Moparts

Which rear shocks with SS springs?

Posted By: twister360

Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/17/09 03:53 PM

I have a 74 Duster that has SS springs and I added 3" lowering blocks to get the rear end back down to somewhat normal. I was able to install the 3 way adjustable shocks on the car but the stroke of the shock seems to be too short. Is there a longer shock to install when adding SS springs and lowering bloks? What brand would you use? Thanks Gary
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/17/09 04:41 PM

Long drag shocks from Mancini racing
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopper33.html
or
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rancho.html
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/17/09 05:04 PM

Maybe something here that will help. Click on SS Springs. carpetperfect.com
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/17/09 08:46 PM

I simply use shocks for an Imperial. They are longer than my stock "B" body shocks. The old Direct Connection chassis manual recomends them.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/17/09 09:35 PM

Quote:

I have a 74 Duster that has SS springs and I added 3" lowering blocks to get the rear end back down to somewhat normal.

What is your intended use for this car?

By adding the 3" lowering block, youve (IMO) added a "lever" between your rear end and your springs. Think about lift blocks on a 4X4 truck. The blocks increase the rear ends leverage to "wrap up" the springs, increasing the possibility of wheel hop.

I realize you did this to lower the car back to a reasonable height. Just wanted to be sure you were aware that there is a downside to blocks. If youre not doing alot of drag racing, you may not have any issues.

To answer your question, I used 77 D100 shocks on my 65 Coronet

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/17/09 10:26 PM

I do go to the track sometime and the car hooks up real good with no wheel hop. I have some Mickey Thompson Street radials and they have excellent grip off the line. I just realize that the shocks are too short and wanted something else. Thanks for the reply Gary
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/18/09 01:43 AM

There are shock extenders out there as well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/18/09 01:31 PM

Yours leafs, shock plates and the bottom ends of your shocks are too far away from your chassis.
The addition of blocks only corrected the ride height.

Lose the lowering blocks and have a spring shop dearch your SS springs.
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/18/09 03:07 PM

Not to hijack, but I can't find any that will fit either. The D100 shocks have too small of a bushing at the top mount. I could probably change the top mount but I paid to have them zinc plated.... I am going to try ordering the ones for the Imperials.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/18/09 05:03 PM

I have '84 D250 truck shocks on my '73 Duster with SS springs. NO lowering blocks though.

I had (too short) Summit 90/10 drag shocks on it before and after installing the truck shocks last fall my 60 foot went from 1.90 to 1.81.
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/18/09 06:22 PM

i used shocks for ramcharger truck

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/19/09 12:41 AM

With the SS springs does you car sit pretty high in the rear? And how does it ride? Thanks Gary
Posted By: ademon

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/19/09 03:24 PM

Are these truck shocks you guys are using just regular Monroe matics, or gas matics or ???

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/19/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

With the SS springs does you car sit pretty high in the rear? And how does it ride? Thanks Gary

Sits about the same as with my old HD ESPO springs. Here's a pic with the SS springs.

The ride is a little harder with the SS springs, but I really only notice on really rough roads, no big deal at all to me.

Re: Which rear shocks with SS springs? - 01/19/09 03:58 PM

Quote:

Are these truck shocks you guys are using just regular Monroe matics, or gas matics or ???

Monroe Gas Matics.
© 2024 Moparts Forums