Moparts

Oil press sender

Posted By: LS-300

Oil press sender - 01/13/09 10:07 PM

I have an issue with the oil pressure sending unit in my 92 Dakota w/318 Magnum. Truck has a gauge in the dash and it would seem that the switch or the gauge is bad. I was wondering if I could ohm out the switch or add a potentiometer across the plug and use it to get the gauge to work or verify that it is the problem. The switch is the 2 plug slim type as opposed to the single wire fat one. I've looked for specs for both units, switch and gauge, but have had no luck. HELP!

Re: Oil press sender - 01/14/09 02:34 PM

What has nobody ever checked these out? Or do you just repace things in hopes of correcting the problem? I was wondering what kind of restance readings I should get and if I use a pot across the plug can I mimick the switch?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Oil press sender - 01/14/09 03:31 PM

Better off just buying a new sender or grabbing one from the junkyard. These things die from time to time.
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: Oil press sender - 01/14/09 11:12 PM

Has the gauge worked before with the switch that is in it? Most gauges require the "bell" switch.

Re: Oil press sender - 01/15/09 03:55 PM

The switch in there is the original equipment one. According to the previous owner the gauge quit working about 8 years ago. I also noted that the temp gauge was acting funny as well. I am looking for comformation that the switch is bad or is it actually the gauge? I'm cheap and refuse to just replace parts in hopes of fixing it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums