Moparts

Mini Starter Worth It?

Posted By: GTXKARL

Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 04:39 AM

Hello. I have a 1970 Plymouth GTX 440 stickshift and I was wondering if it was worth putting a mini-starter in? What would the modifications be to the engine block or to the starter? I've seen a mini starter on eBay for $60 plus $7.95 shipping. And is it the same starter for automatic and manual? Thanks.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 05:19 AM

I'd say it depends on what your doing with the car. If its a driver or a race car,... YES! Saves weight and more reliable starter. If its a restoration, no. originality counts.

I put one in my Satellite a few years back. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Less weight, more room, more reliability.

No modifications at all. Just unbolt the old 20lb anchor, and bolt in the newer, lighter, more powerful unit.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 05:23 AM

unless you are going for a concours resto I don't see any reason NOT to use one. Same starter fits manual and autos.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 05:46 AM

Totally worth it - unless you like that old gear reduction sound. Turns the engine faster.

Depending on the terminal style of starter you're looking at you may need to shorten the main terminal or just remove the terminal extension - or do nothing at all. On mine, I shortened the main stud for a little more block clearance.

Posted By: D_C

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 05:46 AM

I have one on my '71 Charger and some previous owner mounted one in my '74 Power Wagon W200 truck.

Agree with above. Saves weight up front, IIRC lower current draw, (usually) more clearance for headers, etc. It's a Nippondenso mini starter.

Also, if you don't mind rebuilt, you may get a better price and find one at a local autoparts store and therefore avoid shipping costs. I think you ask for a Starter for a 1988 Dodge Diplomat or Dodge pickup truck at your local parts store.

Here is a link to the Moparts Tech Archive on the subject. Lists the vehicles that came from the factory with them.

I got mine from an Autozone and it was around $30.

Moparts Tech Archive Ministarter page

DC
Posted By: beepilot

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 06:08 AM

Absolutely worth it! Got mine from Autozone for a Dakota , can't remember year etc. Works better, so much lighter and so much smaller for increased clearances for headers, one arm installation a breeze. I think mine came with something on the terminals I had to remove but very minor. It has been on for well over 10 years. 71 Charger Superbee 440
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 06:09 AM

I bought my first mini starter back in the late 80's. It would not bolt to my 11" flywheel stick car. That one used a direct drive starter, not the more common gear reduction setup.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 06:09 AM

I like my mini starter and I did take the terminal extension off. Steel block Hemi, Lakewood scattershield, hooker headers, 12 1/2 compression, works great it has lasted a lot longer than the old gear reduction starter.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 06:15 AM

Actually there are 2 sizes of mini starters. The early versions (88 to early 90s) are bigger than the later versions. Either will work fine. Also don't be afraid of a used salvage unit which can be had for a song at your local salvage yard off of a mag V6 or V8. Install a fresh set of solenoid contacts for a few bucks to freshen it up and you will be good to go for years to come.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 06:40 AM

If you got headers...

And you drive on the street...

(And you got a heat-shield)...

Absolutely...
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 07:40 AM

Quote:

Also don't be afraid of a used salvage unit which can be had for a song at your local salvage yard off of a mag V6 or V8.

FI Mag motors start very quickly, little wear on the mini starters. I'm running a salvage mini on my 360 Barracuda. Took off the short extension at the terminals and it was a bolt on. Higher torque spins the engine faster as soon as you touch the key (big improvement). This comes with a trade off, the mini's won't spin over if the battery voltage is weak (OE gear reduction unit would keep on cranking longer, albeit ever slower).
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 10:29 PM

Yes they are golden.Run one for a 360 as they are a heavy duty type.My 440 I have a reman for a Dodge truck 360.Been in since 2000 and cranks my 12.5 440 like a /6.Had one in the kids 413 from 440 Source and it was 4 years old when he sold the car.Rocky
Posted By: jbeintherockies

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 10:56 PM

If it is a permanent magnet style mini-starter and you plan on using the factory Chrysler starter solenoid, I believe you need to use a relay. The relay would be placed in between the Chrylser starter solenoid and the starter in the starter solenoid wire circuit.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 02/28/15 10:58 PM

Quote:

If it is a permanent magnet style mini-starter and you plan on using the factory Chrysler starter solenoid, I believe you need to use a relay. The relay would be placed in between the Chrylser starter solenoid and the starter in the starter solenoid wire circuit.

Nope.

You only need to hook the fat battery cable to the big stud and the smaller wire to the smaller stud. No electrical mods needed.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/01/15 03:57 AM

What Supercuda said.No mods needed.Rocky
Posted By: plazomat

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/01/15 04:54 AM

Do it....smaller lighter cheaper spins motor faster - no more painfull sounds from relic starter and hoping that this is not the day that the old beast leaves ya stranded...

Love mine - straight from salvage yard into the car 5 years ago - bought a second as a spare but haven't even taken off the parts shelf to look at it ...do it.

Plaz
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/01/15 06:13 AM

If worth it is defined by not needing to take a header off to change a heat damaged original style starter then yes it's worth it...
Posted By: Challengerswede

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/11/15 02:15 PM

Definitely worth it.

I got sick of heat soak issues with the original one, totally untrustable.
Then switched to a mini and had no problems since then!
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/11/15 02:21 PM

100% worth it. As others have said, I would never use a regular stater again (unless of course it is for a full blown restoration). Any car you plan on driving should have one.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/11/15 02:44 PM

Totally worth it. I grabbed one out of the junkyard off a 90's dodge ram van. 20 bucks. Been running it for years. Turns the engine over way quicker, smaller, way lighter and easier to install while laying on my back! I'm also able to weasel mine out with the headers installed.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/11/15 05:14 PM

I use an autozone starter for a 93 Dakota on my Dart, it's been on for ten years without issue.
Posted By: dezduster

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/12/15 03:36 PM

I have let my stereo play until it would power down due to low voltage. Let the truck sit for 5 minutes and turn the key and the mini starter would spin the engine and fire. I don't recommend this but that is my experience.
Oh and my brother has one on his 520 BB.
My other brother has one on his 10:1 SB.
My sister has one on bc each of her two trucks.
I have one on all four of my rigs.
I bought a spare thinking one of the eight we have would fail thinking like the old school starters. That has been two years ago still new in box, lucky no they are that good! At least the eight we have are.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/12/15 03:59 PM

I run a bunch of them. Great up grade. I get them from NAPA for a 95 Dakota V-8. Remove the terminal extension. They also sound so much better than the old whinnyass starters.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/12/15 05:08 PM

One of THE BEST upgrades for a BB!

Kicks my 440 over easier than the old starter and is a lot lighter and smaller.

NO downside that I can see.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/12/15 05:47 PM

Quote:

NO downside that I can see.

I always did like the wail of the old starters. But that wondering, hoping and praying it would start, don't miss that part!
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/12/15 09:16 PM

I just installed mine in my resto. I haven't fired the engine yet, but man, putting that baby in there WITH TTI headers was CAKE! Had to saw the lug down a tad for clearance which folks here helped me with, but beyond that, easy-cheesy. Got mine out of a late 90's Durango for $15 bucks at the you-pull yard.
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/13/15 12:03 AM

For me it wouldn't be the same without the old gear reduction starter.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/13/15 12:22 AM

Mine starts so quick you barely hear the starter...
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/13/15 03:29 AM

Based on moparmarks' recommendation of the 95 Dakota starter, I just picked up and installed an Ultima starter from O'Reilly's and it did fit great once I removed the extension piece.

The cool thing is there is a plastic cover that will snap right over your wires and provide some shielding from the block. On my 440, there is about 1/2"-3/4" between the starter terminals and block so I felt a little better using the plastic/rubber cover.

I hope to get everything wrapped up tomorrow and see how she spins.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/13/15 02:09 PM

My engine builder told for my stroked 400, to use a '99 to 2003 Ram starter. Haven't gotten one yet but supposedly little smaller than the original with the torque to spin it
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/13/15 04:45 PM

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/14/15 04:45 PM

I would get a powermaster mini starter summit or jegs, not a 25.00 ebay starter unless you like taking a chance on it.......

just my
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/14/15 05:14 PM

New Mini-starter works great but I am not 100% sure I like the sound. I think I like that slow deeper not-sure-if-its-gonna-crank sound.

-Steve
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Mini Starter Worth It? - 03/14/15 07:00 PM

Got one years and years ago, for the Duster360, spins it so quick, and starts up like you would think engine has fuel injection. Got it from wrecking yard for peanuts. Same for unit on 70 Sport Satellite !! Go for and don't look back.

Cheers,

Mark
© 2024 Moparts Forums