Moparts

Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ?

Posted By: GLR

Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/24/15 09:42 PM

I have some 1971 Charger belt mouldings that I want refurbished. Can anyone recommend someone that does a nice job with out costing an arm and a leg? LOL....
Please send me an e-mail; glr7069@ptd.net
Thank you very much!
Posted By: p d'ro

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/24/15 10:35 PM

You can do it yourself but it is timely. I googled it and got mine looking pretty good, but it probably contributed to Tommy John surgery from sanding so much!

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/24/15 10:38 PM

Yea, I know it is very time consuming. I just don't have the time to do it all, so I figured I would ask around and see who I could get to do it, that does a good job for a reasonable price.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/24/15 11:00 PM

Try Paul's chrome plating. They restore stainless trim as well as chrome. They're not cheap but do nice work
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/24/15 11:29 PM

Norther Pa ... there's gotta be some Mennonite that does it for $5 an hour !!!

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/24/15 11:59 PM

LOL... Sorry No Mennonites doing car parts..LOL..
Yea, I have some pot metal getting done at Pauls now, I was hoping to find someone a little cheaper than Pauls to do the stainless parts
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/25/15 12:37 AM

Yeah I ended up doing my own trim when I found out the going rate for quality work is around $20/ft. Thrust me, that adds up fast!

Yes it is time consuming and I had to work on it for an hour or so each night after the kids went to bed. I guess it just boils down to whether you have more time or money.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/25/15 01:24 AM

It's been my experience over the years that there are some really talented people out there that do that kind of work. The problem is finding someone that's reliable. They either have a drinking problem, drug problem or both, are out n out ripoffs, society dropouts or just plain flakes. I got a quote on doing my GTS panel from a shop down in SoCal. They wanted a minimum of $1500 up front. That's to just get started. I told the guy he needed drug rehab.

Be carefull on who you choose to do the work.
Posted By: Dodge33

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/25/15 01:31 AM

How many piece's do you have? What is your time frame? Pm me we can probably do it for you at a good price.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/25/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Norther Pa ... there's gotta be some Mennonite that does it for $5 an hour !!!

Yeah, but when it's done they'll paint it flat black.

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/25/15 03:27 AM

Well, in Northern Pa.. they do Gloss black...LOL
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/25/15 04:03 PM

I did my own. Its OK but not perfect. The biggest problem is scratches. Dents can easily be knocked out but scratches can't be filled and need to be sanded out. In most original used trim there's going to be loads of fine scratches that only appear once you've polished the piece. Fine ones can be sanded out but you're stuck with deep ones. And the sanding process is tedious because most pieces aren't flat enough to be done any way but by hand. So if you only have a couple pieces, sometimes buying new is a better, less expensive option. And now I know why those that do it charge the big bucks!
Posted By: Gearbox

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/26/15 02:33 PM

Whatever you do, DO Not Use All-Trim. This guy has a fancy website, thinks he's a pro, and kept all my parts for almost 4years. The cost near blew my mind when I finally got it back, needless to say the wife never found that invoice...
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/26/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
And now I know why those that do it charge the big bucks!

This hits the nail on the head.

I'm working on my windshield trim right now, and it's very time consuming, and I really get tired of sanding. You have to start at like 220 and work you way up to 1000 or 1500 before you even move to the buffer. And then when you start getting it shined up, you will see scratches that you didn't get out when sanding. So then its back to sanding some more.
I have to do it myself cause I don't have the bucks to pay someone else to do such tedious work.
Posted By: Vert

Re: Who does a nice job on stailess trim (Reasonable priced ? - 04/29/15 04:12 AM

Pro-tip: Cover it with black magic marker. Scratches you might not see otherwise until polish time will show up during sanding.
© 2024 Moparts Forums