Moparts

Disc brakes on 8.75

Posted By: Dr Dave

Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 03:52 AM

Looking to add discs on my Cuda with 8.75 rear. I hear I need to change axles to make this happen??
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 04:06 AM

Buy disc brakes for a 8 3/4 then.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By Dr Dave
Looking to add discs on my Cuda with 8.75 rear. I hear I need to change axles to make this happen??

No, you just need to decide whether you desire to go with Green Bearings and eliminate the bearing adjuster, or choose a kit that retains the tapered factory bearings and adjuster, a variety of kits are on the market, each has it's pro/cons...Dr Diff (Moparts Member) has several offerings and a more personal service

Personally I use SSBC disc components on 8 3/4 or Dana 60 applications along with Green Bearings, but I re/machine/replace some components to tailor my applications
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 04:47 AM

Hi Dave,

Contact Cass at www.doctordiff.com and he'll set you up with what you need.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 06:37 PM

Rear discs are available to work with both taper and Green bearings though not all kits will work with taper. The link shows a Dr Diff kit installed with taper bearings. The axles usually need lengthened a little bit to account for the thicker caliper mount plate. I lengthened by welding a thick hardened washer on the end of each axle and then removing material to get the length right so they contact the thrust button and allow adjustment of end play.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post1829736
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By Car Nut

Why got to be a smart a$$ about it?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 09:14 PM

You had to weld washers to the end of the axles? That is odd, I've never had to do that. The DoctorDiff kits I've worked with are bolt on. The caliper bracket is the same thickness as the backing plate so it all bolts right on.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 10:03 PM

Because OEM Mopar axles came with an adjuster on one side only, L and R axle flange stand-out is inconsistent. In other words, one rotor often requires a stack of shims while the other side doesn't have any room for adjustment.

You can install bearing adjusters on both sides, but the easiest solution is to weld/face a washer to the splined end of the axle to center the caliper over the rotor.

Of course, Green bearings always work without modification because the design equalizes L and R axle flange stand out.
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Disc brakes on 8.75 - 05/23/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By toplescuda
Originally Posted By Car Nut

Why got to be a smart a$$ about it?

I suggested buying a disc brake kit for a 8 3/4, doesn't matter if it's an a body, b body, e body, etc. This wasn't meant to sound like a smart a$$ statement.

OP, When buying rear disc brake kits, you want to buy for the type of axle and wheels. Dr. Diff is where I bought my parts. There's https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64 where you buy the brackets and source the rotors and calibers through local parts stores. I would also make sure that the kit/parts fits your wheels.

Attached picture unnamed (5).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums