Moparts

Banjo fitting leaks

Posted By: Crizila

Banjo fitting leaks - 03/22/15 06:22 PM

I have banjo fittings on all 4 of my GM calipers on my 33. Can't get 3 of them to seal. Leaks appear to be between the caliper circular serrated surface and the brass washers. Tried lots of washers to no avail. Any type of sealer I can use in that area? Thanks, John
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/22/15 07:03 PM

Check the seal surface of the banjo for grooves. Try thicker copper washers. If it still seeps, try a little pipe dope.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/22/15 07:14 PM

I have had some issues with certain copper seal rings
but if I recall they were metric rings... I would
check the calipers with some fine sand paper to see
if its close to flat.. I have never tried any sealer
being that is basically a lube to tighten the fittings
and I wouldnt trust it to hold pressure.. it can be
up to 2000+ psi
Posted By: dvw

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/22/15 07:24 PM

Quote:

I have banjo fittings on all 4 of my GM calipers on my 33. Can't get 3 of them to seal. Leaks appear to be between the caliper circular serrated surface and the brass washers. Tried lots of washers to no avail. Any type of sealer I can use in that area? Thanks, John [/quote}
There are different thickness washers. Sometimes the caliper hose hits part of the caliper if the washer is to thin and cocks the hose.
Doug
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/23/15 04:02 AM

Lapped both sides of the banjo fittings with some 600 paper and I think that cured it. Thanks all.
Posted By: mod5v

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/23/15 08:45 PM

I have had some banjo fittings not seat correctly on some gm metric calipers on my dirt cars. you may have that issue just grind the offending area away.
Posted By: mrm82

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/23/15 10:14 PM

Just in case you still have the problems, I went through the same thing a couple weeks ago. I bought stat-o-seal washers off of jegs, they have a synthetic oring mechanically locked into the middle of the crush washer. Cured my leaks right up! They were 4 a piece though!!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/24/15 12:55 AM

I have had replacement copper seals not want to seal and I believe they are to hard to allow a seal. Using the old ones seemed better than the new ones. You do not want any sealants or washers with seals made into them.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Banjo fitting leaks - 03/24/15 06:24 AM

Did you use a copper washer on both sides of the banjo?
© 2024 Moparts Forums