Moparts

Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 01:19 AM

So, I'm going to need to start getting back on my Dart to get it on the road. Does anyone know if the general parts store sell decent brake line benders and flaring tools? NAPA or Autozone perhaps? I have to redo a couple of lines my friend made for the front as I had to front mount my calipers. It didn't seem too hard as I saw my friend make the lines. Measure, bend, cut, flare...

Thank you!
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 01:23 AM

I wouldn't bother with any Autozone tools if you can help it.

If you want good benders, look at Eastwood and consider them an investment that you are pretty likely to use again. Any cheapie benders can get the job done, but are cumbersome to use, like to flatten/kink tubing and just don't do very clean work.

A good flare kit is worth spending a few extra bucks on as well. Good dies and a good holder are essential for consistent, good, flares. Especially if you ever think about working with stainless.

Also keep some wire hangers around, they make for good templates.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 01:27 AM

I don't know about the general parts store but the better equiped stores like NAPPA surely should.
Pick up the yellow pages and call a few places.
Glad to see you going this route.
Once you get the hang of it, it'll be a breeze.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 01:29 AM

Quote:

So, I'm going to need to start getting back on my Dart to get it on the road. Does anyone know if the general parts store sell decent brake line benders and flaring tools? NAPA or Autozone perhaps? I have to redo a couple of lines my friend made for the front as I had to front mount my calipers. It didn't seem too hard as I saw my friend make the lines. Measure, bend, cut, flare...

Thank you!

Normally I agree with Goody, but the cheap one from auto zone worked for me so far.

A few years ago I was working on a brake job at work and lost one of the inserts you use to put the initial "bubble" into the tubing. You know how there's 4-5 sizes and I was missing the one I needed all of a sudden.

Went to Autozone on a Sunday and rented there flaring kit. It was only like 10-15 bucks deposit and the guy said if I didn't return it then I owned it for like 15 bucks or something like that, plus the rental cost. Less than 30 dollars total. So I never took it back, not worth my time. Have used it quite a few times since too and it does a fine job.

I replace a rotted, rusted section on one of my F-450s earlier this week and used that cheapy flaring tool. The truck is 2000 model so it took 15 years for it to happen. The cheap tool put a double wall flare on the original 2000 steel line and also on the end of the custom made replacement un coated steel line.
The parts counter guy said they are selling tons of brake line this time of year because of the salt.

The one(flaring tool) I got from Snap On 25 years ago is a Imperial Eastman, the best in the business. I wore that one out really. Still have it, just missing one of those inserts and never have remembered to order one from the Snap On guy that I see at work.
Plus that one now is in a service truck and gets used for single wall flares in copper tubing as a back up tool. We use a one piece flaring clamping tool now. Retired it to greener pastures. lol

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 01:54 AM

My friend and I actually had that problem with the cheap flaring tools. We had some coated brake lines (from an Autozone or O'Reilly) we used and for whatever reason the flaring tool couldn't get a good grip onto it to flare it so we had to borrow one of my friend's tools to get the job done. But later on we decided to swap over to the non-coated lines as that also improved flaring and bending capabilities.

So NAPA should have a "quality" kind. I'd like to get a start on this tomorrow so maybe I'll drive on down in the morning.
Posted By: manymopars

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 01:57 AM

Purchase the Mastercool part # 71475-PRC flaring kit.I have used all the lesser brands and designs for flaring and nothing compares to this kit,it usually runs around $300.00 dollars on amazon and will make a perfect double or bubble flare every time.set even includes dies for A/C and fuel lines and tubing cutter.
As far as bending the lines what I do is if you have the original lines to use as a template, make your first bend in the new line after the first flare and then proceed to tie wrap the lines together after each proceeding bend in the line you make.Works like a charm.

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 02:03 AM

Quote:

Purchase the Mastercool part # 71475-PRC flaring kit.I have used all the lesser brands and designs for flaring and nothing compares to this kit,it usually runs around $300.00 dollars on amazon and will make a perfect double or bubble flare every time.set even includes dies for A/C and fuel lines and tubing cutter.
As far as bending the lines what I do is if you have the original lines to use as a template, make your first bend in the new line after the first flare and then proceed to tie wrap the lines together after each proceeding bend in the line you make.Works like a charm.

$300!

The lines in my car should be fairly short. One of them is only going from the distribution block to the front of the UCA. Another is just a short section going to the other caliper. I may be removing my line-lock, just for simplicity as I don't want to deal with wiring right now, and replacing it with a short piece of line.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 02:18 AM

Quote:

My friend and I actually had that problem with the cheap flaring tools. We had some coated brake lines (from an Autozone or O'Reilly) we used and for whatever reason the flaring tool couldn't get a good grip onto it to flare it so we had to borrow one of my friend's tools to get the job done. But later on we decided to swap over to the non-coated lines as that also improved flaring and bending capabilities.

So NAPA should have a "quality" kind. I'd like to get a start on this tomorrow so maybe I'll drive on down in the morning.

It's very important that you use the clamp the right way. Always close/tighten the wing nut closest to the tube your flaring 1st and leave the other side open more. Tighten the one wing nut fully that's closest to the tube and then use the "long" side to tighten last that has the leverage and most times not all the way or you will dent the steel line.

Hope that makes sense because I promise you it works and that's how you should use a tube clamp.

I did get some steel line recently that has some coating on it, gater gripe or some crap. I have not tried flaring that stuff yet. Steel line lasted 16 years, I'm good with that in a salty work environment. Don't need or want grater grip or what ever it is but that is what got delivered so I thought I'd try it?
I used regular steel line this week that was in stock here. It's replacement for my stock is that gater grip stuff.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 03:37 AM

I use the AZ "OEM" brand tool. I guess its one step up from the cheapest. Has worked fine on many mild steel flares for brakes and fuel. No leaks. I haven't and wouldn't try it on SS... and would not run SS for that matter as it is a PITA to flare and seal. Other pointers are make sure your cutting tool is sharp and remove the "rim" inside the tube after cutting and before flaring.

As far as benders go, I have two... a pretty good one and a simple one. That said, usually bending by hand seems to work best for me. If I want it "pretty" professional line sets by Inline Tube are the ticket. Otherwise hand bent is OK and functional.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 04:47 AM

I bought a snap on flare tool 20 years ago and it has served me well.
Posted By: tahoechallenge

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 05:24 AM

Look on Craigslist for a quality used kit. I have the Blue Point kit. It is made by Imperial and works great. I use a bender I got from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900156/overview/

It works good as well. I used these tools to modify my stainless brake and fuel lines.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 06:12 AM

The hydraulic type flare tools are nice but expensive. I love mine. For benders you can't beat the needle nose style pliers. They work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Tubing-Bending-Pliers-Brake-Line-Tubing-Bender-Lisle-/261633255093
Doug

Attached picture 8466554-S44.jpg
Posted By: JohnH

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 02:27 PM

Why don't you buy all new pre bent lines.. I bought them for my B Body,, they was bent perfect.. There are several places that sell them.. And not that expensive,,
Posted By: Birdturd

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 03:27 PM

Muu.... My '01 silverado needed the rear lines all redone, I purchased a flaring kit from the local napa and some of the poly coated steel brake tube and nuts for it and went to town bending.

Read the directions on the packaging for how to use the tools (what challenger1 was refering to) and follow them and you should have tubes bent before you know it.

I think the flaring tool cost somewhere in the 80 dollar range but like others have said it's an investment for the long run
Posted By: srt

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 03:48 PM

you're young enough to invest in your future
this works good as well I've had min over 30 years and going strong. Best to use a socket and wrench over an box end, unless you have a straight box set.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 07:05 PM

I have a Blue Point set i bought 25 years ago.I used mine plent at work and home.My son bought a set from Summit.It did work pretty godd especially for like 5 bucks on clearance at the time.Rocky

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 07:11 PM

Sweet. Great advice and lots of options to choose for. The reason for not buying pre-bent lines was my friend and I were working on the car and we come up with the amazing idea of "Hey man... Let's make our own lines!" And it all went from there. I really want something that's an over-the-counter tool as I'd like to start working on this hopefully by today. The closest good-sized NAPA is about 15 miles away. Autozone is only about 2 miles away.
Posted By: Instigate

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 07:58 PM

I prefer this style brake tube bender than any other.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p...JwXFBoCZ07w_wcB

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 08:18 PM

Quote:

That's the style my friend has.

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 08:57 PM

What are you guys using to cut the tubing? A Dremel?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 10:45 PM

Quote:

I have this one as well. It won't make the tight bends like the pliers. Why not buy pre-bent? Pure and simple, cost. You can buy the tools and material for less than the cost of one set. Then you own the tools and have the skill to do your own. Buy the line by the roll, $15/25ft.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/3-16-Inch-Steel-Brake-Line-25-Ft-Roll,1990.html

I find it easy to make a template out of tig welding rod (or coat hanger). If you don't like your work, pitch it and make another. Won't take long until you are good at it. Any body can buy it, a Hot Rodder builds it.
Doug

Attached picture 8466965-S43.jpg
Posted By: JohnH

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 11:09 PM

I agree!!! Go pre bent..If you never made those type double flares you will mess up a lot of tubing.. Like I said in my earlier post,, go pre bent.. And if you do, and you get the stainless steel be sure to put some extra torque on tighten them, or they will seep out fluid. I bought stainless and it looks great!!

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 11:13 PM

Quote:

I agree!!! Go pre bent..If you never made those type double flares you will mess up a lot of tubing.. Like I said in my earlier post,, go pre bent.. And if you do, and you get the stainless steel be sure to put some extra torque on tighten them, or they will seep out fluid. I bought stainless and it looks great!!

To go pre-bent, I would have to tear out my entire brake line setup again. We already did 90% of it. I just have to replace a couple feet of it.

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/21/15 11:13 PM

I just bought a flaring kit and the tubing bender mentioned above form NAPA. I just need to get a tool to cut the line as I forgot to pick up a tubing cutter or the likes.

I'm trying to get this car running, and hopefully on the road, before Friday so purchasing some lines online is a no-go for me.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/22/15 03:07 AM

Quote:

What are you guys using to cut the tubing? A Dremel?

A tubing cutter with sharp wheel works fine on mild steel line. Just need to remove the ridge inside the tube after the cut. The "point" on the cutting tool works for this or a light touch with a die grinder or Dremel.
Posted By: go-fish

Re: Brake Line Bending/Flaring Tools - 03/22/15 03:21 AM

Can
t agree more with the advice for the NAPA flare tool. I think they had two different ones and I got the more expensive one. Get a tubing bender, otherwise you could kink or crack the line. Just do it the right way. For cutting the line use a tubin cutter. It has a wheel that you adjust with a knob as you cut further and further into the line. No shavings that way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums