Moparts

Mallory or Crane ignition

Posted By: jake4cars

Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/04/15 04:35 PM

The MSD 6a in my Valiant has gone bad and I am looking to replace it with something different, anyone have experience with either the Mallory or Crane units?

I drive this car a lot so obviously durability is a concern.

Thanks,
Joey
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/04/15 05:20 PM

Since you already have the wiring setup for the 6A, how about sending the existing unit to these guys for a rebuild?
This way you can keep your wiring and save some money on buying a new unit. Techwest will rebuild your existing MSD unit.

http://techwestracing.com

""If you have a failed MSD ®6a,MSD ®6al,MSD ®6t,MSD ®6aln, you have only to pack up the failed MSD ® ignition box and ship it to us. We do ask that you drop us a quick note to give us a heads up so we can be looking for your MSD ® ignition box. Once your MSD ® ignition box arrives here at TechWest Racing Services we will troubleshoot your MSD ® ignition so we can provide you with options to repair your failed MSD ® ignition. The average repair charge 90% of the time for the above failure runs $90.00 to $125.00 plus shipping charges. Anything above that will be charged at the normal shop rate of $55.00 an hour plus parts."
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/04/15 05:32 PM

I sent my 6AL back to MSD about 15 years ago and it's been going strong since then and it was less than $50.00 with shipping.
I don't know how reliable they are anymore judging from some of the negative feedback I have read here and other sites.
Maybe give Rick a call or PM at Firecore for one of their new units.
Gus

Attached picture 8418725-mysavoy.jpg

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/04/15 07:02 PM

Thanks Gus, I like the firecore idea but I don't see anything listed on their site, I called Mancini and they push MSD, so, I guess back to square one, although I have used Msd for years, I am looking for feedback on alternatives.

Joey
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/04/15 08:55 PM

I sure liked my crane HI6. Never gave me a lick of problem. As far as I know it is still in the car.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/05/15 12:48 AM

The Crane HI-6 has made big inroads in the racing world. The HI-6N is used a lot in NASCAR. (Full disclosure, I have a Crane ignition box in the Engines section).
R.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/05/15 01:06 AM

I run a Crane HI-6 has been rock solid for daily driving
and for multiple 20 minute road course runs
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/05/15 03:46 AM

I know a couple of racers that use Mallory and have had no problems at all.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/05/15 05:10 AM

I've been running a Crane box and coil for at least ten years now and it's been trouble free.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/05/15 05:40 AM

I use a Mallory dist thats been in my car since 2006 with no problems ever. Ron

Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/05/15 06:17 AM

We have a dealer here near North Ridgeville. He's installed more than 100 of our ignition boxes. He loves them. Either callus tomorrow, or pm me your number. Thanks. Very easy to install. Same power as an MSD 6AL.Easier to set rpm limits. Thanks
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/06/15 02:11 AM

I have run Jacobs ignition on a few cars and it was great...
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/06/15 05:10 PM

In one of my cars over the course of a decade I ran a Jacobs, Mallory, Crane, and MSD. Net result is that there is not enough of a difference between well set up versions of any of these to really make a comparison. Speed and e.t. between them all was not significant enough to say any one of them was superior. The driver is a bigger variable to the equation.

Re: Mallory or Crane ignition - 02/08/15 09:07 PM

Quote:

In one of my cars over the course of a decade I ran a Jacobs, Mallory, Crane, and MSD. Net result is that there is not enough of a difference between well set up versions of any of these to really make a comparison. Speed and e.t. between them all was not significant enough to say any one of them was superior. The driver is a bigger variable to the equation.

I don't think there would be any appreciable difference from one to the other, my goal is simply to replace a malfunctioning unit so I was interested in the durability of other units, I have purchased a crane box from a member here so I guess time will tell if it is better or not.
I do appreciate all of the responses, you guys are great!!

Joey
© 2024 Moparts Forums