Moparts

Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there?

Posted By: Roadrunner440-6

Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 04:19 AM

Does anyone know if it matters which side the seal splice is on (where the seal connects together). I've seen it on the drivers side and on the passenger as in the picture. Why not hide it in the back of the shaker? Any shaker experts out there???? Thanks!

Attached picture 4936897-IMG00020.jpg
Posted By: sixpaktoogo

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 05:06 AM

I've had a few originals, and the seam was always on the passenger side. But you know the old saying -"Never say never".

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 07:12 AM

never say never is true! Pics in all the restoration books show it on the drivers side yet... I know mine is exactly as it was in 1970. Could it be per plant how they installed the seal???? certainly I would have to think that they were all made at the same location????? So.......is there any standard for it or just where ever they felt like connecting the seal on that particuliar day.....
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 07:25 AM

Shaker seals were supposed to be seemed on the passenger side center. The glue was a brownish mustard yellow color and they were then covered with a wid piece of tape that looks like black duct tape.

Were there exceptions? As with everything else Mopar, usually there was. But if you are shooting for what most consider to be "correct" and you don't know how your cars was originally detailed, center passenger side is the way to go.

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 07:55 AM

Well Scott.....once again you come to the rescue! ....this is number 3. Thanks... Mike(shaun's dad)

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 08:39 AM

Mike, here's a pic of an original, never removed, just missing the tape and in bad shape. It's a good reference for the location

Attached picture 4937276-ShakerSealButtGlue.jpg

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 08:41 AM

Here's one with the black tape still in place, 100% untouched low mile original.

Attached picture 4937278-ShakerBase.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 02:06 PM

According to the Fram print the seal seam was to go on the passenger side of the adapter just ahead of the bellcrank bracket.
Arrow points to shaded area ( seal )

Attached picture 4937449-shakerseal2.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 02:24 PM

Here's another picture of an unmolested original, joined in the same location as picture Scott posted

Attached picture 4937467-bellcrank1.jpg

Re: Shaker seal restoration........any experts out there? - 01/10/09 05:13 PM

Thanks guys for all the info! It's greatly appreciated!
© 2024 Moparts Forums