Moparts

4.7 dakota plugs

Posted By: Alexdodge

4.7 dakota plugs - 04/22/15 04:23 PM

Need to change the spark plugs after having 130,000 miles. Not sure how to remove the coils off the plugs without damaging the coils. Anyone done this on the 05 dakota before?
Posted By: barracuda7199

Re: 4.7 dakota plugs - 04/22/15 05:00 PM

on my 02 it's just a 10mm nut and give them a light twist while pulling them up off the stud. If I remember correctly I did unplug the wiring before messing with them. I would also give the hole a light blast with air in case there is some sand down in the hole. I also put a dab of anti seize on the threads of the new plugs as well.
Posted By: Alexdodge

Re: 4.7 dakota plugs - 04/22/15 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info barracuda,, Alexdodge
Posted By: ademon

Re: 4.7 dakota plugs - 04/22/15 05:34 PM

Ive used NGK, works fine
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: 4.7 dakota plugs - 04/24/15 03:48 AM

My 4.7L has 190K on it now. I have had best luck with plain old copper core plugs like it came from the factory with. Platinums lowered the mileage, Iridiums fouled and lowered the mileage as well. Best mileage with Champions like the factory put in them.

As for the anti seize tip, that is mandatory if you ever want to change them again, especially if you are not happy with the ones you put in. I skipped that step with the Platinums and really thought I would be pulling the heads to get them back out again, only 5000 miles later. Do not buy the small packet they have hanging next to the plugs, get real package as it does not go stale and it is way cheaper in the long run.
Craig
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 4.7 dakota plugs - 04/24/15 05:22 AM

X2 on the no fancy metal electrodes.

I swapped in Bosch platinums in my 4.7. They failed one at a time over a few thousand miles. The electrode was burnt right up into the porcelain. shruggy

After the third one failed I swapped in a set of Walmart grade Champion Copper cores and all is well.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums