Moparts

89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls

Posted By: Instigate

89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 02/19/15 10:37 PM

89 D150 318 TBI auto

Symptoms:
When I start it up it idles normal. If I give it a little gas it wants to stall and then the idle raises and lowers over and over then will even out or stall. Before I had the engine rebuilt I checked the cam lift and it was way under spec. And being that the engine had 300k miles on it I had it rebuilt. But to my surprise I guess it wasn't the camshaft after all and it's having the same symptoms. I haven't been able to go seat the rings because of the symptoms.

Before the rebuild I was able to move the truck to my new place(thankfully with a 2car garage) by just flooring it all the way and putting it in neutral and reving at stoplights. But I still stalled a couple times. Was sketchy.

I checked the flash codes and I get a 3-5-5. I know 5-5 is to signal the end of the codes but 3 is not listed.

I wanted to check the vacuum because it was weak before the rebuild. The vacuum is vibrating rapidly between 15 and 18 in. hg.

Fuel pressure is at 15 with the fpr vacuum hose connected but the fuel pressure doesn't go up when I disconnect the vacuum hose. So I check for vacuum going to the fpr and there is none. But when I pinched the return line I saw the fuel pressure go up.

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful. Very discouraging not being able to figure this problem out. Here is a link to the other thread I had going for further info but I think I covered it here.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...c=1#Post8431444

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/20/15 06:02 AM

So I was reading about the TBI system in my book and I found this.

Now, mine is an 89 model but I could see them using the throttle body on more than one year. But it says just rough idle, not fluctuating idle. But it does have trouble starting once it's hot and stalls out. Have to give it a min before it will start again. So it does seem somewhat right. Has anyone had one of these 2409 or earlier throttle bodies? Mine is stamped with 0069. So it is 2409 or earlier as long as that is the right stamp I'm looking at.

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/21/15 06:16 AM

So I tore the throttle body apart today. That's a hole in the screen.

And both are dirty as hell.

Attached picture 8436174-IMG_20150220_175517.jpg

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/21/15 06:17 AM

Other one.

Attached picture 8436175-IMG_20150220_175425.jpg
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/22/15 01:17 AM

since you have them out, run the fuel pump (ignition on) and catch some fuel in a bucket, to clean the lines. run it into a coffee filter, and you can see if there's any sediment. get your new injectors, and run seafoam through the fuel system, by adding it to the tank. looks like alcohol contamination, due to blended fuel.

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/24/15 12:48 AM

So the new injectors fixed my driveability problem. But the freeze plugs and the rear of the engine are leaking so the machine shop is going to tow it to a shop in my area to pull the tranny and swap out the plug.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/24/15 03:33 AM

Glad to hear you got the idle issue resolved.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/24/15 03:44 AM

Way to stay on top of it.

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/24/15 10:52 PM

Quote:

Way to stay on top of it.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I feel a little bit stupid for having not checked the injectors before but the spray pattern looked fine.

Hopefully they can tell me where the transmission leak is coming from when they pull it to replace the leaky freeze plug on the back of the engine. Then all I would have to worry about it a new paint job, new carpet in the cab, and reupholster the bench seat and I'll really be styling.

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/27/15 04:11 AM

I guess I spoke too soon...

The new injectors helped a great deal but I'm still having hesitation and lack of power. When I come to a stop I see the dummy lights flicker like it's going to stall but it doesn't.

The truck got towed to a shop where they replaced freeze plugs and now it's not leaking anymore. But on the drive home I noticed it was not right. Tomorrow I'm going to recheck the timing and test the TPS sensor again to be damn sure it's good. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. So sick of this.

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 02/28/15 12:48 AM

I checked the timing again and it was off so I corrected that and gave it a quick test drive and I think I've fixed it. I wont know for sure till I go take it to get smoged and take it on the freeway. I would have gone for a longer test drive but the tags are no good and I was super low on gas so I just came back home. I'm going to get some more gas and go get her smoged tomorrow probably.

Re: Flash Code Question and FPR Vacuum Question - 03/03/15 10:30 PM

So I put more gas in and paid my DMV fees but when I went to go to my buddy's SMOG shop the truck actually stalled on me and was having bad hesitation on light acceleration.

My only guess now could maybe be a bad electrical connection at the computer or the plugs someone told me to clean behind passenger side valve cover. I'll take that stuff apart and clean it up. If anyone has any suggestions I would be thrilled.

/and also re test that TPS.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/03/15 11:01 PM

How are you setting ignition timing.?

I dont remember the applicable years but some of them require a DRB to set it and NOT a timing light

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/03/15 11:12 PM

Quote:

I dont remember the applicable years but some of them require a DRB to set it and NOT a timing light

I'm setting it with a timing light. Let it get up to temp then unplug the CTS on the intake manifold and set it by adjusting the dist and using the timing light.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/03/15 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm setting it with a timing light. Let it get up to temp then unplug the CTS on the intake manifold and set it by adjusting the dist and using the timing light.

that's correct.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/04/15 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

that's correct.

Though so.

TPS is good. It gradually reads from 1.5v-4v. Book says anything from .5v-1.5v up to 3.5v-4v. I also cleaned all the terminals and reapplied new dielectric grease. I suppose next I will hook up my fuel pressure gauge in a way that I can see it while I'm driving. The fuel pump was replaced right before my grandfather left the truck to me and only had about a year or so of driving on it. One thing I noticed was that when I tested the TPS while I was moving the throttle plates to WOT a mist of fuel vapor came rising up out of the intake. What's with that? Is that normal?

I took it for a test drive and it was still having the hesitation and felt like it was going to stall but it didn't. Seemed like the cleaning of the connectors might have made some small difference but maybe it has nothing to do with the cleaning. Was a very slight improvement.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/04/15 03:19 AM

Run the codes and see what the computer thinks is wrong.

That'll at least point in a direction.

Not sure about the mist, I assume the test was done with key on, engine off? Only thing I can think of is that when you first switch the engine on, I believe the TBI pumps a shot of gas to prime the system for starting. But it has been a long time and I might be mistaken. Odds are that you turned the key on and by the time you got to the throttle for testing the shot was over and just the fumes remained.

Might pay to have someone turn the key on while you watch to verify.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/04/15 05:09 AM

Quote:

Not sure about the mist, I assume the test was done with key on, engine off? Only thing I can think of is that when you first switch the engine on, I believe the TBI pumps a shot of gas to prime the system for starting. But it has been a long time and I might be mistaken. Odds are that you turned the key on and by the time you got to the throttle for testing the shot was over and just the fumes remained.

Yeah that's what I was thinking happened but not sure. I turned the key already having the DMM tapped in and did the test.

Last time I checked the codes it was 12-55 no problems. I'll check it again tho would be nice if something tripped a code.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/04/15 10:11 PM

Quote:

I got a code!

It's giving me 24 TPS v out of range. But it's getting good readings at the sensor. I'm going to check the pin at the computer and see what it's getting at the computer.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 12:37 AM

So I've got zero resistance on the signal wire all the way to the computer and I'm getting good reading right at the SMEC(PCM) plug(1.34v-4.04v). So the TPS looks like it's good and the wiring is legit. Am I looking at a bad computer possibly? I guess I'll take the SMEC out and apart. Maybe there will be something obviously wrong in there, blown capacitor or what not.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 12:37 AM

10-4, I seem to recall something about possible wire corrosion by the battery, as that's where the computer is. Though it might be FWD vehicles of that era I am thinking of. Not trying to steer you wrong, but it's been a while.

Try wiggling the wiring around and see if the signal changes, that would indicate an intermittent issue.

I browsed Rockauto to see if they had a computer for you, no California emissions with an auto listed. They have Cal with a stick and Federal for both.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 02:58 AM

that TBI setup is the WORST fuel induction Mopar ever used, except maybe the late 80s jeep RENIX (and only because I have zero experience with the Renix, just "heard about" them)
I can even deal with Lean burn easier.
About to do a motor swap into my son's 89 Ramcharger, just trying to decide WHICH 4 barrel to blow the dust off of among a few choices of on hand carbs...

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:14 AM

Quote:

10-4, I seem to recall something about possible wire corrosion by the battery, as that's where the computer is. Though it might be FWD vehicles of that era I am thinking of. Not trying to steer you wrong, but it's been a while.

Try wiggling the wiring around and see if the signal changes, that would indicate an intermittent issue.

I browsed Rockauto to see if they had a computer for you, no California emissions with an auto listed. They have Cal with a stick and Federal for both.

For sure. I was looking at NAPA and they've got one for me for 214 after the core. I was so hoping it was some short I missed when I went through the whole harness while the engine was out. But it's looking like it might be the computer I think. I don't see why it would throw that code when I'm getting good readings from the sensor all the way to the computer. Unless it's an intermittent thing like you said. But I don't think it is because it seems to be constant. Never runs perfect.
Posted By: d100dragracer

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:20 AM

I agree totally. Im much much happier with a carb and Performer intake now than the TBI a lot more power and the fuel mileage is why better so much more reliable than before all wins switching to a carb. There is no way to make the power you can get from a carb using a TBI and the stock TBI intake they were junk. Mainly because of the junk wiring harness but it was never going to make any power no matter what.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:22 AM

Not sure what your options are, I hesitate to suggest running a federal spec computer as I do not know what, if any, difference it'll be. I guess all you can do right now is open it up and look closely at it. I have seen circuit boards crack across foil runs printed on them, I just solder a jumper across the crack.

as for you guys suggesting a carb, he's in California, that will not fly.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:33 AM

Quote:

Not sure what your options are, I hesitate to suggest running a federal spec computer as I do not know what, if any, difference it'll be. I guess all you can do right now is open it up and look closely at it. I have seen circuit boards crack across foil runs printed on them, I just solder a jumper across the crack.

as for you guys suggesting a carb, he's in California, that will not fly.

For sure, that's my next step. Would be nice if it was just a blown capacitor or something I can fix on the circuit board. I fixed my video card on my computer by replacing the capacitor that was blown.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:33 AM

Quote:

I agree totally. Im much much happier with a carb and Performer intake now than the TBI a lot more power and the fuel mileage is why better so much more reliable than before all wins switching to a carb. There is no way to make the power you can get from a carb using a TBI and the stock TBI intake they were junk. Mainly because of the junk wiring harness but it was never going to make any power no matter what.

Quote:

that TBI setup is the WORST fuel induction Mopar ever used, except maybe the late 80s jeep RENIX (and only because I have zero experience with the Renix, just "heard about" them)
I can even deal with Lean burn easier.
About to do a motor swap into my son's 89 Ramcharger, just trying to decide WHICH 4 barrel to blow the dust off of among a few choices of on hand carbs...

I don't need to hear every guy that has given up on fixing their TBI the right way. I need helpful input on how to diagnose this, not just give up and throw a carb on it.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:36 AM

I could put 360 heads, intake, throttle body and computer on tho, ya?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 03:37 AM

One other thing, i forget if I mentioned this, but, my bud's 89 Ram had driveability issues, I forget what they were exactly, but it turned out to be a crack between the exhaust crossover and the plenum of the intake. But I am pretty sure a TPS code was not one of the symptoms.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/05/15 05:38 AM

I pulled the computer and took it apart. Nothing visually wrong. I knew it was a slim chance I would be able to see anything. Not sure where to go from here. I guess I'll put it back together and do that test drive I was going to do with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up and make sure my pump is giving good pressure all the time.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 12:07 AM

So I drove it with the fuel gauge hooked up and it's got good pressure at all times never drops. Is there anything I can do to be sure it's the computer? The TPS code didn't come back yet but I think I just didn't drive it enough for the code to trip yet.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 12:11 AM

Codes that set do not instantly clear even if the cause goes away, so it's possible you had an issue testing the TPS that set the code and when you pulled the computer is did a reset. I assume driveability is still the same?

I almost wonder if your EGR isn't leaking by causing this, similar symptoms. Can you block it off for testing purposes?

Did your vacuum readings ever stabilize?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 01:04 AM

Quote:

Codes that set do not instantly clear even if the cause goes away, so it's possible you had an issue testing the TPS that set the code and when you pulled the computer is did a reset. I assume driveability is still the same?

I almost wonder if your EGR isn't leaking by causing this, similar symptoms. Can you block it off for testing purposes?

Did your vacuum readings ever stabilize?

The code reset because I removed the computer and battery. and I didn't test the TPS again after the rebuild until after I saw the code. The driveability is the same, hesitation, stalling when I come to a stop. I tried blocking off the EGR before I did the rebuild but I'll try it again. I'll check the vacuum again. I assumed it was doing that because the timing was off but I shouldn't assume. I'll check it again right now.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 01:35 AM

Vacuum at idle is vibrating between 17-18hg. I know they reused the valves. Somewhere I read it could be caused by sloppy valve guides.
Posted By: feets

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 01:44 AM

How much does the vacuum fluctuate when it stumbles?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 01:47 AM

I can't get it to stumble while idleing anymore, it only stalls when I'm coming to a stop while driving. I'll take it for a drive with the vac gauge hooked up.

In park it will rev fine. But when I drive it, it has bad hesitation with some idle fluctuation and will stall when I come to a stop.
Posted By: feets

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 01:48 AM

If it only happens every time the vacuum is at a certain point you may be able to chase it down.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/06/15 02:14 AM

Quote:

If it only happens every time the vacuum is at a certain point you may be able to chase it down.

I've never had to check vacuum while driving a vehicle so I'm not sure what is normal. I know it's normal for vacuum to drop when you accelerate but idk how much, anyways. While coasting I get around 19hg with a steady needle. When I stab the gas it drops to 5 or 6 and when it stutters and stalls it drops to nothing.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 12:05 AM

A guy on ramchargercentral suggested I should do a compression check. Results are good.

1-130
3-130
5-135
7-135

2-130
4-130
6-135
8-135

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 12:20 AM

Yep, think you can probably rule out a mechanical issue at this point, at least with the longblock.

Fuel pressure looks good.

How about the ignition system? New, used? wires, plugs, cap, rotor, distributor?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 12:25 AM

Quote:

Yep, think you can probably rule out a mechanical issue at this point, at least with the longblock.

Fuel pressure looks good.

How about the ignition system? New, used? wires, plugs, cap, rotor, distributor?

All new except for the hall effect and the dist itself.
/I read somewhere that if you unplug the CTS and the symptoms are gone it's the hall effect? I don't understand how that would be but that's something someone posted on someone elses thread with the same issue.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 12:49 AM

Not sure which pickup you have, I was thinking the newer one, but rockauto shows that and the older one as well. Does the pick up have a round connector or a flat one with two prongs?

As for unplugging the CTS theory, I dunno. It locks out the advance so you can set the timing but other than that I have no idea what it would do. Have you tried it?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 01:26 AM

Quote:

Not sure which pickup you have, I was thinking the newer one, but rockauto shows that and the older one as well. Does the pick up have a round connector or a flat one with two prongs?

As for unplugging the CTS theory, I dunno. It locks out the advance so you can set the timing but other than that I have no idea what it would do. Have you tried it?

I have the round 3 prong. I'm going to try the cts thing right now. Out of ideas.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 01:42 AM

Quote:

I just ordered one from the parts store. Will be there in a few hours I guess. I'll try it and if it's still no good idk what else to do but buy a new computer.

I tried the CTS thing. Didn't help.

I ordered a new TPS too. Just to be sure.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 02:32 AM

Yeah, we're getting into what we call shotgunning now, throwing parts at it till something fixes it. I hate doing that but we're pretty much SOL unless someone else who knows more steps up. What sensors have you replaces, if any?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 03:16 AM

Quote:

Yeah, we're getting into what we call shotgunning now, throwing parts at it till something fixes it. I hate doing that but we're pretty much SOL unless someone else who knows more steps up. What sensors have you replaces, if any?

I know right? I hate to just throw parts at it but idk what else to try. I followed the steps in the TPS code tests and it says if it tests good the SEMC is prolly bad. But I hate to buy a new computer without being 100%.

o2
CTS

Not a sensor, but I replaced the EGR too.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 04:28 AM

Well, who knows now. I hate to say it but maybe a new comp is the fix, but I hate spending money on something I am not sure will fix it either.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 04:33 AM

Quote:

Well, who knows now. I hate to say it but maybe a new comp is the fix, but I hate spending money on something I am not sure will fix it either.

For sure. For now I guess the plan is to throw the new TPS and pickup coil on it and if neither of those help I will have to throw a computer at it. lol
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 05:32 AM

I had a customer come in with a reman long block with odd driveability issues. The builder left out the distributor oil pump drive bushing. Took a lot off screwing around before we figured out that issue. Does the timing hold steady or jump a lot? Just an item to be sure of.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 06:54 AM

Quote:

I had a customer come in with a reman long block with odd driveability issues. The builder left out the distributor oil pump drive bushing. Took a lot off screwing around before we figured out that issue. Does the timing hold steady or jump a lot? Just an item to be sure of.

Timing is pretty solid. I could tell they put a new bushing in, here is a picture. The shaft in the picture is the priming rod, that's why it looks so small.

Attached picture 8452129-IMG_20150112_175850.jpg

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/07/15 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Timing is pretty solid. I could tell they put a new bushing in, here is a picture. The shaft in the picture is the priming rod, that's why it looks so small.

Good that eliminates that possibility.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/08/15 02:59 AM

So I pulled the pickup coil and the teeth that pass through the pick were covered in corrosion. I cleaned up the teeth and put a new pick up coil in and it seemed to make a difference. The vacuum is still vibrating between 1hg but the truck isn't stalling when I come to a stop anymore. Going to smog it on Monday and see how she does. I cleaned the teeth with a very small wire brush on a drill and still couldn't get it perfect. Is that part replaceable? Does it even mater if its cover in corrosion? My dad is no mechanic but he suggested that maybe it doesn't mater because it doesn't look like a replaceable part. Here is a picture of the teeth in the dist I'm talking about.

Attached picture 8452843-22.jpg

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/08/15 05:30 AM

Looks like the FWD distributors of the same era. That shutter wheel is attached to the plastic holder and those are notorious for loosening up int he FWD distributors. Is there any play or wiggle between the metal shutter wheel and the plastic?

I know the fix for the FWD ones was to either buy a reman or take apart the distributor and reattach the pieces more securely. In your picture there is a roll pin in the plastic collar you'd need to drive out to separate it from the shaft. To do that you'd need to pull the shaft out of the housing. There is a collar on the bottom of the shaft with another roll pin you have to remove to get it apart.

As far as I know you cannot get that wheel separately, just the pickup or the whole distributor is it for parts.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/08/15 05:44 AM

Quote:

So I pulled the pickup coil and the teeth that pass through the pick were covered in corrosion. I cleaned up the teeth and put a new pick up coil in and it seemed to make a difference. The vacuum is still vibrating between 1hg but the truck isn't stalling when I come to a stop anymore. Going to smog it on Monday and see how she does. I cleaned the teeth with a very small wire brush on a drill and still couldn't get it perfect. Is that part replaceable? Does it even mater if its cover in corrosion? My dad is no mechanic but he suggested that maybe it doesn't mater because it doesn't look like a replaceable part. Here is a picture of the teeth in the dist I'm talking about.

Spray a little wd40 on it. If the plastic rivets are not loose the reluctor is fine. If you don't have a vented cap that is what trapped moisture does to the reluctor.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/08/15 05:47 AM

Na, there is no play everything is solid.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/08/15 03:22 PM

good, at least something is ok for once.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/09/15 10:07 PM

So I took the truck to my buddy's shop to see if we can pass smog. On the way I noticed that the truck is still having some hesitation and a slight shake. The idle will fluctuate slightly at times. So there is still something going on. Only part of the ignition system I haven't replaced is the dizzy and the coil. Coil checks good and I replaced the pickup in the dizzy. I failed the evap test so I brought it home to find that leak and fix it up. The truck is running ok and I think it will pass smog but there is still something not quite right.
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/10/15 05:24 AM

Ok so I will take a shot at this only because I have been fighting issues on my 92. Not the exact same thing but maybe something you will find beneficial.here are my thoughts.
You may have a sticky iac motor. They get carboned up and the plunger doesn't react quick enough thus causing Boggs and sometimes stumbles especially coming to a stop. I recently changed mine and was happy with the drivability improvement.
Several years ago I also experienced severe issues with the truck dying. Turned out to be a plenum gasket causing a vacumm leak. This made the computer richen the fuel up so much it would die.
There is a video on YouTube on how to test the plenum gasket using a vacumm gauge. When I found that test was negative, it lead my to changing the ďac on the throttle body.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/10/15 05:37 AM

Yes but this one should just have the idle speed motor. It mounts to throttle body and actually controls the throttle lever. It can be ruled out by disconnecting the wire harness, then adjusting the idle speed up to where you could drive it around and see if it still surges etc.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/10/15 07:04 AM

Quote:

Yes but this one should just have the idle speed motor. It mounts to throttle body and actually controls the throttle lever. It can be ruled out by disconnecting the wire harness, then adjusting the idle speed up to where you could drive it around and see if it still surges etc.

I did that today before I went to my friend's shop. Didn't help.

Quote:

Ok so I will take a shot at this only because I have been fighting issues on my 92. Not the exact same thing but maybe something you will find beneficial.here are my thoughts.
You may have a sticky iac motor. They get carboned up and the plunger doesn't react quick enough thus causing Boggs and sometimes stumbles especially coming to a stop. I recently changed mine and was happy with the drivability improvement.
Several years ago I also experienced severe issues with the truck dying. Turned out to be a plenum gasket causing a vacumm leak. This made the computer richen the fuel up so much it would die.
There is a video on YouTube on how to test the plenum gasket using a vacumm gauge. When I found that test was negative, it lead my to changing the ďac on the throttle body.

It's a freshly rebuilt engine. The gasket isn't leaking.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/10/15 06:53 PM

I do not believe there is a plenum gasket on the TBI motors, a splash shield yes, but it's not connected to the plenum.

Kinda fighting the same issue on my daughter's 97 Exploder myself, and no it is not the intake gaskets. I am looking for vacuum leaks now. Based on your comment about failing the evap test I wonder if you have one too?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/10/15 09:38 PM

I assumed he was calling the intake a plenum. I found the EVAP leak. It's at the tank. The little plastic nipple that the EVAP line plugs into at the tank broke off. I tried to JB Weld it without dropping the tank but it didn't work. I'm going to drop the tank and fix it. And I replaced all vacuum hose. This truck is from Arizona so all the plastic is very brittle. But at least the rust is almost non existent.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/10/15 11:32 PM

The Magnum engines have a plate bolted to the bottom of the intake plenum that can leak oil into the intake tract. The TBI intake does not, pointing it out for anyone trying to follow along at home.

I was thinking more on your problem at lunch today. The TBI system is fairly stupid, in the sense that it cannot sense or pop a fault code for a lot of stuff that today's smarter systems can and will.

I wonder if capping off that leaky EVAP line for testing purposes will affect your symptoms. I do not know how and when that line purges. But it almost sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere the system cannot compensate for adequately.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 12:02 AM

Quote:

The Magnum engines have a plate bolted to the bottom of the intake plenum that can leak oil into the intake tract. The TBI intake does not, pointing it out for anyone trying to follow along at home.

I was thinking more on your problem at lunch today. The TBI system is fairly stupid, in the sense that it cannot sense or pop a fault code for a lot of stuff that today's smarter systems can and will.

I wonder if capping off that leaky EVAP line for testing purposes will affect your symptoms. I do not know how and when that line purges. But it almost sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere the system cannot compensate for adequately.

Interesting. Could give it a shot. Also. I've been driving the truck around and when I got under to check out the EVAP situation I saw that I've got oil leaking from the rear of the engine.

Attached picture 8455840-IMG_20150310_134153.jpg

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 12:28 AM

At idle, in park, if I hold the throttle just barely open the engine stumbles and sounds like its going to die.

/Capped off EGR and driveability is fixed with it capped. No vacuum going to the EGR. I assume the solenoid is bad. I'll have to take it off and test it. Problem now is, I guess I over torqued a bolt that holds the water pump on and now i've got a coolant leak up front I've got to deal with.

Attached picture 8455867-IMG_20150310_172534.jpg

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 03:26 AM

Replace the valve with the transducer. I could of told you that was the problem but as I recall you stated somewhere that unhooking the EGR did not help.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 04:00 AM

Quote:

Replace the valve with the transducer. I could of told you that was the problem but as I recall you stated somewhere that unhooking the EGR did not help.

Why would I replace the EGR when it does work. When I apply vacuum to the EGR the engine stumbles, showing that the EGR WILL function if it was being given vacuum. And idk what component you're trying to describe by saying transducer. Do you mean the solenoid? The EGR is not getting vacuum. I'm going to test the solenoid. I suggest you re-read the thread because what I said is that I had tested it before the rebuild and that I should test it again. But I got distracted with that TPS code and never tried it again till I remembered today that I had not tried that again.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 04:07 AM

Does your EGR assembly not look like this pic. If so where is the solenoid you talk about?

Attached picture 8456088-4F1234__ra_t.jpg

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 04:28 AM

Quote:

I suggest you re-read the thread because what I said is that
Quote:

I did and this is what you said. So by your own words you said I will check it right now. So dont be to quick to tell me to re-read as I am only trying to help. I wont complain because the pay is so good.

Quote:

I tried blocking off the EGR before I did the rebuild but I'll try it again. I'll check the vacuum again. I assumed it was doing that because the timing was off but I shouldn't assume. I'll check it again right now.

I did and this is what you said. So by your own words you said I will check it right now. So dont be to quick to tell me to re-read as I am only trying to help. I wont complain because the pay is so good

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 04:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I suggest you re-read the thread because what I said is that
Quote:

I did and this is what you said. So by your own words you said I will check it right now. So dont be to quick to tell me to re-read as I am only trying to help. I wont complain because the pay is so good.

Quote:

I tried blocking off the EGR before I did the rebuild but I'll try it again. I'll check the vacuum again. I assumed it was doing that because the timing was off but I shouldn't assume. I'll check it again right now.

I did and this is what you said. So by your own words you said I will check it right now. So dont be to quick to tell me to re-read as I am only trying to help. I wont complain because the pay is so good

I did say I would check it but I never posted back saying I did and mention the results. Anyways, "I could have told you so" doesn't really help. And I'm not convinced the EGR needs to be replaced. It works when vacuum is applied.

Quote:

Does your EGR assembly not look like this pic. If so where is the solenoid you talk about?

Yes, it does look like that. The solenoid is on the passenger side valve cover, with the other two solenoids(EGR,EVAP,and I forget the other one, Air Inj?). It's what controls the vacuum going to the EGR transducer and the transducer controls it also. There is no vacuum going the the transducer so that tells me there is something wrong with the solenoid. But There is no reason to replace a part that has not been deemed bad. That's the main problem I have with your suggestion. I don't mean to sound rude or unappreciative but I need help that is based in logic. Not just swapping a part because that's your guess.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 01:20 PM

So it's a vacuum leak to atmosphere at the solenoid and not a vacuum leak past the solenoid opening the EGR?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/11/15 01:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, it does look like that. The solenoid is on the passenger side valve cover, with the other two solenoids(EGR,EVAP,and I forget the other one, Air Inj?). It's what controls the vacuum going to the EGR transducer and the transducer controls it also. There is no vacuum going the the transducer so that tells me there is something wrong with the solenoid. But There is no reason to replace a part that has not been deemed bad. That's the main problem I have with your suggestion. I don't mean to sound rude or unappreciative but I need help that is based in logic. Not just swapping a part because that's your guess.

OK, Then you now need to get out the FSM and diagnose the EGR system's operation.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/12/15 07:08 AM

Quote:

So it's a vacuum leak to atmosphere at the solenoid and not a vacuum leak past the solenoid opening the EGR?

Was thinking that But the solenoid tests good. I don't think there is a leak.I don't know why I wasn't getting a vacuum reading the first time but there is vacuum, a very steady 18hg before the transducer and vibrating between 20-15 after. EGR valve itself is functional and the valve and transducer was replaced before the rebuild. But what changed now is the truck wont even idle smooth anymore without the EGR blocked off. It was driving somewhat ok before and was just stumbling and very low acceleration but now it's garbage unless I cap off the EGR. I didn't change anything. I removed the solenoid and tested it, put it back. Tested the EGR for functionality, removed it and visually looked for functionality, put it back. Removed the all the solenoids and tested them and looked them over, put them back. No vacuum leaks anywhere. Checked for battery voltage at the solenoid and it is present. I don't see what changed. Why it wont idle smooth unless EGR is blocked off.

/It's been a while since I've had to test an EGR and I'm remembering that it's not suppose to have vacuum at idle right? Going to the EGR. Only when I pull the throttle cable right? So what's happening is the computer is giving EGR at idle for some reason. Or a wiring fault causing constant signal to the EGR solenoid.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/12/15 06:04 PM

So, if you unplug the wires to the solenoid it smooths out?

If so that's eliminate the mechanics of the system and point to the control circuit.

Not sure if the EGR system is pulse width modulated or not, but that could account for the choppy vacuum reading you saw.

I don't believe there should be EGR at idle, I know on the older mechanical only systems there isn't. Might be time to crack open the FSM and read up on EGR operation.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/12/15 06:27 PM

Quote:

So, if you unplug the wires to the solenoid it smooths out?

If so that's eliminate the mechanics of the system and point to the control circuit.

Not sure if the EGR system is pulse width modulated or not, but that could account for the choppy vacuum reading you saw.

I don't believe there should be EGR at idle, I know on the older mechanical only systems there isn't. Might be time to crack open the FSM and read up on EGR operation.

I don't have a legit FSM. All I have is a chiltons and you can imagine how helpful the section about EGR was. Where can I get a FSM? Amazon only has a diesel one of the right vintage. I found it on another site but was listed for over $100. Screw that. And now my password for Mitchel on Demand, from the last shop I worked for, stopped working.

/Only thing that makes sense is a wire fault leading to a constant signal on to the EGR solenoid.
/I think the choppy vac signal is what the transducer does. IDk why. I though maybe someone would know.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/12/15 06:47 PM

http://www.allpar.com/i/manuals.html For manuals.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with the later EGR setups.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/12/15 06:57 PM

Quote:

http://www.allpar.com/i/manuals.html For manuals.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with the later EGR setups.

$72.50 for it.

Website say's on CD. So you have to wait for a CD to come in the mail? They should have it setup so you just pay and download. I might grab it but since I would have to wait for it to come I feel like I would be better off asking the board to post a picture of just the section I need. For free.

/I just talked to a friend that I used to work with, he's a SMOG tech, and he said that a wire fault is the only thing he can think of that would cause that.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/12/15 11:05 PM

http://www.genosgarage.com/1989-DODGE-RAM-FACTORY-SERVICE-CD/productinfo/DFSM89_CD/

$35.00 for the CD, best I can find. Can't find anything that allows instant download though.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/13/15 12:01 AM

Quote:

http://www.genosgarage.com/1989-DODGE-RAM-FACTORY-SERVICE-CD/productinfo/DFSM89_CD/

$35.00 for the CD, best I can find. Can't find anything that allows instant download though.

Nice! Thanks for taking a look. I Searched for it and did not find that website. I might grab that one if I can't find a physical book that's not on ebay and a reasonable price.

Also, I don't know how I messed this up but the solenoid is bad. I swear the first time I tested it, it was working. Although it seems more likely that I messed up somehow but idk. I used to work as a SMOG tech. If there's one thing I know it's emissions equipment. So I'm kind of confused what I did wrong. But anyways, solenoid is bad. Discontinued part, none of the parts stores even know what I'm talking about... They just want to sell me an EGR valve. I did find the EVAP solenoid. Is there a difference between them?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/13/15 12:10 AM

I think this is what they are calling an evap solenoid Here.

If you can read the OEM part number off the solenoid you have Rockauto has a crossreference search function.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/13/15 12:17 AM

Quote:

I think this is what they are calling an evap solenoid Here.

If you can read the OEM part number off the solenoid you have Rockauto has a crossreference search function.

Yep. That's what they're calling the EVAP solenoid. I bet it would work for my EGR too.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 03/13/15 10:56 PM

So I went to the junkyard and grabbed an EGR solenoid for less than $15. I'll let you know how it goes once I get the thing all put back together. I pulled the water pump off last night and the threads on the bolt were a little messed up but I tried threading another bolt of the same thread and it felt good and firm. So then I notice I used the wrong bolt in that spot. It was just a little bit too short and wouldn't thread in enough, hence the leaking and stretching of the threads. So I'm going to just clean up the threads and put it back together. I got lucky on that one!

That's what happens when the machine shop takes all the nicely labelled baggies of bolts and hardware and takes them out the bags and dump them in the bottom of my oil pan even though they didn't use them...

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 02:17 AM

Ok so I replaced the EGR solenoid and EGR is functioning now. Fixed the EVAP leak and passed the EVAP test. But I failed the smog. The only driveability issue I'm having is hesitation when I first hit the gas from a stop. I came home and checked the flash codes and I've got 34 and 52. I already put a new VSS in. I'm going to take a look at the VSS circuit and see what I can see. But I have no idea what the Internal Control Failure is.

I've got high HC and CO Nox is good.

Lambda calc say's it's at .729

53 Internal control failure
34 Speed control Solenoid circuits

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 02:31 AM

little more info for you

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/faults/code-53.html
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 02:38 AM

If I am reading this correctly the hydrocarbons are high but the Co is way ouT in left field. engine running rich?

how do the spark plugs look?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda

Oh man. When I checked out the wiring when the engine was out the wires going to the o2 sensor were bare and shorting on eachother. I wonder if that did damage to the computer.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 04:13 AM

Quote:
But There is no reason to replace a part that has not been deemed bad. That's the main problem I have with your suggestion. I don't mean to sound rude or unappreciative but I need help that is based in logic. Not just swapping a part because that's your guess.

Again did you diagnose the back pressure EGR system correctly? Its not about a guess. Its a guess on how many other parts you want to blame/swap and none fix the problem. I try to help.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By NITROUSN
Quote:
But There is no reason to replace a part that has not been deemed bad. That's the main problem I have with your suggestion. I don't mean to sound rude or unappreciative but I need help that is based in logic. Not just swapping a part because that's your guess.

Again did you diagnose the back pressure EGR system correctly? Its not about a guess. Its a guess on how many other parts you want to blame/swap and none fix the problem. I try to help.

lol?

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By Instigate
Quote:

lol?

Lol, Lol.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 08:40 PM

Anyways..

I thought it was 53 but I see on the paper I wrote on when I was in the truck it says 52. So it's 52.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/19/15 09:43 PM

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/faults/code-51-52.html

Basically, running rich, which your smog test agrees with. Not likely the O2 sensor here. Run thru the driveability troubleshooting guide on the link. Might be something like coolant temp sensor stuck cold or similar.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/30/15 12:37 AM

So the VSS tested bad. I swapped it and it definitely helped with the hesitation I'm getting when I give it just a little bit of gas. But it's still smoother with the EGR capped off. I drove it around the block a few times and it's running good except for the very slight hesitation on acceleration. I'm curious to see if the rich code comes back or if it's fixed and I should try to smog it again. I could just take it in to my friends shop and try to smog it again but hes given me so many free tests I really want to have it right before I take it to him again. I checked the codes after driving it and it only has 12 for battery/computer has been unplugged which is normal since it was unplugged when I was testing the VSS circuit.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/31/15 05:37 AM

Passed smog with everything under the averages. So very clean. But I still do have some acceleration hesitation and idle feels a little bit shaky. But runs perfect with the EGR capped off.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 05/31/15 05:07 PM

I know you probably can't in Cali, but I yanked all my smog off an 88 R/C I had and it ran 10x better and still avg'd 17.2mpg combined. I had the same issues, ran like poo poo sputtered, hesitated, I could tune it out so I yanked all the unnecessary garbage and problem solved.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/03/15 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck
I know you probably can't in Cali, but I yanked all my smog off an 88 R/C I had and it ran 10x better and still avg'd 17.2mpg combined. I had the same issues, ran like poo poo sputtered, hesitated, I could tune it out so I yanked all the unnecessary garbage and problem solved.

Ya I wouldn't ask my friend to pass a truck like that so I would be looking at paying $100 extra every other year to bribe some other smog tech to pass it. I would rather just fix it right.

I swear it's running hotter than normal and it boiled over when we did the smog. I'm sure it wouldn't have boiled over if we had put the fan in front of it but oh well. When I worked there we didn't bother to put the fan on unless it was really hot that day or the vehicle looked suspect. It didn't really get that hot and it was clean so the test was short. But it did boil over after he turned it off. And it was leaking out the radiator cap. No other leaks. Made me think bad radiator cap or bad fan clutch. But the radiator cap is new. I cleaned it off and topped off the coolant and drove it all around today. It runs perfect on the freeway but when I get stopped at a light it doesn't overheat but it does seem to inch up a little bit. Makes me think fan clutch. Also, everything else it new.

Cap
Radiator
Hoses
Thermostat
CTS
Water Pump

Other than the running hot issue it does still have hesitation on acceleration at low speeds, on the freeway it runs perfect. It almost feels like I'm driving with the E-brake on until I get past 35 or so. Feels a bit underpowered.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/03/15 05:17 AM

Quote:
But runs perfect with the EGR capped off.

Clue 1.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/03/15 10:06 AM

Quote:
But runs perfect with the EGR capped off.

Clue 1.

Oh, that's helpful.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/06/15 10:33 AM

Swapped out the fan clutch and the running hot is fixed. Still has hesitation on acceleration but I've got the EGR capped off so it's running perfect. But I still want to find out why the EGR is too much or too soon or whatever the issue is. I have tested the EGR valve itself for operation with a vacuum pump and it makes the engine shutter when I apply vacuum directly to the EGR valve. The solenoid is working giving EGR only when it hit the gas. I'm getting 18-20 lbs after the transducer when I give it gas. Not sure what else to try. I noticed today that the back of the oil pan was covered in oil again. I noticed when I got the truck back not only was the timing off so bad it was backfiring it was also over full on oil. Oil is up over 1/2 in past full. Is that really enough to make a seal fail? I don't think it is and I'm hoping it's just the oil filter plate leaking again but Idk. I cleaned it all off and drove it around and don't see anything yet so I'll have to drive it more and maybe get some UV dye to figure that one out.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/06/15 02:43 PM

I doubt unhooking the EGR will cause your vehicle to fail emissions inspection. You can leave it on and hook it up when you need the test. I've had cars pass w/ a non-operational smog pump. Sorry I can't help. The one and only thing we have good going on here in Md. is that if you tag your vehicle as Historic, you don't need that silly emissions inspection anymore.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/06/15 09:24 PM

Yea I know I could just leave it how it is now but I want it all fixed up right. You can get a historic tag in cali too.

"These special plates are issued, upon request, for motor vehicles manufactured after 1922 which are at least 25 years old and of historic interest."
-CA DMV

But my pickup is only an 89.

/And actually unhooking your EGR will cause it to fail for NOx most likely. But ya I could hook it up for the test.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/06/15 09:43 PM

2015-1989 = 26

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/06/15 10:09 PM

oh [censored] but how can I say it's historic?

My grandfather bought it new in 89. He was a Korean war veteran. He left the truck to me and I fixed it up.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/06/15 11:36 PM

From http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/veh/5050-5052.html

"Special interest vehicle" is a vehicle of an age that is
unaltered from the manufacturer's original specifications and,
because of its significance, including, but not limited to, an
out-of-production vehicle or a model of less than 2,000 sold in
California in a model-year, is collected, preserved, restored, or
maintained by a hobbyist as a leisure pursuit.

Dodge does not make trucks anymore.

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 06/07/15 01:49 AM

Nice! I'll have to apply for one!

Re: 89 318 TBI Freshly Rebuilt Engine Idle Surging / Stalls - 07/18/15 02:56 AM

So I've been ignoring the oil leak and just keeping an eye on the oil level. But I did check the oil sender and its not leaking. I think it has to be the rear main or the oil filter plate. I checked it out before install and it checked out straight and I added the extra holes. Maybe I bent it when I drilled the holes or something I forget what order I did things. And I've just got the EGR capped off so I can drive the truck.

I drove up to LA and while going up a steady incline on the freeway I ended up having to floor it and it would just barely keep up to 65mph. I've also been noticing for a while now that when I turn on the AC there it makes the lack of power worse, which makes sense. The added strain of the compressor. So I threw an ignition coil at it and that didn't help. It has a new cat, new muffler, ATF level is good. Not sure what else to try. Compression is normal and uniform. Fuel pressure was perfect when I checked it after replacing the injectors. And I think I remember checking it again for some reason and it's always been good. I could check it again. I should just put in a permanent gauge.

The other issue I'm having is while warming up the coolant will push past the radiator cap until the thermostat opens up, then it's all good. Not every time but it was every now and then. I replaced the fan clutch and I thought it had fixed it. New radiator, thermostat, cap, hoses, water pump, fan clutch.

This truck has had nothing but distilled water and coolant in the cooling system. My grandfather bought this truck and he was a mechanic so he kept great care of the engine with religious oil changes and nothing but distilled water and coolant in the cooling system. So I was very surprised when seemingly one day the coolant turned rust color. I have been keeping an eye on the fluid levels and it couldn't have been more than a week between the time I last checked the coolant when it was green. So I flushed the coolant and ran straight distilled water for a few days and the water did get a little bit cloudy but it seemed to not be getting worse. The same day I noticed the rust color I was having some coolant leaking on the floor of the cab. I knew I needed to replace the heater core years ago because I was getting fog out of the vents. So I got the part and never changed it because it wasn't leaking and it looks like a [censored]. So now that it is leaking I deleted it from the cooling system and will reconnect it when I get a chance to swap the heater core. So I assume the rust color came from the bad heater core right? Reason I'm not sure is because the coolant that was leaking into the cab was green.
© 2024 Moparts Forums