
I have not checked out Carolina but will today.
Craig

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/06/09 04:56 PM

Quote:

There is no performer air-gap for a small mopar.

There is if you are running Magnum heads.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/06/09 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is no performer air-gap for a small mopar.

There is if you are running Magnum heads.

That is a "performer RPM" not a "performer". That has the same ports as the LA "performer RPM" not the regular LA "performer".

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/06/09 09:16 PM

Picky picky

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 01:06 AM

ok

so im confused.the holley aluminum street dominator intake is no good?

oh and by the way

i found a good deal

a cam and lifters

idk what the cam is but the numbers are

.398 260 degree .420270

is that any good?

also will long tube headers out of a 74 valiant four door with a 318 fit my 318 in my 72 satellite with power steering?

the guy wants 100 bucks for the two things.both new!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 01:16 AM

oh yeah will the headers fit on the magnum heads?they are for stock 318 heads.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 01:21 AM

(1) the BB one is very good, the SB one I am going to find out(as I have one in hand) but it should be good (2) I dont know (3) I dont know (4) no

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 02:05 AM

Quote:

(1) the BB one is very good, the SB one I am going to find out(as I have one in hand) but it should be good (2) I dont know (3) I dont know (4) no

haha
im confused?

are you reffering to me?lol

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

haha im confused? are you reffering to me?lol

(1) no need to be confused (2) yes I will from here on out quote what I am commenting on to(try) & eliminate any confusion
Posted By: B9ChargerSE440

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 02:23 AM

i bought mine from summit!

Attached picture 5006468-THEMOTOR340-a.JPG

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the CCH heads are not bare but have the 2.02 intakes, springs and keepers.
I have not checked out Carolina but will today.
Craig

I was comparing CCH's price, for BARE 1.94 heads vs. Hughes' BARE 1.94 heads vs the place I got em from which were also BARE 1.94 heads;
NOT BARE heads from one vendor, vs assembled/prepped heads from another; that's like apples to oranges; with all these cracked heads I have plenty of Magnum head gear to pick from and access to at least a few valve grinding machines!!!! and with all the money I've wasted, buying OEM used Mag heads and machine shop labor for degreasing/hot tanking and crack checking I need to save money SOMEWHERE!!!!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 04:02 AM

Quote:

ok

oh and by the way

i found a good deal

a cam and lifters

.398 260 degree .420270

is that any good?

also will long tube headers out of a 74 valiant four door with a 318 fit my 318 in my 72 satellite with power steering?

does anyone know?
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ok

oh and by the way

i found a good deal

a cam and lifters

.398 260 degree .420270

is that any good?

does anyone know?

Thats a really good deal it sounds like. But Id reccomend the 430 lift mopar performance 340 grind cam. They work well in a 318

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ok

oh and by the way

i found a good deal

a cam and lifters

.398 260 degree .420270

is that any good?

does anyone know?

Thats a really good deal it sounds like. But Id reccomend the 430 lift mopar performance 340 grind cam. They work well in a 318

the guy said it says "high performance cam for 273-360 mopar.it has new lifters too!what does it sound like?a stock 340 cam or a mild 318 cam?

but someone told me this

do i need a roller cam to do the magnum head swap?????

i thought i was fine with a the hydraulic kind listed above.

also will these headers bolt onto the magnum heads?or do i need special ones?
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 02:37 PM

That cam will work--you don't need a roller.
The headers will bolt to the Magnum heads (ports are a little different, but they should seal), but I don't think A body headers will work in a B body.

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/07/09 04:13 PM

Quote:

That cam will work--you don't need a roller.
The headers will bolt to the Magnum heads (ports are a little different, but they should seal), but I don't think A body headers will work in a B body.

well i was thinking they just might because the little a body has a 318,power steering and a full size starter adn my engine bay is bigger anyways.what would get in the way?

are the lifters he has ok too?i just need the oil through pushrods right?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/08/09 02:24 AM

You could NOT use a factory style roller setup if that is your original block; they did not set the blocks up for a roller cam before 1985-ish. You'd have to go with some sort of aftermarket design (read; way more expensive) to go roller on that engine. But as Mopars had the largest diameter lifters you can actually run a bigger cam than a Generic Motors engine could IF the rest of your build can support one. but IF you go Magnum heads with stock Magnum rockers, etc, your 1.6 rocker ratio will make any cam you use in that engine seem a little "bigger" as all 91-older SB Mopars only had a 1.5:1 rocker ratio. (you COULD go aftermarket rockers and find 1.5s for the Magnum setup but that would be a step backwards)

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/09 03:15 AM

Quote:

You could NOT use a factory style roller setup if that is your original block; they did not set the blocks up for a roller cam before 1985-ish. You'd have to go with some sort of aftermarket design (read; way more expensive) to go roller on that engine. But as Mopars had the largest diameter lifters you can actually run a bigger cam than a Generic Motors engine could IF the rest of your build can support one. but IF you go Magnum heads with stock Magnum rockers, etc, your 1.6 rocker ratio will make any cam you use in that engine seem a little "bigger" as all 91-older SB Mopars only had a 1.5:1 rocker ratio. (you COULD go aftermarket rockers and find 1.5s for the Magnum setup but that would be a step backwards)

its ok oller is expensive.i was just making sure i didnt need them!

so im taking it the headers wont fit?

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/09/09 04:01 AM

How did you get that out of it (standard LA headers not fitting) according to what I see in this very thread they should be fine; as far as "a" body headers in your "b" body--- most catalogs list all Mopar bodies together just whether you have a big or small block (318 is SB if you were wondering) is what matters for headers on your combo. Should fit fine!

Re: 318 build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/14/09 05:48 PM

Quote:

How did you get that out of it (standard LA headers not fitting) according to what I see in this very thread they should be fine; as far as "a" body headers in your "b" body--- most catalogs list all Mopar bodies together just whether you have a big or small block (318 is SB if you were wondering) is what matters for headers on your combo. Should fit fine!

good im gonna go get them and see!
© 2024 Moparts Forums