Moparts

Best clay to use for piston/valve check?

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/13/15 08:58 PM

What kind to ask for? Where to get?
Thanks mike
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/13/15 09:08 PM

I use light springs and feeler gauges to check mine but years ago I've used this. It can be bought easily at craft stores.

https://www.google.com/search?q=modeling+clay&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/13/15 09:12 PM

Play Doh

R.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/13/15 10:35 PM

Who cares, as long it it compresses and holds it shape. Nothin' technical about it ... plasticine from the dollar store !!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/14/15 03:03 AM

Quote:

What kind to ask for?

Call the hobby stores till you find one that has a very small quantity of it cuz you dont need much & when done seal it in a small baggie so it stays moist/dont get hard. I'd think several lumps as big as your thumb or maybe a slight bit more would be plenty (enough to set in the valve reliefs)
Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/14/15 03:09 AM

I used .99 cent store silly putty.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/14/15 04:19 AM

Don't forget to grease or oil the surface so the clay doesn't stick to the valve and ruin the reading.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/14/15 10:54 PM

Tape a couple of pieces of 1/8" solder around the valve relief...holds its shape and gives a more precision reading using a mic/calipers.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/15/15 02:25 AM

i've heard to use a tootsie roll, then pop it in the freezer, mic it, then eat it, seems like it would work just fine then you get a treat after.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best clay to use for piston/valve check? - 03/15/15 02:26 AM

Quote:

Tape a couple of pieces of 1/8" solder around the valve relief...holds its shape and gives a more precision reading using a mic/calipers.

ding ding ding I do believe we have a winna . John is the man. I'm gonna do it. I never did like that oily clay mess either
© 2024 Moparts Forums