Moparts

How do you route ministarter wires around headers?

Posted By: BigAg

How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/02/15 07:37 PM

I have a 71 charger with a 440 engine in it. I have headers on the engine and as such have a mancini mini starter with it. I have trying to figure out how to hook the cables from the battery to the mini starter terminals. The stock cables that i bought don't seem to reach if I go around the headers. How did those that have done something similar to this get the cables to get reach the starter terminals? Right now I am thinking maybe i need to solder some length to cables and then attached them to the front firewall and then over to the ministarter.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/02/15 09:29 PM

'71 Ply with a 440, and Hooker's...

Fabbed-up a bracket to support the cable(s) going to the starter...
Posted By: BigAg

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/02/15 10:25 PM

Did you end up making your own cables or did you buy one that went the whole way?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/03/15 12:09 AM

The Hemi cars had a hanger bracket that bolted to the back of the head.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/03/15 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By BigAg
Did you end up making your own cables or did you buy one that went the whole way?

No...

Used an OEM cable...

Later, and a little shorter than a stock '71 B cable...
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/03/15 08:18 AM

I used a new mini starter when I put a new 440 in my '64 Polara. As I recall, I had to change the connector on the starter and I installed the wires that I made up and then hung the starter. I used a protective silicone sleeve over the wires to protect them. It was called "Firesleeve" and used some of the same stuff to protect the push button shifter cable. I found it at an industrial supply house. Good stuff.
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/03/15 10:57 PM

I had to get a set of cables made to get the "slack" I wanted to keep away from the headers. I had somebody make me a set that was 6" longer (starter leads) than OEM and it works fine on my 73 Charger.

I used to the factory bracket that held the cables on the frame rail. I just needed the extra length as the terminals on the starter where on the "inside" of the starter (against the block) which necessitated the extra length.
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/04/15 03:28 AM

I did this and put a dei sleeve around the cable. I used the original cable. You can see it between the second and third header tube and then going up on top of the engine.. Kevin

Attached picture engine install 004.JPG
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/04/15 03:30 AM

Wrong pic, lol, try this one. Kevin

Attached picture engine install 005.JPG
Posted By: busboy

Re: How do you route ministarter wires around headers? - 05/05/15 01:20 AM

I did exactly the same as polar a Pete for the 340 in my a-body. Made up my own set, a tad longer from what I remember, with the right terminals for the mini starter then slipped some asbestos heat tubing over it for a little heat protection from the headers. 6 years, no problems up
© 2024 Moparts Forums