Moparts

904 band adj Q, how to:

Posted By: RapidRobert

904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/20/15 04:49 PM

adjusted front (closest to bell face) band till 1/4" between lever and round "button" in the center of the servo round flat disc. For the rear one I was given a dimention of 5/16" but the "cover" ain't flat & I cant tell where to set the clearance at. Also I was given 3 turns out so I tried that & I went in to 75 in lbs then back out 3 turns & there was no clearance. Short version: how/what do I set this band adj to? this is the one that is adjusted inside the pan. thank you for your time.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/20/15 07:35 PM

Depends on the band i.e. single or double wrap.

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/20/15 08:21 PM

John lemme go find out

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/21/15 02:45 AM

John it is a solid 1 piece/no gap band.

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/21/15 11:17 PM

The solid rear band is usually comfortable with 2 turns out.

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/22/15 02:07 AM

John here's the problem I am having, I go in to 75 in lbs (my wrench is graduated in 25 in lb increments & I'm assuming 3 extra in lbs ain't a dealbreaker) then I come off 2 turns & the band is still tight/contacting the drum. I am assuming it needs to be free/have some clearance & if so then I am going in too far cuz coming back out 2 turns ain't loosening it up enough. More direction please
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/22/15 02:59 PM

Maybe your torque wrench is the problem, just snug it using a standard length 1/4 drive ratchet and come out 2 turns .

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/22/15 04:20 PM

Alright I will do that today. something this simple should not be this hard.

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/22/15 07:27 PM

The problem with using a torque wrench on the rear servo is cushion spring in the center of the piston...if you tighten the adjuster stud enough, the cushion spring compresses when there is no play in the linkage so when the adjuster is backed off part of the travel is used in decompressing the spring.

It's better to turn the adjuster stud in until there is no perceptible slop when pulling down on the lever...use this as the zero point to back off the desired number of turns.

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/22/15 08:12 PM

I will screw it in till I JUST get to zero lash just like your valvtrain then back off 2 turns. if this is correct I'm good & if not then post & correct me further. Thank you!

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/23/15 04:31 AM

I did the above & was pleasantly surprised when I ended up with a significant amount of clearance which was what I was worried about (that I would not have enough) & I'd burn it up. Thank you! I still think something ain't right to where it had to be tightened too far in using the torque wrench however, double R I will check out the wrench & go from there.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/23/15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Alright I will do that today. something this simple should not be this hard.

HaHa!! I was saying this exact thing all morning doing drum brakes on my son's Sunfire! all them springs and brackets and stuff jammed into such a tiny area with this god awful wheel hub smack in the way! mad

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/23/15 09:16 PM

Quote:
HaHa!! I was saying this exact thing all morning doing drum brakes on my son's Sunfire! mad
persuade him to sell or trade it toward a 60's Mopar
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 904 band adj Q, how to: - 04/23/15 10:01 PM

Jeep my friend, he wants a Wrangler (or my Road Runner)
© 2024 Moparts Forums