Moparts

2009 Ram Bodies.

Posted By: Grizzly

2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/13/15 07:37 PM

For the 2002 to 2008 Rams rust over the wheel wells is an awful, but common sight. My question is for the people out East if this mess is showing up on the 4th Gen trucks?

Thanks.

Attached picture 8458796-rust.jpg
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/14/15 07:30 PM

The newer trucks have full wheel well liners, at least my big horn does. Should help prevent the massive rusting.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/14/15 07:45 PM

Quote:

The newer trucks have full wheel well liners, at least my big horn does. Should help prevent the massive rusting.

My Boss's son has a 2013 Ram 2500, typical rust out above the rear wheels is already reared it's ugly head, esp with the truck being white, both sides, drivers more prevalent, this winter's salt usage will clearly blow the blistering bulging mess out....
Posted By: allmopar

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/14/15 11:53 PM

My 2001 3/4 ton had full wheel liners and they still rotted out bad. Above all 4 wheels. I will not spend my my money on another truck that rusts so bad, so quick.

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 05:44 AM

Oh awesome.

Thanks to the Ram Engineer who decided to go with general motors' sheetmetal on the 3Gen and up trucks.

My '01 is still far from rusting (West Coast) and so are most of the other 2Gens out here.

Those wheel-liners make the problem worse: all the salt and spray finds its' way up into the box and the liner doesn't let you get a pressure washer blast in there. You either have to pull the liner out everytime you wash or pull out the tail-lights to access inside the box panels.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 04:51 PM

Hey where'd you get a picture of my truck!
My 05 has the same problem (not that bad yet though). I don't think its bad metal, I think it's a design flaw, there's a big gap where the inner box/wheel well structure meets the outside of the box. There's drain holes there but they're too high up and mud forms in a 1" crevice at the bottom of where the panels meet, exactly where the rust is in your picture. You can clean them out by pulling the tail lights out and spraying the gap between the out and inner box from there, but that's a pain. The ones I've seen around here that aren't rotted out have be wheel well liners, so they seem to help
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 04:59 PM

My 05 is still clean.

Sheldon

Attached picture 8460742-firestorm007.JPG
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 05:49 PM

Along the upper wheel lip of the bed they used a spray-foam like material and this is where the rust is coming from after it gets wet and rusts from the inside out. Mine has started and will most likely have new bed sides installed.
Posted By: MOBodyman

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 05:53 PM

Quote:

My 05 has the same problem (not that bad yet though). I don't think its bad metal, I think it's a design flaw, there's a big gap where the inner box/wheel well structure meets the outside of the box. There's drain holes there but they're too high up and mud forms in a 1" crevice at the bottom of where the panels meet, exactly where the rust is in your picture. You can clean them out by pulling the tail lights out and spraying the gap between the out and inner box from there, but that's a pain. The ones I've seen around here that aren't rotted out have be wheel well liners, so they seem to help

There is also some kind of foam where the inner and outer panels meet. I've seen some trucks with so much in there that it covers the 'drain' holes (yes, they are up high) while on some trucks there isn't very much foam in there.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the foam is or how much is actually supposed to be in there. I think maybe it is supposed to keep water from getting to the area where the inner and outer panels meet but I think it eventually starts soaking up water.

It's not really a pain to pull the taillights, two screws and pop them out and wash inside the wheel wells. No one seems to take the time to do it though.

I haven't seen any of the '09-up trucks rusting around here so far.
Dallas

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 05:56 PM

Quote:

Along the upper wheel lip of the bed they used a spray-foam like material and this is where the rust is coming from after it gets wet and rusts from the inside out. Mine has started and will most likely have new bed sides installed.

You treed me about the foam..lol..

Yep, the best repair is new bedsides. I haven't had much luck with repair panels holding. The 'cheap' repair is fender flares...
Dallas

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 06:07 PM

Excellent information, Dallas, thank-you!

Have you had an '09 and up apart to see if they have the foam?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 08:01 PM

They are rusting here really fast & really bad. THE PROBLEM IS a sheetmetal bracket panel that is welded on to give rigidity to the upper part of the wheel opening - it runs very close to the outer skin of the bedside & traps mud & moisture. You can feel this if you reach up there. On trucks with the plastic wheel liners, you have to remove the liners to access this inner panel & once you reach up there & feel it, you'll understand the problem. What I did on my 2008, was thin out with mineral spirits some Texaco rustproofing I have & sprayed it all around in this area, then I put on an old cloth glove & took a handful of the goopy (full thickness) undercoat & smeared it all around in the entire wheel lip area. NO moisture will ever reach those areas on that truck anymore. I traded it in back in 2012, but I'll be whoever has the truck now has no rust there! (BTW, the Texaco rustproof formula is no longer available - it's been gone for years, but it had the consistency of thick grease. I would substitute for a grease & I think you will get the same effect. The grease will never turn hard & it will always displace moisture).
Posted By: Murfman1967

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 10:06 PM

Guy I work with has a 2011 that is showing rust on the front fenders. He keeps it spotless and barely drives it, has a company truck for the daily commute.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/15/15 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You treed me about the foam..lol..

Yep, the best repair is new bedsides. I haven't had much luck with repair panels holding. The 'cheap' repair is fender flares...
Dallas

My truck doesn't look like it has any foam, it's the mud that forms in there thats rusting mine. How come replacement panels don't hold? Are they poorly made?
Posted By: BlwnCrcab

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/16/15 04:17 AM

Quote:

THE PROBLEM IS a sheetmetal bracket panel that is welded on to give rigidity to the upper part of the wheel opening - it runs very close to the outer skin of the bedside & traps mud & moisture. You can feel this if you reach up there. On trucks with the plastic wheel liners, you have to remove the liners to access this inner panel & once you reach up there & feel it, you'll understand the problem. )

I just bought a 06-07 rust free bed to go on my 05. no rust on outside look inside you can see rust in wheelwell area (bed is upside down on trailer easyto see) I drilled spotwelds took out outer fenderwell. lots of rust in there cleaned it coated it with KBS coatings (POR 15). would have rust holes in a year if I hadn't done this.
thinking abought spraying used oil everywhere I can once or twice a year
Posted By: BlwnCrcab

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/16/15 04:22 AM

looks like I don't know how to use the Quote thing right LOL

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/16/15 07:59 AM

Quote:

Excellent information, Dallas, thank-you!

Have you had an '09 and up apart to see if they have the foam?

No, I haven't had to replace a bedside on an '09-up yet. I guess I ought to take the taillights out on my '10 and take a look from that direction. Not sure if you can see anything with the lights out...
Dallas

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/16/15 08:15 AM

Quote:

My truck doesn't look like it has any foam, it's the mud that forms in there thats rusting mine. How come replacement panels don't hold? Are they poorly made?

It seems like some have more foam than others for some reason.

The panels may not be made of high quality metal but the problem seems to be the welding burns off any coating on the back side so they start to rust where you weld them in. I've tried to get up in there and clean the welds and put some type of rustproofer on them but haven't been very successful. A lot of times the rust comes back in a couple of years anyway.
Dallas
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/16/15 01:40 PM

At one point you could blame operator error on the quantity of seam sealer that was applied to the area above the rear wheel wells.
It was applied strictly by the operator on the joint before the inner and outer bed sides were spot welded together at the marriage operation.
I did that job a few times. Once you got the hang of it, it was far from the worst job in metal shop.

The fact that the seam sealer was applied prior to spot welding may be why it looks more like foam than seam sealer, the spot welding process probably boiled it from the heat of the welding process.
It wasn't a foam when it was applied to the bed sides sheetmetal parts.

When they retooled for the 2002 body style they completely redid the metal shop and automated more of the process, whether that process was automated I can't say since I was in the chassis dept by them.

They spent $200 million to redo the metal shop for 2002 and the closed it all and tore everything down 7 years later.

Go figure.
Posted By: Todd

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 03:51 AM

The problem is the closeness of the inner and outer panels and the foam.
That being said, I have a 96 F150 that has zero rust. I spray hydraulic tractor oil with an under coating gun I got from Eastwood once a year. I remove the body plugs and tail lights and soak it.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 03:55 AM

You all fail to nail the true problem.

It's the crap your states are putting on the road that is actively destroying your vehicles.

I have an 05 Ram that gets driven daily, year round with zero rust.

Why? Because they do not use chemical on the roads around here.

The state has been destroying your vehicles for decades and y'all continue to blame the manufacturers.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 05:09 AM

Quote:

It's the crap your states are putting on the road that is actively destroying your vehicles.

The state has been destroying your vehicles for decades and y'all continue to blame the manufacturers.

True, but you have mild winters normally in Texas.

A little snow and ice like this year and you have massive fender benders down there because no one is used to driving on the stuff.

Without all the crap that they put on the roads up here during the winter none of the snow and ice would melt anytime before spring.

My cure for it is don't leave the house during winter.

Not everyone can do that though.

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 06:24 AM

Quote:

At one point you could blame operator error on the quantity of seam sealer that was applied to the area above the rear wheel wells.
It was applied strictly by the operator on the joint before the inner and outer bed sides were spot welded together at the marriage operation.
I did that job a few times. Once you got the hang of it, it was far from the worst job in metal shop.

The fact that the seam sealer was applied prior to spot welding may be why it looks more like foam than seam sealer, the spot welding process probably boiled it from the heat of the welding process.

When they retooled for the 2002 body style they completely redid the metal shop and automated more of the process, whether that process was automated I can't say since I was in the chassis dept by them.

They spent $200 million to redo the metal shop for 2002 and the closed it all and tore everything down 7 years later.

Go figure.

Thanks for clarifying the process. The stuff does feel more like foam than seam sealer to me. Maybe the welding process is what makes it seem so inconsistant in amount and effectiveness.
Dallas
Posted By: bee1971

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 11:25 PM

Living In WI

I had an 04 1500 for 7 years , no rear wheel well liners installed , ZERO RUST when I traded it in

It got washed , power washed , in the winter all the time

My 2011 is perfect / spotless !!! And this one came with rear wheel well liners installed

You know for every 03-08 that I see in WI , one will have rust , the other will not

Have yet to see a 09 and up with any rust , and I look

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Go figure.

Thanks for clarifying the process. The stuff does feel more like foam than seam sealer to me. Maybe the welding process is what makes it seem so inconsistant in amount and effectiveness.
Dallas

Would explain what I just posted in my other thread

For every one that has rust , there is another that doesn't - Talking In WI
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/17/15 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True, but you have mild winters normally in Texas.

A little snow and ice like this year and you have massive fender benders down there because no one is used to driving on the stuff.

Without all the crap that they put on the roads up here during the winter none of the snow and ice would melt anytime before spring.

My cure for it is don't leave the house during winter.

Not everyone can do that though.

No real massive fender benders where I live, just the big city where, apparently, living there makes you lose your mind or something.

Last year I had to help my daughter move into their first home up in Abilene. What normally takes maybe 1.5 hours driving the limit too me almost 4 hours due to ice. Yeah, I was doing 35 on the highway, but that was as fast as was safe to go. Yes, I got passed too.

Anyway, just one more reason to live where I do. No rust. I hate working on cars from the rust belt.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/18/15 12:07 AM

Further north the vehicles don't rust as bad because they can't use salt or other chemicals anymore, they aren't effective below a certain temperature. Colorado vehicles usually aren't too bad either, they just seem to dump sand/gravel down instead.

My 05 is destroyed, it's really discouraging. It was clean until around the end of 2013 and then fell apart all at once. Large holes on the passenger side, bubbles on the driver's side, holes in the quarter panel area behind the wheel, tons of bubbles in the rear bumper, the edges of the rear doors, the frame crossmember by the spare tire....and my rocker panel on the passenger side front has large holes in it too.

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/18/15 12:20 AM

They use plenty of salt in WI

All the snow is gone as of last week

You should see the salt piles everywhere on the roads , we need a good couple of days of heavy rain before I even think of pulling out the Bee

U.P. Michigan uses sand just north of me
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/18/15 12:34 AM

Yeah, the UP and Canada seem to not use salt. I grew up in Wisconsin and live in Detroit now, the upper midwest I think it the worst region in the USA for vehicle rust. The east coast is bad too, but not as bad as what I see around here. I'm sure some of that is due to the lack of vehicle inspections here in Michigan though.

I forgot to mention the heat shield on my passenger side exhaust manifold also rusted off.

Re: 2009 Ram Bodies. - 03/21/15 11:53 PM

Pulled the plastic rear wheel tubs out this morning , was interested to see what my 2011 looked like after 4 winters in WI/MI. Honestly , it was pretty damn clean behind there . Was pretty happy looking over everything . Cleaned everything up with WD-40 , metal looked factory new . No moisture or surface rust anywhere .

Those plastic wheel well tubs really keep the salt-dirt-sand out

© 2024 Moparts Forums