Moparts

Removing powder coating ?

Posted By: FASTBACK340

Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 07:51 PM

I have a pair of sheet metal valve covers that got scratched and I powder coated them. I want to strip off the powder coating and have the aluminum polished. What's the safest and easiest method to remove powder coat?
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 08:06 PM

I have used paint stripper to remove powdercoating.

It works just like it does on paint, but if the powdercoat is really thick you might have to use a few coats of the stripper.

Posted By: ahy

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 08:27 PM

Quote:

I have used paint stripper to remove powdercoating.

It works just like it does on paint, but if the powdercoat is really thick you might have to use a few coats of the stripper.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 08:30 PM

i'm almost positive there is a special powder coating stripper out there Contact one of your local commercial powder coating supplier to get it
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 08:53 PM

eastwood (and probably a lot of other places) sells powder coat stripper. as mentioned, it's basically paint stripper.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 09:27 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of sheet metal valve covers that got scratched and I powder coated them. I want to strip off the powder coating and have the aluminum polished. What's the safest and easiest method to remove powder coat?

I'm a paint chemist & I used to sell powder coating. There are two ways to remove it. The easiest is to burn it off (powder coaters use "burn off" ovens if they make a mistake). You can also use a paint stripper as the other guys mentioned & the best ones contain methylene chloride which works great BUT is a known carcinogen and will also make you pass out if you don't have good ventilation... also a little rough on the skin. Soaking usually takes several days, even a week.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/24/15 10:17 PM

aircraft stripper - brush on and cover with plastic

Can also be removed by blasting - used to use plastic beads as not to damage the plating underneath (military parts).
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/25/15 12:35 AM

Permatex Gasket Remover is THE BEST to remove powder coat. It will peel off in minutes! And it will do NO harm to the aluminum. Comes in an easy-to-use spray bomb. Also won't burn your skin like paint strippers.

Blasting takes forever.
Powder coaters "burn" old coating off because its fast - for them - in a production environment.
Posted By: FASTBACK340

Re: Removing powder coating ? - 01/25/15 01:51 AM

Awesome responses guys, thanks!

I'll try the Permatex stuff first, then get more intense if that fails.
© 2024 Moparts Forums