Moparts

PT cruiser ? are they any good?

Posted By: keith airgrabber

PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 06:55 AM

Looking to replace my Honda civic with a daily driver. I was thinking about a turbo Pt Cruiser. Or a non turbo. Anyone have opinion on these cars?
Posted By: Instigate

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 08:58 AM

I've worked on a couple. Wasn't thrilled.
Posted By: ProStock1320

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 10:53 AM

Wife has a '02 non-turbo. She loves the gutless wonder - mostly because it's purple. I don't see the attraction, but "Happy wife, Happy life."
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 02:20 PM

Generally reliable with proper maintenance. Little small in the cabin space and a little underpowered.

The body integrity is good. Had a good friend get rear ended at 35 MPH while sitting in traffic. Got pushed into the car in front, which sustained a fair amount of damage. Replaced both bumper covers on the cruiser and that was it! Body shop that repaired it commented that they'd been pretty impressed with how tough the Cruisers were when in a wreck.

Bushings in front suspension, timing belt, trans flush are the three things I know of to watch.

Somewhere I'd heard they were intended to have a V6 but the engine development didn't work out so they rushed to fit the 4 cylinder in them.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 02:43 PM

Nothing but good things to say.
Bought one new in March 01`. Non Turbo/5-speed manual.
Still drive it eveyday 220,000 miles. NEVER a break down or failure to start. Still gets 30mpg.
Its geting rusty,but would`nt hesitate to head on a long trip today.
Looking to find a low mileage one to replace this one.
Posted By: BDW

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 03:45 PM

Replace a Honda with a PT?
Why? Don't understand the loyalty to a poor quality brand.
The muscle cars fine, but a PT?
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 04:04 PM

I had a non-turbo PT before purchasing my 06 Dodge Grand Caravan. I liked the PT but it was underpowered with the standard 4 cylinder. I was not impressed with its MPG. I believe that my V6 Grand Caravan gets better MPG.
Posted By: therocks

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 04:26 PM

The wife got her 03 in 04 Other than brakes control arm bushings and belt and water pump its been good.Has close to 140K on it.Im 6 3 and fit pretty good in it.The best we get though is about 24 MPG.Rocky
Posted By: jose jones

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 04:51 PM

Quote:

I have a 13 year old PT Cruiser Never had any troubles with it, A great car,The body is tight with no rattles. The quality of a new Challenger is absolutely no better.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 05:07 PM

Quote:

How many have you actually owned? If you have personal real world experiences (like the owners above) then your statement would have some value. But your sweeping condemnation is not an actual reflection of the majority of owner's experiences. Including mine.

My experience with the PTs (and we have sold a couple of dozen) is the same as the real owners above have related. Not perfect, but overall a very good buy.
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 05:24 PM

JUNK JUNK JUNK, bought one new in 2001, it really soured me on later model chrysler products unless its a dodge diesel pickup of course, and it might be the only front wheel drive car i will have ever owned, i'm looking to get into a 4 door sedan right now and am considering a 300,200 or a charger but i keep going back in my head to all the problems i had with that pt.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 05:41 PM

"
The muscle cars fine, but a PT? "

I can't comment on the PT but I can tell you the Honda that replaced my wife's Neon (which the PT shares a bunch with I'm sure) aren't as different in reliability as the unbiased magazines and websites would have you believe.

That Neon was a troublefree ride. I can't say that for the Honda.

Sheldon

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 06:23 PM

I'll tell you why.My honda civic was junk. I had to replace the head gasket timing, water pump at 90,0000 miles. I bought the car with72,000 on it. The radio stopped taking a cd. then radio would still play when car was shut down. I would have to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Or radio would just get froze on one channel and volume. To restart the radio. I wasn't thrilled to have to obtain a secret code in order to make it work again. Only to fail 2 days later. Then the a/c compressor worked only when it felt like it. Plenty of freon inside. Just another problem this car had. Replaced a cam sensor at 100,000 miles. Then I replaced a crank sensor which was the most fun for me. The headliner fell down. So i put screws in it to hold it up. Right front caliper froze up. And a month ago The trans blew up. So I have been using My 98 Ram plow truck ever since. I tell you I here so many people say: Buy a honda you will have no problems. Like those chryslers cause. Hondas go forever 200,000 miles easy. I did get 190,000 out of it. But not impresssed enough to buy another one. I'm sure some people have had better luck with them.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/08/15 07:19 PM

My wife's 2003 PT limited has 140,000 miles on it. She bought it new and the only time it's ever been in the shop was for a recommended timing belt replacement at 100.000. It's never failed her and is still tight and quiet. I had a 2005 GT convert and the turbo really woke that car up. It would haul butt. Never went to the shop for any failures because it never failed me. Good everyday dependable drivers.

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/09/15 05:04 AM

Quote:

My wife's 2003 PT limited has 140,000 miles on it. She bought it new and the only time it's ever been in the shop was for a recommended timing belt replacement at 100.000. It's never failed her and is still tight and quiet. I had a 2005 GT convert and the turbo really woke that car up. It would haul butt. Never went to the shop for any failures because it never failed me. Good everyday dependable drivers.

I was thinking if I do get one. To go for the Turbo. I had a daytona Iroc r/t turbo in 1992 and loved it. But I also don't want head gasket failure and turbo going out The turbo has like 240 horse doesn't it?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/09/15 05:55 AM

Our 07 had a burnt valve at 60,000 miles. It was fairly common for a couple years. I think it was like the 06 to 08 model years. Other then that it was a decent car.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/09/15 09:29 AM

i have one, i bought new. look for recall work being done. issues listed above, plus the "haunted headlight switch" issues. for a cruise around town car, it's not bad. mine's a non-turbo, so i can't speak to those. the wife likes hers, so again, as stated above...
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/09/15 11:07 AM

They are pretty high maintenance niche cars IMO. If you like changing timing belts, head gaskets, water pumps, radiators, fan units, engine torque struts, wheel bearings, lower control arms, sway bar links and various electrical parts on a regular basis - you will get along fine with one. Poor mileage for a car with limited power - my full sized 3.5 Intrepid got much better mileage than my 2.4L 5-speed Cruiser did.
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/09/15 08:41 PM

Bought new PT in 06 - It is a good car, but in my opinion the gas mileage sucks! Best on the highway is 24/25 and for a little uncomfortable car I think that this is poor. We always had Omni's or Horizons for our small cars prior, and enjoyed the 34/35 mpg very much! If I had my choice between a new Omni and a PT it would definately be an OMNI. The PT is a heavy little car ! HEMI JOE
Posted By: BDW

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/10/15 01:10 AM

Consumer Reports

For now, the PT Cruiser remains an interesting mile marker in the automaker's product history. New PT Cruisers are still available, and there are ample used examples on the market—many for rather low asking prices. However, used models have very uneven reliability; the latest safety features are still missing (head-protection air bags and ESC have never been offered); and IIHS side-crash test results are poor. Hence, it's critical for used-car shoppers to do their homework. Overall, though, we think there are better choices.
Posted By: MOBodyman

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/10/15 06:27 AM

Quote:

Consumer Reports

For now, the PT Cruiser remains an interesting mile marker in the automaker's product history. New PT Cruisers are still available, and there are ample used examples on the market—many for rather low asking prices. However, used models have very uneven reliability; the latest safety features are still missing (head-protection air bags and ESC have never been offered); and IIHS side-crash test results are poor. Hence, it's critical for used-car shoppers to do their homework. Overall, though, we think there are better choices.

"New PT Cruisers are still available"??? So, this article is 5 years old??

I had an '05 convertible with a 5 speed. I regularly got mileage in the 30's so mine was an exception. It developed an oil leak over time. Finally found it was coming from the back corner of the head. Re-torquing the head slowed it to a seep but I eventually had the gasket replaced since the car was perfect otherwise.

I also had a really nice '07 turbo-automatic car. It didn't get near the mileage the 5 speed did. I had one odd problem with it. The front park lights wouldn't work and the a/c compressor wouldn't turn off. (Bought it wrecked and repaired it.) That required a new BCM which was an expensive repair, about $600.

I still see them around. Most that I'm familiar with are getting around 200k on them now.

Dallas
Posted By: poorboy

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/12/15 04:01 AM

We have an 04 limited turbo auto. Ours is the non-intercooled turbo, rated at 180 HP. Ours is in that 24-25 mpg range. We bought our car as a Chrysler exect car that was 1 year old and had 5,600 miles on it. There are a lot of options on the car.
Our PT has been wrecked 2 times. We got rear ended while stopped in traffic to the tune of around $3,000 (hatch, bumper bracing and cover) when it was 2 years old, then a year later my wife turned in front of a pickup she couldn't see. That hit took out the right front fender, right front suspension, hood & front door, about $4000.
We had an injector replaced under warrentee (they would only replace 1 injector), and a timing belt along with the water pump, and a replacement water pump for that one, and whatever else is up there. These cars are a pita to work on, the motor sits sideways and the inner fenders are close to both ends of the motor, I don't do anything with it.

We have had the rear watts-link bar mount replaced, the rear shocks, the transmission solenoid pack, the motor mounts, the radiator, the power steering hoses, both lower control arms, both outer tie rod ends (in addition to what was replaced when wrecked), the windshield, brakes 2x (they always make grinding noise) and of course, tires, and normal maintenance. We currently have a couple nightly reappearing 2" diameter leaks under the motor.

As the car ages, we are getting some minor wind noise around the doors, and some rust in the lower rear rockers. We didn't use the AC much, but it hasn't functioned for the last couple years (there are pin holes in the AC hoses). Our PT has 115,000 miles. I wouldn't classify it as the best little car we ever had, but it certainly is not the worst car either. My wife likes it, as stated earlier, happy wife, happy life. When she is ready to replace it, it probably won't be with another PT. Gene
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/12/15 04:53 AM

My dad bought the turbo for my mom. The car is excellent. Ride quality is so much better than my daughter's brand new Mazda it's silly. Then engine is peppy. Interior comfortable. Does just fine with 4 adults on board. It's got under 30K miles on it but zero issues. Never been to a mechanic. They're great little cars and chicks love em.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/12/15 04:42 PM

my friend drove one and was only hitting 20 mpg highway and couldnt pass anyone---he upgraded to a magnum wagon---got up to 27 mpg and could pass at will....but they do look cute
Posted By: Moparlar

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/12/15 04:54 PM

My son has an 06 Limitied with 80,000 havent done anything to it except the trans he exploded doing neutral drops Which was replaced under warranty . The wife has an 07 GT Convertible Turbo. No issues and a blast to drive
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: PT cruiser ? are they any good? - 03/12/15 06:39 PM

Keep in mind,,they are basically a Neon wrapped in different sheetmetal.
For the most part anything under hood is a pain to do. Timing belt/water pump jobs suck. Tuneups require the intake plenum removal.

I've driven several over the years and I like them,. Especially the Turbo cars.
But I dont think I would want one for an everyday driver... They sit to low/close to the road for my taste.
If I would, I think I would look for a 2.4 non turbo car. They run pretty good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums