Moparts

Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps

Posted By: Adam71Charger

Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/26/15 08:39 PM

What are the limitations of the stock rocker shafts/arms? RPM limits, Lift limits?
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/26/15 10:15 PM

440 292 .501 Comp Magnum 5800 rpm shift point. owned for 20 + years , driven often. Stock stamped rockers. One rocker failure about 15 years ago. The holes do elongate over time though. They may not look like much,But I definitely have more faith in them than an entry level(cheap) roller rocker.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/26/15 11:14 PM

Depends on exactly which "stock" rocker setup you are referring to.

LA adjustable ones?

LA stamped?

B/RB stamped? early or late style?

B/RB adjustables?
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/27/15 03:22 AM

Stamped from 1977 452 heads. Thinking about using the heads on a basic rebuild engine.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/27/15 03:43 AM

Rule of thumb, .5" lift. They have been used with 509 cams successfully but can fail with heavy springs/frequent high RPM in that application (>6000 RPM?).
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/27/15 03:43 AM

I remember some online Mopar magazine article where they used stamped rockers (probably aftermarket HD versions) on a cam around .530 lift.

I have used the HD variety for years with a .509 cam and eddy heads and springs. No problems at all, not that I put a lot of miles on it, but I don't think I'm pushing the limits with them either.
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/27/15 01:53 PM

I've had 2 Harland Sharp roller tip rockers fail on a professionally built street engine. I'm not exceeding 500hp, so the next 440 get stock rockers.

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/27/15 04:22 PM

Early B/RB stamped units where known to put a pushrod thru the cup in spirited use, so Chrysler stepped up to a thicker metal to fix it. 77's should be that thicker stuff. I believe all the aftermarket stuff available today is also the thicker stuff.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/27/15 07:26 PM

Yeah, a pushrod will poke thru the stamped rocker arms pretty quickly once the spring pressure gets much above stock levels. I've seen it happen a few times on "budget" engines. My old 1 ton truck came home on a flatbed once after a rocker arm failed in the 440. That engine had a very mild 440+6 cam in it with stock type springs.

Re: Limitations of stock rockers/rocker shaft in performance aps - 04/28/15 02:15 AM

I ran a street hemi grind in my 413 with stock stamped rockers and the proper springs with zero issues. YMMV, but I know I had the later and thicker ones. Never put a came with .500" or more lift in my engines anyway.
© 2024 Moparts Forums