Moparts

Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner

Posted By: STROKIE

Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 09:33 PM

I’m planning to install my new Performer RPM manifold, after removing my M1 dual plane I take a look intake valves and all have a sooty mucky buildup on it, and I don’t like the idea to remove heads for cleanup…
I read DIT engine (direct injection turbo) require sometimes a cleanup for intake valves due to no fuel to clean valves. Dealer like BMW Audi etc. remove carbon by blasting valves…
These carbon deposits can only be cleaned of by blasting the valves with crushed walnut shells.
I know I can add products into intake like Seafoam engine cleaner but If I don’t see the results, I can’t be sure if this stuff work.
I made my own walnut blaster very easy to do and cheap….
First : you need walnut media I used 12/20 (medium) but 20/30 is acceptable.
Second :Plastic Intake port template, Drill one hole for shopvac and one hole for the blaster.
Third : Add 3/8 copper line to the gun with the proper shape to fit the bowl.
I will improve in the future with aluminum for template.
After three minute of blast the valve is like brand new.
The head I use for test is 516 now I will clean the heads on my engine and don’t worry I don’t have any mess with this set-up.
Happy clean-up

Attached picture 8459858-Charger011.JPG

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 09:35 PM

Sorry I must add picture

Attached picture 8459862-Charger012.JPG

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 09:36 PM

next

Attached picture 8459864-Charger015.JPG
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 10:43 PM

Cool ! Good ol' Canadian ingenuity !!

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 10:57 PM

Quote:

Cool ! Good ol' Canadian ingenuity !!

Thanks I like to share my ideas to moparts fans...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 11:07 PM

Why not just drop the valves?

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/14/15 11:14 PM

Quote:

Why not just drop the valves?

The reason I bench test first because I want to do it on engine with heads on it...
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/19/15 02:47 AM

Hmm...looks nice, I also happen to want to do that very same thing...because my old valve seals were leaking huge amounts of oil which is now nicely baked onto the valve head and the stem.

However...the vacum will not pull out all the blasting material...so is it that the wallnut stuff, being organic and easily burned (I am guesstimating this), is OK to be pulled into the combustion chamber???

I mean, it is still abrasive, no? So if loged between the piston ring and cylinder wall will it not score something? Or is it simply too darn soft to do any harm?
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/19/15 04:43 AM

Don't worry, it will only take out your rings, pull the heads and do it right and save a total oveurhaul.. Tim
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/19/15 01:40 PM

Quote:

However...the vacum will not pull out all the blasting material...

It will if you blast just compressed air in the "blasting" port while vacuuming after you're done.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/19/15 01:49 PM

What about all the grit that's going to get in the valve guides?
Do it right and pull the heads and valves or don't do it at all.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/19/15 07:21 PM

Quote:

What about all the grit that's going to get in the valve guides?
Do it right and pull the heads and valves or don't do it at all.

If your guides are so sloppy that grit is getting up in there it's time for a valve job anyway. Not that walnuts really grits up.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/19/15 07:35 PM

Walnut shell blasting to remove carbon buildup on valves was used extensively by BMW a couple of decades ago.

The walnut shells are organic and burn. They are softer than the metal so they can't damage it, but harder than the carbon deposits. Anything that doesn't burn when the engine starts up again, gets blown out of the chamber.

There isn't a downside to doing this. The upside is depending on engine controls, it may result in increased mileage. It will for sure increase power to pre-buildup levels.

R.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Just finished bench test my new intake valve cleaner - 03/20/15 05:27 AM

Quote:

Walnut shell blasting to remove carbon buildup on valves was used extensively by BMW a couple of decades ago.

The walnut shells are organic and burn. They are softer than the metal so they can't damage it, but harder than the carbon deposits. Anything that doesn't burn when the engine starts up again, gets blown out of the chamber.

There isn't a downside to doing this. The upside is depending on engine controls, it may result in increased mileage. It will for sure increase power to pre-buildup levels.

R.

BMW still uses it. Still have problems. Valve stems leak oil.

Just saw techs at a BMW dealership using one today.
© 2024 Moparts Forums