Moparts

Vacuum advance

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 06:30 AM

Does anybody make an adjustable vacuum advance that will work with a point style BB distributor?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 02:20 PM

Which points distributor ?

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 03:00 PM

The standard mopar single point distributor. I'm putting a Pertronix unit in it, and would like to have a better than stock vacuum advance.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 04:34 PM

If it's like top left,it is already adjustable with 1/8" allen wrench.

Attached picture 8478702-Picture281.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 05:20 PM

As said you can adj how fast the can comes in with a 3/32" allen wrench (CCW gives less adv at a given in hg but the total a can offers stays the same) & 11 (the total) for example stamped on the arm is 22 at the dampener. You can file the notch in the arm (cover the opening to keep shavings out) to increase the "total" available. Need a high quality mini flat file or you'll be filing forever and you can epoxy strips of feeler gauge on either side of the can opening to limit the arms' travel into the can to reduce the "total". alot of trial and error but for a max mileage machine it's worth it. I'd suggest in order: set initial with vac gauge method then total (slot length +initial) for example 35 is a tried and true SB total (which is unrelated/not the can total) by welding/filing the slots then springs & the first (3) adjustments with can hose plugged then plug in & adj the vac can (slope tip in/can total), total first then slope

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 09:09 PM

I don't have one, that's why I was asking if those are available on the open market. I'll take that one that you have. Ha
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/02/15 11:32 PM

I looked and looked for one for 383.

I finally bought another distributor to tinker with and to get the vacuum advance canister, but that one didn't work either, so I have given up on vacuum advance. I had to dial it way back or car would surge anyway, when it was working.
Posted By: convx4

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/03/15 12:57 AM

Rockauto has them.

With a quick search I looked up a 1973 dodge polara with a 440

Vc188- 8"hg @15 degree advance
4v104
vc187-10.5"hg @9 degree advance

Not all cars are listed as having them available, so I search other cars.

By the way I have an old dizzy machine to test and re-curve. Pm me if your wanting a dizzy set up.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/03/15 01:41 AM

Crane used to make them.

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/03/15 02:21 AM

Quote:

I finally bought another distributor to tinker with and to get the vacuum advance canister, but that one didn't work either, so I have given up on vacuum advance. I had to dial it way back or car would surge anyway, when it was working.

You might be too lean and or too much adv from the can but I'd more suspect lean or too much total (initial+slots). I'd confirm that that total is 36-38 which is a tried and true amt for BB's & if you've bumped up your initial you might be way past that. And turning the allen wrench CCW 2 turns at a time & then maybe more & see if the surging goes away. you will be able to get the vac adv to work for you.
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/03/15 05:14 AM

VC187 did not fit Chrysler single point distributor for 1968 383 for me. The arm is a little different.
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/03/15 06:19 AM

hi
19 73 would be a electronic dist .

vac adv will not fit / work on points dist !
Posted By: convx4

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/08/15 05:15 PM

I forgot about the arm being different. Early points units will fit an electronic dizzy but not the other way around.

Re: Vacuum advance - 04/09/15 05:02 PM

worst case, mod the arm so it will fit (assuming you cant find a point can)
© 2024 Moparts Forums