Moparts

6.1 Hemi and Trans swap into Power Wagon

Posted By: Stew4706

6.1 Hemi and Trans swap into Power Wagon - 05/28/08 03:11 PM

I have a 79 Power Wagon and I can get a 6.1 Hemi out of an SRT8 Charger for cheap. I know the engine will bolt right in with new mounts my question is about the trans - is it capable of towing and if not what mods would I need to do ??

Thanks Moparts!!
Posted By: boden

Re: 6.1 Hemi and Trans swap into Power Wagon - 05/29/08 12:40 AM

The biggest problem is the car trans does not use a yoke. (picture attached) Getting the electronics to work could be an issue as well. The new transmissions are also very large comparably. A truck transmission from behind a 5.7 should be a direct bolt up if you are wanting the overdrive and I am sure could handle towing, but is also large although electronic controllers are available. Otherwise it is much easier to use the older small block transmissions.

Attached picture 4458289-4fbb_1.jpg
Posted By: Red383

Re: 6.1 Hemi and Trans swap into Power Wagon - 06/27/08 04:06 PM

Quote:

I have a 79 Power Wagon and I can get a 6.1 Hemi out of an SRT8 Charger for cheap.

I wish I had that problem. I think I'd make it work. You'd probably have plenty of room in the tunnel for the trans, although I don't know if it would handle any towing. Maybe get a trans from a truck??
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: 6.1 Hemi and Trans swap into Power Wagon - 06/27/08 07:19 PM

A buddy of mine put a 5.7L Hemi and 5AT in his 93 Ramcharger, and he said there was a ton of room for everything. He had the work done by Street & Performance, and is loving the results so far. The only thing that doesn't work is the cruise control due to the drive by wire system. He checks the forums periodically, so maybe he'll chime in.

Clair
© 2024 Moparts Forums