Moparts

Jeep electrical help

Posted By: 19SuperBee70

Jeep electrical help - 02/09/15 03:19 AM

Posting here after posting in the jeep section and another jeep forum and not getting any love. Swapping a 4.0 from a 92 into my 95 wrangler 4 cylinder. Using the engine harness and computer from the 92. The dash harness and headlight harness is from my 95. I thought everything was the same but apparently I'm wrong.

Starter relay does not get power when the key is turned to start. It will start and run fine when you jumper at the starter and the key is turned to run. Now the even funnier part. it starts with the brake pedal. When the key is on and you depress the brake it starts and runs fine...something must be different between the years regarding brake light and starter relay wiring.

The wiring diagrams in my chiltons manual aren't the best and aren't helping. I did find a pin readout of the firewall junction block but it looks like the start/run/brake pins are the same between the years. The 92 did have an alarm but I think all the wiring was in the dash harness, the engine harness I am using looks unmodified.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Jeep electrical help - 02/09/15 04:12 AM

Quote:

Posting here after posting in the jeep section and another jeep forum and not getting any love. It will start and run fine when you jumper at the starter and the key is turned to run. Now the even funnier part. it starts with the brake pedal. When the key is on and you depress the brake it starts and runs fine.

You'll get alot of love here. It starts/runs fine with the pedal depressed & keeps running (fine) when you then let off the pedal? It'd be a good antitheft system. What I'd do is trace out what (else) is being energized by the pedal switch being closed. here's a BTT for ya
Posted By: 19SuperBee70

Re: Jeep electrical help - 02/09/15 04:33 AM

Problem is every time i break the starter engages. Brake pedal acts just like turning the key to start. Hoping i can swap two wires at the junction block. I'll start tracing this week. Might be cool to put in a foot starter like m m37.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Jeep electrical help - 02/09/15 04:39 AM

Quote:

Problem is every time i break the starter engages.

obviously that ain't gonna fly. I wish I could help but I do not know that system. I'd wanna find out what circuit is open/missing that is supposed to engage the starter. Good luck with it
© 2024 Moparts Forums