Moparts

a-body console question

Posted By: copperSwinger

a-body console question - 02/25/15 12:58 AM

besides the trim plate, would an A body automatic console fit a manual car? I am hoping to hear that all the brackets are the in the same spot and that all I need to change is the trim plate on the top and possibly the small carpet flaps on the sides?

Thanks

I am building a 68 cuda thats currently an automatic but down the road I may want to switch it over to Manual so Im thinking I would weld on the tunnel hump on now while the car is all apart. Making the changeover easier down the road. (swapping a pedal set isnt too hard)

just a little Forward thinking
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 04:01 AM

I put a console in my 74 FrankenDuster. The car was originally a slanty with a column 904. I converted it to a 360 833-8.75. The top plate was cut, a shifter boot was fitted and it looked great. I did have to do some clearancing down at the bottom edge to fit around the shifter hump.
I'm not sure what they looked like factory stock, I just did what I needed to make mine fit.

Attached picture 8440071-DSCN0754.JPG
Posted By: mopar346

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 04:15 AM

The base is different and a simple explanation is it is missing a chunk around the hump, as Frankenduster found out you can cut it out of the way but it's not correct although carpet can be fitted to cover it. Originally a 4 speed console had a fiberglass or poly cover/bulge over the cut out for a cleaner look/more structure under the carpet.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 04:34 AM

Here's a photo of the driver side bulge (console upside down) for a 4-speed 69 Barracuda. The front brown part seems to be many layers of paper glued together like paper mache. The rear half is just shaped carpet with glue on the back for stiffening.

Attached picture 8440110-21-17Console.carpet13.Lmiddlefoldededge.jpg

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 04:45 AM

Here's a close view of the paper layers. Maybe a storm trooper's knee cap or some other semi hemispherical section would work for this.

Attached picture 8440120-21-17Console.carpet12.Lmiddlefiberboardfastener.jpg

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 04:58 AM

Driver side view. The reason for the bulge was the dog leg in the shift lever that goes from the side mount of the trans to the center of the console. Also to clear the second boot that's under the console. Yep, two (2) boots.

Attached picture 8440135-21-17Console.carpet1.Lfront.jpg
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 05:18 AM

Not to derail the thread but I remember a thread about a body 4 speed console bodies being used up after 1969 in automatic consoles? I have an auto console that has the cut out like the 4 speed console body. What was used to cover the hole in that application?
Thanks Matt
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 05:56 AM

ALL A-body consoles have a small cutout on the driver side. Only four speed consoles had the larger cutout and cardboard thing. It is NOT necessary. My old 66 did not have the larger cutout and it cleared the Inland. Lee (lilcuda) put a Hurst A-body shifter in it and it cleared. It was likely more cosmetic to cover more of the flat part of the hump.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: a-body console question - 02/25/15 04:13 PM

Quote:

Not to derail the thread but I remember a thread about a body 4 speed console bodies being used up after 1969 in automatic consoles? I have an auto console that has the cut out like the 4 speed console body. What was used to cover the hole in that application?
Thanks Matt

Just another console note. There was no 4-speed console after 1969 and the 69 console top plate was unique as well as the console door. In 69 it had a woodgrain top, and from 66-69 it sprung down instead of having a button and springing-up from 70-76.

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 12:12 AM

Quote:

from 66-69 it sprung down

Exactly, and a big PITA. Besides that, NO CUP HOLDERS! What were they thinking?

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 01:46 AM

More than a pain in the ass, have you ever had your hand in there while driving and hit a bump!

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:02 AM

Here is a picture of the console I have. Not saying that it came that way , but I had a friend had it in a 70 duster 20-25 years ago and it was this way until he changed over to a 4 speed and took it out.
You can also see the end was cut I believe for an A/C car. I think factory did that as well.
Matt

Attached picture 8441152-IMG_6766.JPG

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:03 AM

another of the console you can see where something was screwed on to cover the hole up.
Matt

Attached picture 8441153-IMG_6767.JPG

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:04 AM

3. the front

Attached picture 8441154-IMG_6768.JPG

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:05 AM

another shot.
Matt

Attached picture 8441157-IMG_6769.JPG

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:07 AM

Quote:

Here is a picture of the console I have. Not saying that it came that way , but I had a friend had it in a 70 duster 20-25 years ago and it was this way until he changed over to a 4 speed and took it out.
You can also see the end was cut I believe for an A/C car. I think factory did that as well.
Matt

Judging from the welds on the shifter bracket that doesn't appear to be a factory floor shift car so there was some donors involved at one point.

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Judging from the welds on the shifter bracket that doesn't appear to be a factory floor shift car so there was some donors involved at one point.

The car is an original console auto 72 340 duster. However the console and brackets were removed when it went racing for a while prior to me purchasing the car. I only have the brackets tacked in the car to get an idea of where it goes. You are correct in saying the brackets were removed from another car. The console also came from another car and if you would have read my post you would have saw that I said I got it I.E. the console from a friend whom had it in his 70 duster for 20-25 years before he changed everything out to a 4 speed.
Matt

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:21 AM

Interesting console, I have seen quite a few with the cut front from the factory, usually on 73-76 A-Body's. It looks as if it was a factory 4-speed console at one time though.

Attached picture 8441186-101_1717.JPG

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:29 AM

[quoteif you would have read my post you would have saw that I said I got it I.E. the console from a friend whom had it in his 70 duster for 20-25 years before he changed everything out to a 4 speed.
Matt

I got that part, my error was that I thought that was a picture of it in HIS car before it was removeed, not yours.

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:29 AM

Quote:

Interesting console, I have seen quite a few with the cut front from the factory, usually on 73-76 A-Body's. It looks as if it was a factory 4-speed console at one time though.

That may very well be the case. I really have no idea as a lot of stuff happens over 40+ years of time. I was just thinking there was an old thread that talked about Chrysler using up the old stock of 4 speed console bodies in automatic applications after 69 when there no longer 4 speed console cars. That my just be my weak mind though.
If I had any faith in someone seeing one it would be you Rhino.
Matt

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:30 AM

Quote:

[quoteif you would have read my post you would have saw that I said I got it I.E. the console from a friend whom had it in his 70 duster for 20-25 years before he changed everything out to a 4 speed.
Matt

I got that part, my error was that I thought that was a picture of it in HIS car before it was removed, not yours.

No harm no foul!
Matt
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: a-body console question - 02/26/15 05:34 AM

Consoles were cut (front) like that for dealer/add-on air. Factory air cleared just fine. With the evidence of the cardboard it is clear to me that the base was originally from a four speed car.

Re: a-body console question - 02/27/15 04:54 AM

This is just a point of reference for anybody interested, not a criticism. The black console above looks too shiny in the flash photo - maybe it looks less glossy in natural light.

The FSMs all say low gloss paint for the consoles. Compare the black one to my green console above which is showing the factory original low gloss paint in natural light.

Low gloss is not to be confused with the suede finish on the dash and steering column.

Re: a-body console question - 02/27/15 05:26 AM

I am sure that it is the camera flash from being taken inside the car and not out in the light. I see no signs of it being re sprayed. Also no sign of paint on what is left of the cardboard under the screw from the side cover.
Matt
© 2024 Moparts Forums