Moparts

Rear Differential Question.......

Posted By: Finoke

Rear Differential Question....... - 03/11/15 11:41 PM

I have a 70 Barracuda that I am moving the springs in 1" with a spring relocation kit.

My intention was to weld the new perches 1" in from the previous location. But like a lot of mopars my rear wheel clearance to the outer wheel housing is different from side to side. The difference is 1".

Can I take that difference out when welding in the new perches without any negative impact. It would mean moving the one perch in 1/2" and the other perch in 1 1/2".
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 12:40 AM

Why not just put a B body rear in it? Just bolts in
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 12:45 AM

I don't see why you can't center the rear end in the car, but I'd hope you waited until the springs have actually been moved, then place the rear end. No telling if those spring hangers are even amounts from the sheetmetal.

R.

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 01:08 AM

Quote:

Because I didn't know that trick 10 years ago when I bought the e body Dana.

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 01:10 AM

Quote:

I don't see why you can't center the rear end in the car, but I'd hope you waited until the springs have actually been moved, then place the rear end. No telling if those spring hangers are even amounts from the sheetmetal.

R.

Good point. Will rehang the springs first on the off sets then measure again. Very good point.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The 1970 E bodys and 1971 B and E bodys are the same width on the Dana 60 As far as your body panels and wheel and tire fitment in the car differences, welcome to the wonderful world of mass produced muscle cars
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 03:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The 1970 E bodys and 1971 B and E bodys are the same width on the Dana 60 As far as your body panels and wheel and tire fitment in the car differences, welcome to the wonderful world of mass produced muscle cars

They are not the same length. 71-B's are about 1.5 inches wider than a 70-71 E rear.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 04:01 AM

Quote:

But like a lot of mopars my rear wheel clearance to the outer wheel housing is different from side to side. The difference is 1".

Can I take that difference out when welding in the new perches without any negative impact. It would mean moving the one perch in 1/2" and the

Make I'm missing something but it sounded to me like he would like to shift the axle over sideways (1/2" to split the 1" difference) to even out the wheel to fender clearance. If that ain't it just disregard this

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 07:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They are not the same length. 71-B's are about 1.5 inches wider than a 70-71 E rear.

I'm under the impression the Dana 60 for both the E bodys and 1971 B bodys are 56 inches from the axle housing end to end on both and the axles are intercahngeable on both I've never heard any one say what your saying, never Have you seen or measured different?
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 07:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm under the impression the Dana 60 for both the E bodys and 1971 B bodys are 56 inches from the axle housing end to end on both and the axles are intercahngeable on both I've never heard any one say what your saying, never Have you seen or measured different?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=5#Post4161878

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 09:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=5#Post4161878

I stand corrected, thanks for the help

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 11:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But like a lot of mopars my rear wheel clearance to the outer wheel housing is different from side to side. The difference is 1".

Can I take that difference out when welding in the new perches without any negative impact. It would mean moving the one perch in 1/2" and the

Make I'm missing something but it sounded to me like he would like to shift the axle over sideways (1/2" to split the 1" difference) to even out the wheel to fender clearance. If that ain't it just disregard this

Correct. I am Just trying to shift the rear left to right. I should have left out the spring relocation part in my question. Sorry to confuse everyone.

It makes no difference in my question except that is the real reason I am moving the spring perches.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 03:28 PM

I'd install the springs, then center the rear.

Re: Rear Differential Question....... - 03/12/15 06:00 PM

Quote:

I'd install the springs, then center the rear.

Will do, thx
© 2024 Moparts Forums