Moparts

Condensation In Oil?

Posted By: RangerDan440

Condensation In Oil? - 01/10/09 09:10 PM

I changed the oil in my 04 Ram Hemi today noticed a LOT of condensation under the fill cap (it has the big plastic one that the new cars have)-enough that 5-6 drops of water went back down the fill tube. Before I filled the crankcase again, I let it ventilate for about an hour. After I refilled the crankcase, I ran it for a few minutes (not to operating temp but enough to warm it up a little) and didnt see any water in the oil, or hear anything bad and psi was normal. I checked the PCV valve it was OK.

Then I looked at my wife's Durango (4.7) which has the same fill cap as the Hemi. It was also wet with yellow jelly coagulated on the bottom. Again, the oil looked fine and its not due for an oil change for another 1000 miles.

Maybe I just never noticed it before but is this normal for all this condensation to sit up under fill caps on these engines? They seat very tight and I can see how the crankcases dont breathe as well as the older engines screw-in fill caps and breathers in the valve cover (the PCVs on both trucks tested OK)
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/10/09 09:18 PM

normal in cold weather
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/10/09 09:45 PM

Perfectly normal. In cooler weather it builds faster than in warm. Only cure is to drive the vehicle till it is thoroughly warmed up (not just the gauge reading) which only tells the coolant temp but not the system temp. everything has to have a chance to get to operating temperature and for long enough for condesants to be evaporated out of the system. Condensation is a natural thing for any internal combustion engine and really not just in cold temperatures. They are just more prevalent and harder to get rid of the colder it is. Another reason for frequent oil changes in colder temperatures.
Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/10/09 10:20 PM

its been exceptionally cold lately so I guess thats why I thought it seemed it excessive.

I hate winter
Posted By: ademon

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/10/09 10:26 PM

Thats normal even when driving a lot, I usually block my grill in the winter, warms up quick, and eliminates the condensation in the fill tube + better fuel milage, Dakota with a 4.7.

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/10/09 11:45 PM

Hate winter??? We haven't been over 5 degrees above 0 days and down to 30 below nights for the last 3 weeks or so. Record snow with vertually no place to put it any more. Getting dangerous driving in town because you can't see around intersections.
Posted By: Fluffy

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/11/09 01:28 AM

Quote:

its been exceptionally cold lately so I guess thats why I thought it seemed it excessive.

I hate winter

Weenie.

On the 4.7 they make a rerouted PCV for the 4.7 to fix that problem. However, if you just switch to Synthetic fluids, it'll fix itself in a couple of oil changes.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/11/09 01:32 AM

One thing I've noticed driving high mileage beaters is, the more worn they are/the more blowby they have....the more moisture seems to end up in there. My '83 5th Avenue 318 was the worst I've ever seen, I'd have to pull the stick 10 times to get all the gunk off...however it had 210,000 miles on it and didn't owe me anything. My 2005 Neon with 34,000 miles has nothing visible yet but it probably will when it ages.

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/11/09 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hate winter

Weenie.

On the 4.7 they make a rerouted PCV for the 4.7 to fix that problem. However, if you just switch to Synthetic fluids, it'll fix itself in a couple of oil changes.

Synthetic oil does not cure condensation. Condensation will occur no matter what oil you have and it will contaminate it just as much. Don't kid you self.
Posted By: 78D150CLUB

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/11/09 02:55 AM

Quote:

Hate winter??? We haven't been over 5 degrees above 0 days and down to 30 below nights for the last 3 weeks or so. Record snow with vertually no place to put it any more. Getting dangerous driving in town because you can't see around intersections.

Kinda sounds like Canada from Sept to June.

Always seem to see more moisture here during the colder weather. We have one forklift at work that is particularly bad for it because they run it about 5 minutes at a time about 3 times a day.
Always white gunk on the dipstick when you check it.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/12/09 08:44 AM

Global Warming is now Climate Change.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Condensation In Oil? - 01/12/09 04:42 PM

The Jeep Liberty's do the same thing, nasty yellow/white crap in the filler cap, we were told that's normal...
© 2024 Moparts Forums