Moparts

whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at?

Posted By: aarcuda

whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/10/09 11:51 PM

i have 20w50 oil in mine and i decided 45 was too cold....
Posted By: buildanother

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 12:20 AM

I've run 20-50 below zero in years past. Even in a beater chevy or two.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 12:46 AM

Back in the mid 90's we had near 40 below. My 79 300 started, when much newer cars wouldn't. Is that what you were wondering?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 12:47 AM

20* below 0. Any colder than that and I would be out.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 12:56 AM

well, i admit, any ol transortation car and i'll try and start it anywhere.

but im talking about my brand new 416 stroker thats sits for week at a time. filled with thick 20w50 oil.

surely you wouldnt start a car with 20w50 in it at cold temp as youd have glue for oil...
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 12:59 AM

You used to be able to get an electric 'dipstick' heater that would go down the dipstick tube and preheat the oil. Don't know if you can still get them but maybe do a search?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 01:05 AM

When I lived here 13 years ago it got down to -40 f and I just wanted to see if my 68 dart would start and it fired right up after I brought the battery in to warm up for an hour. Yes it always had 20-50 in it. My 68 cuda started up the other day at -20 f but I run 10-30 in it and my 00 durango, my 91 dak started and it has 20-50 because it burns so much.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 01:05 AM

I have a dipstick heater for the oil a block heater for the coolant & a trickle charger for the battery all wired to a plug in. With a timer its ready to go when I jump in it. it doesn't get that cold here but I like to pamper the baby(me not the car).
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 01:27 AM

I'll run it at any temp but always have in the correct grade of oil for the temp.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 01:43 AM

I usually run straight SAE30 in the GTX, but I got distracted last time I changed the oil, grabbed the wrong bottles and currently it has 4 quarts of of 15w40 Castrol, and three quarts of 20w50 Valvoline.

I guess that gives me something like 17 and 1/2 W 45??

Oops

Oh well it'll get changed in the spring anyway.

If the multigrade oil is working properly, then it should act the same as straight SAE 20 at cold temps. To me that doesn't sound too bad.

What did people do before multigrade oil was popularized? They ran straight weight and started them up when needed, right?

But if this is going to be an ongoing thing, you'd probably be better served by a 10W multigrade, I would think?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 01:45 AM

My car has 20w50 in it, started it in freezing temps a couple weeks ago to move it. Crank the key til you get oil pressure then fire it up
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 02:01 AM

I drove 60 miles to a neigboring city last week at 5:30AM and it was 35 below zero. The Dakota wouldn't shift into OD at that temperature. Usually have the block heater plugged in at anything much below 0. It has been well below 0 most of the last 3 weeks and the vehicles go every day. The wife's van doesn't have a block heater and it starts and she goes to work every day.
don't even think about starting one with 20/50 oil in it, I don't even like to think of that at 35 degrees. That stuff gets real thick in hurry. 10-30 is bad enough.
Posted By: 78D150CLUB

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 02:17 AM

I run 15-40 year round and have a habit of driving away with only a very short warmup.
One day was so cold the wind chill thru the rad actually turned 50/50 antifreze to slush and I had to stop and wait for it to melt out to keep the engine from overheating. That's cold!

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 02:35 AM

well you know, just because you can start it up and drive it, doesnt mean that its a good thing. I think youd get a lot more wear and tear on a motor started at really cold temps.
Posted By: 78D150CLUB

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 02:45 AM

4-5 minutes while I clear ice and snow off the windshield and then city speeds for another 5-10.
I know that most wear occurs on cold start, but I was more pointing to that being the coldest I've seen when the moving air actually drops the temp below a tested -35 antifreeze.
I think the brass monkeys were all staying inside that morning.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 03:12 AM

wind chill only affects warm blooded people/animals. It can drop the temp of an object faster than it would drop if there was no wind but it doesn't drop it below the ambient temp.
Posted By: I go fast

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 04:29 AM

Quote:

well you know, just because you can start it up and drive it, doesnt mean that its a good thing. I think youd get a lot more wear and tear on a motor started at really cold temps.

You'd rather walk?
Posted By: DZJim

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 06:57 AM

I lived in Anchorage for several years. It doesn't really get very cold there very often. I used 5-20 in the winter and started without preheat at -10F and din;t worry about it. If it is an expensive engine I'd be running 5-30 synthetic. Why 20-50 anyway? If you worry about it, get a block heater or tank heater.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:27 AM

Quote:

I lived in Anchorage for several years. It doesn't really get very cold there very often.

You say it doesn't get cold in Alaska?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 01:52 PM

Back in the 80s the day the Bengals played in the "freezer bowl" I think it was 20 below or something like that.I had a rusty 73 challenger with a hot 340 that I built. It was the only car that would start in my nieghborhood. It even sat outside all nite. I ran errands for all my neighbors that day because there cars woundn't start. After that day they never complained about the car being loud again.
Posted By: PLMCRZY

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 02:56 PM

i wouldn't start my chally below maybe 50-55 but my daily drivers are like me they are good to about 0.
dennis
Posted By: bobby66

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 03:15 PM

Many years ago I used to fire up my Hemi Roadrunner to jump start Dad's Maverick. Probably 25 degrees a couple of those mornings.
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 04:33 PM

I think theres no doubt that temperature will affect longetivity. The JD 3055 down here in Louisiana has 13,000 hours on the original engine and has been abused (oil chnages every 500 hrs or so, with no air filters changes/maintenance) and still doing well.
Up in Maine/Vermont, you see alot of JDs the same size with the same use with only 4000-7000 hours. We alwasy have to change oil in our 2550 and 6410 from 15w-40 to 5-30 in the winter if we wanted to have reliable starting and then the issue of fuel gelling clogging the filters......
If I had a car I cared about, like if it was my Dads or grandads original 340, 440, hemi etc car, I would not start that below 40 or so. With the carbs and vaporization and oil viscosity, unless its my daily driver I would just hold off. 20w-50 is thick stuff, would not even consider trying to start our diesels with that in it without changing it out. We havn't used it since the late 80s. My

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:00 PM

Quote:

I think theres no doubt that temperature will affect longetivity. The JD 3055 down here in Louisiana has 13,000 hours on the original engine and has been abused (oil chnages every 500 hrs or so, with no air filters changes/maintenance) and still doing well.
Up in Maine/Vermont, you see alot of JDs the same size with the same use with only 4000-7000 hours. We alwasy have to change oil in our 2550 and 6410 from 15w-40 to 5-30 in the winter if we wanted to have reliable starting and then the issue of fuel gelling clogging the filters......
If I had a car I cared about, like if it was my Dads or grandads original 340, 440, hemi etc car, I would not start that below 40 or so. With the carbs and vaporization and oil viscosity, unless its my daily driver I would just hold off. 20w-50 is thick stuff, would not even consider trying to start our diesels with that in it without changing it out. We havn't used it since the late 80s. My

Yep. My '72 318 has lived its whole life in Calif and Western Washington. A few nights in the twenties is all the cold we get. 230,000 miles and it doesn't smoke at all. My '65 327 was in Anchorage, Alaska for only four winters. Lots of short trips. 125,000 miles and its a smoker...

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You'd rather walk?

no, i have other cars i start anytime any temp. im just talking about a fresh build (less than or around 1000 miles on) 416. I wanted to go for a cruise but I pulled the dipstick when it was about 38 degrees outside and the oil seemed think. so I didnt go for the cruise (I had the same urge and temp and result today). its not like i had to walk. if i did, i would most probably been driving.... transportation is important

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I lived in Anchorage for several years. It doesn't really get very cold there very often.

You say it doesn't get cold in Alaska?

Alaska's a big place. Juneau ain't Anchorage ain't Fairbanks climate-wise. Anchorage is (relatively) mild. Seen days in the winter there when it was colder down in Texas. I used to wash my car during the winter there when we'd have a warm day in the 30s.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:09 PM

i just saw some places in alaska are hitting -20 degrees this week.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:12 PM

Quote:

Some of us don't have any choice.
Quote:

i just saw some places in alaska are hitting -20 degrees this week.

Been there and colder for the last 3+ weeks. Today it is up to 14 above and it feels like we are in the banana belt. Supposed to be sub zero again for most of the next week. Blizzard watch out for tonight and tomorrow with up to 6" more snow ontop of the 30 or so already on the ground and 35 mph winds will make it right interesting.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 07:15 PM

Having a convertible, I wouldn't start it at anything below 70 degrees. But being in California that's rarely a problem.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/11/09 09:34 PM

Why do you want to start it?
Are you going out for a drive?

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 01:09 AM

Quote:

Why do you want to start it?
Are you going out for a drive?

i wanted to, yes. Im getting a little antsy and want to take er out for a romp.... quite satisfying. but i didnt. chickened out.

next week it will be in the 30's. so maybe next weekend...
Posted By: Twostick

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 01:16 AM

Synthetic will solve the problem. I run 10w30 Mobil1 in my 4.7 Ram and it spins the same at -20 as it does at +70. I would not be keen on firing an engine like yours up in this weather (0ish) with 20w50 in it unless it was synthetic. Just asking to twist off the oil pump drive IMHO.

Kevin
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 02:15 AM

I had 20w50 in my D150 when i was up camping in VT a few weeks ago. There was a cold snap and it was 5 or 10 below over the night and the high was 12 that day. I had to move the truck in the morning so i had no choice but to start it.

It started right up but oil light took along time to shut off and the lifers sang for a wile. I just let it idle until it warmed up and the lifters shut up.

I wouldnt try and start a new motor like that unless i really had to.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 02:21 AM

Do you realize how thick 20/50 gets when cold. The reason the lifters rattled is that the pump couldn't move oil. At that temp it will not pour out of a bottle.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 02:27 AM

Where are you?
I have at least 5 cm of snow every few days to deal with and minus 5c

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

I have at least 5 cm of snow every few days to deal with and minus 5c

No metrics please
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 03:20 AM

Quote:

wind chill only affects warm blooded people/animals. It can drop the temp of an object faster than it would drop if there was no wind but it doesn't drop it below the ambient temp.

Right on RR

Also guys keep in mind the clearances between things
are a lot different at cold temps vs hot temps. I'd freak out more trying to run a hot engine with no oil pressure at start up vs a cold one.
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/12/09 04:13 AM

Quote:

Do you realize how thick 20/50 gets when cold. The reason the lifters rattled is that the pump couldn't move oil. At that temp it will not pour out of a bottle.

Ya i know. I forgot it was in there because i parked the truck back when gas was $4+/gal. This trip was the 1st time i used it since the summer. Im sticking to 10w30 now year round in everything.

The 20w50 was just a band aid to the leaky valve seals anyways.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 12:15 AM

I had to fire up the Savoy and give a potential engine buyer a ride around the block in 36* weather a few weeks ago.It has 20-50 in it and pegged the 80 psi gauge
Gus
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 12:40 AM

Meh, your all a bunch of sissies. Like i said, 20w50, started, lifters were pumped up fine (the oil probably doesn't drain out of them when its that cold). Drove it around for a little bit mind you with some snow and ice on the ground drag radials aren't the best for traction. Got the job done, Got some thumbs up and parked it.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 01:19 AM

Boy,there must be something wrong with the motor in my bird.Can start it in 20 degree weather,have oil pressure immediatly and "never" goes below 65psi at idle in any temp.Just might tear into it and see whats wrong.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 01:29 AM

Quote:

it doesn't get that cold here but I like to pamper the baby(me not the car).

Does that sound like a sissy to you

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Right on RR

are a lot different at cold temps vs hot temps. I'd freak out more trying to run a hot engine with no oil pressure at start up vs a cold one.

Hmmm; I'm no expert, but seem to me like there is zero clearance until an oil film is established; and the lesser viscosity lubricant will be pumped to the surfaces sooner than the thicker stuff. Just my $0.02

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 02:56 AM

That's why I use my accusump religiously, a quarter turn flip of the handle, in 6 seconds the psi is up. It's not reaching all of the rods due to the crank position/oiling holes with my half groove main bearings but it's much better than not using one.
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right on RR

Hmmm; I'm no expert, but seem to me like there is zero clearance until an oil film is established; and the lesser viscosity lubricant will be pumped to the surfaces sooner than the thicker stuff. Just my $0.02

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 01:36 PM

teens??? I drove a 69 383 Charger as a daily for a while I used 10/40 and it'd start right up in teens w/ ease... I usually just let the car idle for 30-40 seconds in N before I try and drive it, reguardless of vehicle.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 02:11 PM

So I guess my last question would be,how many engines (properly maintained) have been ruined by starting in cold weather? My best guess of those that have replied so far would be none.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right on RR

There is a residual oil film maintained and the mains and rod bearings will receive oil before slightly before the gauge shows pressure.
Off topic but ever when a lifter pops out of the bore and the oil pressure drops to 0 because of a large flowage at the lifter bore the mains and rod bearings should still be oiling as they are first in line for oiling and the oil flows from them to the cam and lifters and the pressure line is in teh line above the bottom end bearings.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 02:49 PM

Better to ask can you start your car right up with no choke and at 0 degree's and using point ignition to boot 10w 40w oil. Never had a problem since using the newer style starters. I highly also recommend 5-20wt semi synthetic for any daily drivers use it and it works !
Posted By: dart_sportsatellite

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 03:04 PM

I was looking in my rear view mirror today, and would swear that I sold a 70s Challenger on the road. -17 F. here now.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 03:35 PM

well i glanced at my service manual over the weekend and saw the oil vicosity/temperature page.

basically, it said to used 10w40 where temps are consistantly above 32 degrees. the chart went down to say running straight 10w at temps below -10 degrees. thats sounds crazy.

I didnt see 20w50 listed but f i take all the oil and temps they did list, it sounded like 20w50 might be best if its not used at temps too low. ie, if 10w40 was not recommended for under 32 degrees, I would venture to guess that 20w50 would not be recommended for use around 36-38 degrees or below

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/13/09 05:01 PM

Quote:

well i glanced at my service manual over the weekend and saw the oil vicosity/temperature page.

basically, it said to used 10w40 where temps are consistantly above 32 degrees. the chart went down to say running straight 10w at temps below -10 degrees. thats sounds crazy.

I didnt see 20w50 listed but f i take all the oil and temps they did list, it sounded like 20w50 might be best if its not used at temps too low. ie, if 10w40 was not recommended for under 32 degrees, I would venture to guess that 20w50 would not be recommended for use around 36-38 degrees or below

I agree with the 20/50 other than I wouldn't use it below 40 if I could help it. It pour factor is slow at best at that temp and any lower it gets real thick.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/14/09 09:53 PM

I drove my Mirada with a built up 360 through the winter a few years ago because it was my only running car at the time. I ran 15w40 in it with a high volume oil pump and I was always worried I might shear the oil pump drive starting it in the winter. Temps would usually be 0-15* F. For the first few minutes the 80psi pressure gauge would be pretty much pegged
Posted By: AndyF

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/14/09 11:02 PM

My last Mopar daily driver vehicle was a 1976 D200 pickup truck with a 440 and that rig would not start if the temp was below freezing. I installed a factory block heater in it and that solved that problem. If I didn't plug the heater in though the motor would just turn over really slow and never fire. I think it was a combination of thick oil, cold battery and poor fuel atomization.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 12:06 AM

early this morning we hit 30 below again and both vehicles were run today. My truck was plugged in all morning but the wife's van sat in a unheated garage and she left for 'Curves' and then work at 5:30AM. Supposed to be colder tonight. Not supposed to get above 0 before sometime Friday. Then possibly int the plus 30's next week. Bikini weather. My hay is under there someplace.

Attached picture 4948327-Hay2009.jpg
Posted By: tampacuda69

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 02:09 AM

Back in mid '80's I had a '72 Toyota Celica. Parked outside during very cold winters. I had to spray starter fluid into the carb to get it to start. It would with a bang, till that one -13 deg. morning when it went bag, started and ran for 3 seconds. Broke the cam timing gear, and cam shaft.
Posted By: mickm

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 02:28 AM

back in the day my hemi gtx was my daily driver. lived in colorado, and used to fire it up almost every day. i'm sure there were a few times when it wouldn't start, but i don't specifically remember.

one time, driving down a snow packed road, i thought hmmmm....

put it in 4th gear, dumped the clutch, and buried the 150mph speedometer, all while doing about 5 mph

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 02:44 AM

8:30PM now and -26 and dropping. Vehicles will be going in the morning.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 03:48 AM

Quote:

8:30PM now and -26 and dropping. Vehicles will be going in the morning.

I guess that answers the original question!

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 01:07 PM

ya, well i hope he has a block heater or some 0w30 weight oil in it

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 02:47 PM

Quote:

ya, well i hope he has a block heater or some 0w30 weight oil in it

She left at 5:30 and it was -29. 10/30. Don't believe in synthetics or want to pay the price. In over 45 years of car ownership have yet to have an engine failier on any of our daily drivers and up till recently normally never run any oil lighter than 10/30. That is what is in the Dakota and it has 130,000 miles on it. Well hell so has the van got that for mileage. Van is in a unheated metal garage and the truck sits outside but is a block heater plugged in when it is below 0
Posted By: 69superbee383

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 03:14 PM

Coldest ever for me was my 73 340 Duster back in 1980. Temp here dropped to -3 F and I drove it to work thru the snow like any other day. Around here cold or snow is a severe event.

To you guys up north what we called the "blizzard of 80" would have been a flurry and the temp would have been a thaw.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 03:24 PM

Bismarck ND set a record low for the date at -40 last night.

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/15/09 03:46 PM

Quote:

Coldest ever for me was my 73 340 Duster back in 1980. Temp here dropped to -3 F and I drove it to work thru the snow like any other day. Around here cold or snow is a severe event.

To you guys up north what we called the "blizzard of 80" would have been a flurry and the temp would have been a thaw.

Ain't it beautiful? See what you're missing.

Attached picture 4949576-Snow-1.jpg
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/16/09 05:55 AM

Its been -30 or colder here the last few days and I havent had any problems with my car. It starts up and moans for a little bit but runs fine. Its the only car I have that doesnt have a heater to plug in. Ill probably change to some different kind of oil on the weekend. The worst problem is waiting for the frost to get off the windshield.
Posted By: mkdart

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/17/09 05:23 PM

Friday morning was -11 here in cleveland. My Trailblazer SS started like it was summertime.
I have 5/30 mobil 1 in it. Mike
Posted By: MoPar Jamie

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/18/09 08:07 AM

I'm running 20w50 in both my '95 Dakota and my '81 D-250. The Dakota pops right off with no problems, its nearing 200k however and its a loose motor. The motor in the D-250 only has 28k on it so I'm considering switching back to 10w40.

I've had to drop oil in it in the mid 20s and yeah that 20w50 was pretty danged thick. Came out like goo out of the cold bottle. It also takes some time when its cold out to get the lifters pumped up.

I fired it off last week in mid-teens weather and it did okay once the oil got to pumping (took a few secs though). It did crank slowly though.
Posted By: ahy

Re: whats the coldest temp you'd start your car at? - 01/18/09 01:16 PM

I've had several starts over the last week at -17 and -18 with a Hemi Durango running 5W-30 synthetic oil. It started right up and no OP problems. If I had to do it on a regular basis I'd run a block heater to make it easier on the engine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums