Moparts

swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are FIXED

Posted By: Andrewh

swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are FIXED - 01/18/15 11:33 PM

UPDATE:
So Feets talked me down and into the 1 inch master.
this got me into researching chevy master cylinders. Apparently they wire them backwards, so my brakes have been wrong this whole time.

I put the lines in like you would a mopar. Rear port to the front brakes but they do front to front.

I found they made a 1 inch for manual brakes and managed to find one in garland.
BUT apparently the aftermarket master I have only used 3/8th ports for the front and back. The factory used 1/2 inch for the front and 9/16th for the rear.
I spent all day searching for an adapter. All the parts stores adapter bins are either empty, misfiled, or just full of junk parts people tossed in them. No inventory control on them at all.

However my luck held out today on so many things, wrecks, speed traps, etc.. that at 8, one of the o'riely's happened to have the adapters I needed.

I just finished putting it back together and I can lock up the brakes if I stand on it. but otherwise normal braking.

so 2 different things using an aftermarket manual to power conversion.
wrong master cylinder size and front port to front brakes makes a huge difference.

I still think I can bolt up a 95 intrepid booster and master to the brackets I have, but as long as this booster holds up I will let it go. I might hunt one down next time I go to the yards, or have feets see if he can find one next time he is in the yards. but it works now.

I had the 10 inch discs from an m-body on the 65 coronet.
feets gave me a set of the 11 inch caliper adapters and I stole the 11 inch discs from him when he sold the hot rod.
so those rotors have been sitting bare on a shelf for several years and at least 6 months or so on my garage floor.

I got a chance today to swap them out. didn't open anything up, just popped the calipers off, swapped the adapters and rotors and then put it back together.

pumped it up till I got a firm pedal again. (had to push a piston back in) and then tried to pull it out of the garage.
had my foot in it standing on the pedal and it wouldn't stop under power. when I put it in neutral it stopped.

I got it on level ground and it won't stop in drive. It will hold in reverse, unless I am on an incline. and of course it stops when I am in neutral.

I tried to drive it with the brakes on a bit, back and forth and it might have helped a little, but hard to tell.

did I miss something? glazed rotors?

I was very careful not to get grease on anything. I changed gloves and everything between setting the bearings in and mounting the rotor. But I will probably spray it down with brake cleaner later just in case.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/18/15 11:47 PM

I did the same swap in my 68 Dart conv with power brakes. Worked fine. Actually couldn't tell much difference at all.
Posted By: 4woody

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/18/15 11:56 PM

Quote:

" didn't open anything up, just popped the calipers off, swapped the adapters and rotors and then put it back together.

pumped it up till I got a firm pedal again."

If you opened the system you got air in it (hence the pump up).

Bleed it and go from there.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/18/15 11:57 PM

Maybe Feets sprayed the rotors with something to keep em from rusting (I've done that). I'd jack the front wheels off the ground & pull the tires/wheels and have a helper work the pedal as you visual both front corners for anything that dont look kosher. Then I'd replace the wheels and spin em (forward) by hand as the helper works the pedal & see what you discover
Posted By: Stanton

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/18/15 11:57 PM

10" to 11"???? Are we talking about the 10.87" rotors to the 11.75" rotors ?

Whatever...

Think of it as a lever and you've just lengthened that lever by about 10%. Braking should have improved "slightly". Since it hasn't, I'd be looking for the cause somewhere else in the system.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 12:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

" didn't open anything up, just popped the calipers off, swapped the adapters and rotors and then put it back together.

pumped it up till I got a firm pedal again."

If you opened the system you got air in it (hence the pump up).

Bleed it and go from there.

ya gotta do a little more than just pump up the peddle when you crack open the lines

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 12:31 AM

Quote:

didn't open anything up, just popped the calipers off, swapped the adapters and rotors and then put it back together.

I didn't think he cracked anything open. EDIT I'd get a rebuilt caliper (they're cheap) & install/bleed it & see if it makes a difference & if so then another one for the other side. Other than that I would bleed the MC/fronts if there is any chance air is in there tho from the descrip there shouldn't be and I'd still do the visual
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 12:44 AM

read it as 'took them off' meaning unhooked everything. probably 'my bad'!

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 12:45 AM

I didn't open anything up. no way is there air in the lines.

these are "new" ish calipers, from when I put in the 10.87's a few years back.

I will take them apart again and see if I put something together wrong. might run some sand paper over the rotors just incase.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 02:01 AM

Replaced the calipers in my B300 with rebuilts (one proper Mopar, one generic) about a year and a half ago, and when the temp falls below -20C (-4F) the generic leaks just sitting there overnight. Fluid runs out and down the tire. Looks like a small critter took a whiz under the tire in the snow.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 02:25 AM

Almost wonder if a caliper is hanging up?

Not sure if you have pin or slider type. But assume slider since that is what an M body would have. The slider type has been known to wear on the adapter and cause a hang up, how did the slider ways look?
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 02:52 AM

no mention of new pads?..old pads with new rotors most likely did not burn to each other..

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 03:18 AM

yeah, the slider type.
They seemed to move freely. I didn't notice any wear on the adapters, or the calipers that would stop them from moving.
it does feel like it has hit some limit though. no matter how much harder I press, it doesn't seem to be stopping any more.

nope, reused the old pads. Didn't really think about it. They really don't have many miles on them.

I did use new bearings though. lol.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 04:31 AM

(1) no air (2) only the L/R front corner assys were changed. (3) same pads (4) I'd brake kleen the pads/calipers (5 grab helper for the pedal (6) visual as he works the pedal (7) compare the old rotor(s) finish to the new rotor(s) finish (tho I dont think that if they are clean) (8) all that is left is a caliper piston travel problem from the retraction (mighta messed up the square seals) but both (L/R corners) appear to be fubared as it ain't pulling to one particular side. unless the retracting messed up both of em. Andrew holler how it turns out

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 06:16 PM

so I pulled it out this morning. It no longer seems to be unable to stop.
it still has a bit of the old problem where it doesn't stop soon enough, or lock up.

I took off the master cylinder to see if the rod had backed down but it was still adjusted.
pedal has more movement without the master bolted up, so no binding there, nor is it the booster.

have never seen it, but can a master be bad and not move farther? or is it only the bleed by, which I have seen in the past?

I will start tearing into the brakes again to see if they are binding up somewhere.

is there a torque spec for the slider bolts? I just cranked down till they stopped.
never been a problem before, but just wanted to make sure.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 07:01 PM

took both sides apart. cleaned them again, took off some of the pad so it was "flat" again, incase it has molded to the old rotors.

with the pads off, and the sliders tighted down, I verfied I could move the calipers without any binding.

They are better, but about the same as the old set.

I think I have some other issue. If a master can give partial braking without moving further, or it could just be as simple as a bad booster again.

I cannot push hard enough to lock up the brakes, or get it to grab harder.
I literally was standing with both feet on the pedal and the car was still moving.
I think this is unrelated to the new rotor swap, as it did this before and I thought this might sort it out. but it didn't.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 07:19 PM

I would get a psi gauge and check your pressures at the calibers.
If your up around 1000+psi, then I would say glazed pads and rotors.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 07:21 PM

How old are your hoses?

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 07:37 PM

anyone know shops that carry that kind of tester? I can't seem to find a parts house that carry's one.

The hoses are about 7 years old. maybe. replaced them with the original disk brake swap.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 07:41 PM

The reason I asked is the hoses can go bad internally and not show any signs of leaks.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 07:48 PM

web page

web page

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 08:01 PM

I am at a loss. I doubt it is lines since it tracks straight.

I can be moving at 30 mph and stand on it, and it doesn't pull either way.

I have to believe it is the booster.

but since this is lack of power, it is harder to "prove" without that gauge.

And thanks for the web pages. I did find a few online. I was just hoping some national parts chain might carry them so I don't have to wait till next week to figure this out.

but it looks like an online order is at hand. I found one for about that same price with several adapters, so I might go that route.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 10:17 PM

Quote:

I think I have some other issue. If a master
I think this is unrelated to the new rotor swap, as it did this before and I thought this might sort it out. but it didn't.

Ahhh the plot thickens, so this (issue) has reared its ugly head before (on occaision). That definitely takes the front brake adapter/rotor swap out of the equation. I bet a dollar that it is booster/check valve related

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 11:15 PM

well yesterday it was crazy bad.
today it is just regular bad.

when I had it inspected last year the guy mentioned that it didn't stop soon enough.
I just figured, heavy car, and all.
I had noticed when I first start out in the car sometimes, but just attributed it to poor vacuum build up after it had been sitting a while.
but I am guessing the booster is going.
wish there was an easier test than getting that test kit. it is about half the price of a new booster.
if I decide to keep going this route.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/19/15 11:25 PM

Quote:

well yesterday it was crazy bad.
today it is just regular bad.

when I had it inspected last year the guy mentioned that it didn't stop soon enough.
I just figured, heavy car, and all.
I had noticed when I first start out in the car sometimes, but just attributed it to poor vacuum build up after it had been sitting a while.
but I am guessing the booster is going.
wish there was an easier test than getting that test kit. it is about half the price of a new booster.
if I decide to keep going this route.

I got a rebuilt booster from Rock Auto for my 74 challenger about 4 years ago. I replaced my perfectly working one because it was leaking vacuum inside causing my car to small backfire on decell. And messing with my idle. First noticed it coming down Pikes Peak in first gear, might have been when it let go inside? It was still providing proper brake boost. Just small embarrassing pops out the exhaust. No it was not a exhaust leak.

So the rock auto one sucked from the beginning, only giving me about 3/4 assist but no more vacuum leak or backfires. I checked the rod length and keep driving it. It get's worse the more I drive the car. A year+ later I have just about zero assist from the POS booster.

I took a 35+ year old one off my parts shelf and bolt it. It works like a new one, brakes are back to 100%. Have been now for 3 years.

I never called or complained to rock auto, it was well over a year in use but it was a pos from the first day I got it.
I figured getting "fresh" rebuilt would be smarter than a used one when I called Rock auto because my local Car Quest could not get it anymore for me, wrong again.
My
Posted By: poorboy

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 07:04 AM

Two things you seem to be concerned about. 1) you believe the booster is interfering with travel.
2) you believe there may be a master cylinder issue.

To test #1, unbolt the master cylinder from the booster and step on the pedal to see if the pedal will travel all the way to the floor. If the pedal does not reach the floor, your issue is in the booster/pedal assembly. The vacuum assist of the booster is only an assist, meaning there should still be a mechanical connection and you should be able to overpower a defective booster with pressure on the brake pedal. Without a master bolted to the booster, the pedal should push to the floor fairly easily and smoothly. Get an assistant and measure the amount of travel the rod in the booster travels from pedal completely up, to pedal completely on the floor. If the pedal and booster operate correctly, reattach the master, and move on.
2) Now you have to determine if the master cylinder is the cause of your issue. With the master reattached to the booster. Loosen both brake line connections and see if the pedal will still go all the way to the floor. If it does, the issue probably in not in the master. It is possible the master plunger is not completely returning all the way to the back stop of the master cylinder, upon brake pedal release and it is not refilling with enough fluid to reactivate the brakes. If you tighten the lines you loosened for this test while the pedal is still down, you will not pull any air into the system. Once the lines are tight, you can remove the master from the booster to see if the plunger has returned fully to the back stop. I've seen corrosion build up inside the master that will not allow the plunger to return to the back stop and that can cause an intermittent poor brake function. Sometimes the rod between the booster and the master is too long. That will also cause the plunger to not return all the way to the back stop and cause poor brake conditions. If the rod is too short, it will not allow the master cylinder plunger to push enough fluid out of the master to reach full brake pressure (that could cause the pedal to stop before the pedal reaches the floor.) If you suspect the rod may be too long, you can add a couple washers on each stud between the booster and the master and see of that makes a difference in brake quality. If adding the washers does not make an improvement, remove them. The rod between the booster and the master is adjustable, adjust the length in or out 1/4 turn at a time (a little makes a huge difference). If the pedal reaches the floor with the brake lines on the master loosened, and the master's plunger is returning to the back stop, the master is not the problem, and we move on to the proportioning valve.

For a few years, the proportioning valve actually would block off fluid flow to one side of the valve or the other in the event of a line failure. Unfortunately, it would also do the same thing while bleeding the fluid if the bleeding process wasn't done easily. The process to recenter a shifted proportioning valve is not difficult, but requires a gentle touch. To test the valve, loosen either the fitting for the rear brakes, or the fitting for one of the front brakes, and step on the pedal and watch the fluid flow. Tighten the line, and loosen the other line (one line towards the front, and one line towards the rear) and step on the pedal and watch the fluid flow. If either the front or the rear line has little or no fluid flow, the proportioning valve has shifted towards the side with little on no fluid flow. To recenter the proportioning valve, you have to open the side with the fluid flow, and bleed off the fluid until you hear the pop or snap inside the valve, and immediately close off the line, and release pressure. Gently stepping on the pedal should leave the valve centered, and the brakes should be much better.

You have been messing with these brakes too long. Start at the beginning, and work through the process to this point and lets see what you have. Gene

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 03:28 PM

poorboy thanks.
I had not thought about cracking lines open for the master cylinder check.

I did disconnect the master from the booster and verified full motion on the booster.
I am still concerned about lack of assist, but will check the master first now. But with the number of failed univeral boosters, I am not ruling it out just yet even if the master has some issue.

no proportioning valve on this car. was a single pot master, and all I did was run dual lines. (I know, I know, I should add one, just never got around to it).
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 04:42 PM

I think you're running out of piston travel in the MC.
What kind of MC do you have now?

Check the booster by pulling off the vacuumhose, and see if the pedaleffort stays the same.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 05:12 PM

it is a 70's corvette master.
all the kits at the time only came with those.
I see some of the newer ones do mopar masters, but eh. power brakes is power brakes.

pedal effort is worse without vacuum, but pedal travel seems to be the same. I can't move it any further.

when I get a chance, I will try cracking a bleeder and see if it moves further or not.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 05:59 PM

I know you said no hydraulic lines were removed, but, to me, the system sure sounds airbound.

Here's and abbreviated procedure, as to how I confirm (or not) in minutes: Plug both master cyl outlet ports. Pedal should be rock hard (or close, with power booster). Not? Bleed master. (Can remain mounted, just slam on some c-shaped tubes).

OK now? Reconnect front fitting (to rear brakes). Still firm? Great. Not, trouble's out back, bleed, excess shoe travel, etc.)

Repeat with rear tube (for front brakes) connected.

The whole process can be done in a few minutes, and, if nothing else, localizes the problem area.

Rick

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 06:06 PM

air in the lines to me would be a mushy pedal, or no pedal at all.
I have a rock hard pedal. I cannot push it past a certain point.
I have verified with the master removed from the booster, I can move it past that point.

now I have to see if opening a bleeder will let me move it past that point.

if not I guess bad master.
if it does, then I am still not sure where to look, but at least I know it isn't the 2 of those items lol.

I checked both calipers move freely. not sure where else it could be bound up. but I will get there once I eliminate the master.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 06:25 PM

Quote:

I took off the master cylinder to see if the rod had backed down but it was still adjusted.
pedal has more movement without the master bolted up, so no binding there, nor is it the booster.

It almost sounds like there isn't enough travel left in the master. Is it possible there is too much preload? Fully retracted the master piston should be very close to the mounting surface (bottomed against the c-clip). Mounting it to the booster should not compress the piston.

Likewise, is the booster fully retracted when the pedal is at its uppermost point?
Posted By: DGS

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 06:52 PM

Had the same problem with my old Toyota Landcruiser. Turned out to be the master cylinder seals (internal piston seals). Only some fluid was pushed down the lines as the brake fluid could circulate to some extend between the two chambers when the brake pedal was applied. New master cylinder solved the problem.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 07:19 PM

Stanton- I verified the adjustment was correct. you can look into the master to see that there is no piston movement in the master as I pushed it onto the booster.
as for fully retracted, I guess I didn't check that, but my brake light switch is a stop and it doesn't go out further than that. and my brake lights are not on, so it must be coming up to them.

DSG-I had wondered if there was another failure mode for a master cylinder. I have only experienced the fluid bleed by the piston, where you have no pedal. or it slowly falls.
Posted By: roe

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 08:21 PM

Are you sure that the booster is good? Ive had a booster go bad and it was rock hard pedal. Bad master gave me really mushy pedal. Just because booster is new doesnt mean its good. On my moms Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme went through about 6 bad masters right out the box before I got a good one. Similar deal once with an alternator as well.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/20/15 09:32 PM

no, I am not sure if the booster is good or not.
it is providing some assist, just not sure how much.
but I figured even if the booster wasn't working well. standing on the pedal, and I mean grabbing the steering wheel pulling myself out of the seat, both feet on the pedal would have locked it up, but it felt like I wasn't moving it any more at all.

so I want to check the master next by cracking a bleeder valve and see if it changes the pedal push distance. I will go from there to see what to do next.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/21/15 03:26 PM

I had the same issue, to a lesser essent, in a car of mine.
Turned out the MC just didn't have enough stroke for the pedalratio in the car. It just felt like the pedal itself was bottomout on something, while you know there should be some more stroke in it.
Swapped in a random MC and the problem pretty much went away. Only need to fine tune the MC's piston diameter for best brake-performance now.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/21/15 05:31 PM

Andrew we need closure!

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/21/15 05:59 PM

lol, you are going to need to have some patients then. I will tinker with it again this weekend.
I am looking into the 70's corvette booster now too. see if it will bolt up to the aftermarket bracket.
kill 2 birds as it were.
better booster with a lifetime warranty from a national chain, instead of these flyby night chinese boosters.
depends on what the master cylinder test shows. don't just want to throw parts at this.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/21/15 06:42 PM

Quote:

depends on what the master cylinder test shows. don't just want to throw parts at this.

understood
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 02:31 AM

Quote:

no proportioning valve on this car. was a single pot master, and all I did was run dual lines. (I know, I know, I should add one, just never got around to it).

Well there's your problem! You need a proportioning valve for a disc/drum system to work properly. Without one (and a dual circuit master) all you're doing is *ahem* pushing rope.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 03:59 AM

the rears never locked up.
and I was going to switch to disc in the back too. got the kit, but waiting on a sure grip before I rip the rear apart for the kit.

so I figured I could wait and see if I needed it after that.
plus I have one from a 68 sitting in the garage, but the mix of chevy master cylinder and such seemed to screw me up, so I would need new lines. it just kept snowballing, so I never got around to it.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 07:36 AM

The rears not locking up is irrelevant. Dissimilar brake systems require a proportioning valve as disc brakes need higher pressure to function than drum brakes.

That's why I used the 'pushing rope' analogy - your trying to move something that requires 1000 lbs. of force with only 1 lb of pressure. It simply won't work.

A Proportioning valve and proper Dual Circuit master cylinder will give your car brakes.

You could always get an adjustable proportioning valve. That way, you can adjust it now for your disc/drum combo, but then later when you go four-wheel disc, have the added luxury of being able to adjust your front/rear brake bias.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 03:22 PM

perhaps I don't understand what a proportioning valve is supposed to do.
are you saying bad front brakes are because I don't have one?

my understanding is that all it does is limit the force applied to the rear's over the fronts. AND it has that block off if I lose one circuit.
it doesn't bleed pressure over from one circuit to the other. Would defeat the purpose of having a dual circuit system.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 04:54 PM

No prop valve ... here's how I see it ...

You apply the brakes, the rear cylinders fill and subsequently the m/c won't travel any further. Meanwhile the fronts haven't got enough fluid in them to do squat.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 05:53 PM

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/proportioning-valves

this article says, it isn't doing that. it just helps prevent rear lockup's or over bias.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 07:13 PM

Quote:

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/proportioning-valves

this article says, it isn't doing that. it just helps prevent rear lockup's or over bias.

Too many people without a clue about how a disc/drum brake system works give poor advice.

The factory combination valve incorporates the functions in your link and more. Lack of a combo valve will not keep your discs from working. You could plumb the M/C direct to the front and rear brakes and they would work after a fashion. But they would not work properly do to the inherent differences in how drums and discs operate. The rears would tend to lock up first.

If you have a FSM from the drum/disc pre-ABS era there is a pretty good write up in there on how they work and why.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 09:26 PM

Just to add to the confusion, i had a car i put one of those booster/corvette master cylinder kits on, with a combo valve, and the brakes still sucked. Throwing the master/booster in the trash and installing good parts solved my problem. In my case, the master didn't have enough travel. Loosen the lines and see if the pedal will go to the floor. I'm betting it won't. Gene

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 10:41 PM

Quote:

No prop valve ... here's how I see it ...

You apply the brakes, the rear cylinders fill and subsequently the m/c won't travel any further. Meanwhile the fronts haven't got enough fluid in them to do squat.

I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what's going on. With no proportioning valve, front/rear pressure is equal, but the discs require much higher pressures to operate correctly.

He's probably getting some brake action, but not enough to do squat.

To figure exactly what's going on, I'd need to actually crunch some numbers. I'd need cylinder diameters, caliper piston sizes, master cylinder size.... the numbers wouldn't lie.

He could also have a grossly undersized master. I must've missed the part where he said he had an aftermarket master.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/22/15 11:47 PM

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what's going on. With no proportioning valve, front/rear pressure is equal, but the discs require much higher pressures to operate correctly.

Don't bet alot on it. The pressure differential is handled by the diameter of the piston in the caliper and the diameter of the wheel cylinder piston.

Do the math

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/pressure.htm

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/23/15 02:26 AM

If I understand the OP, there are no valves of any sort in his system, the front m/c line feeds the front brakes, the rear feeds the rear. The rear cylinders are smaller and fill before the fronts. With nowhere for more fluid to go, the master can no longer move and subsequently the fronts get no more pressure.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/23/15 02:30 AM

corvette 1974 master cylinder.
stock 10 inch drum rear's for a 65 coronet
stock mbody calipers up front.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/23/15 03:04 AM

Quote:

If I understand the OP, there are no valves of any sort in his system, the front m/c line feeds the front brakes, the rear feeds the rear. The rear cylinders are smaller and fill before the fronts. With nowhere for more fluid to go, the master can no longer move and subsequently the fronts get no more pressure.

Please stop, you have no idea how hydraulics work.
Posted By: skicker

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/23/15 04:15 AM

Whats to say the pedal ratio is correct for the GM master cylinder? I know from building my own set-up years ago to put the master cylinder behind and under the floor that ratio was a huge driving factor in the performance.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/23/15 12:18 PM

I beiee some here are unsure how a dual circuit master cylinder works. They are under the impression that both pistons are connected to the pushrod. Only one piston is actually connected to the pushrod,the other is activated by hydraulic pressure and is free floating in the bore. The only time the pistons actually contact each other is when there is a failure of one circuit(pimar circuit, closest to the pushrod). This allowed the hydraulic cushion between pistons to fail and they then stack solid
Posted By: feets

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/24/15 03:31 AM

Quote:

corvette 1974 master cylinder.
stock 10 inch drum rear's for a 65 coronet
stock mbody calipers up front.

Andy, why didn't you tell me about it when we were on the phone this week?

What size is that MC? 1" or 1.125"? I bet it's the 1.125" power MC.

If the bore is the wrong size for the calipers you will never get the car to stop.

Grab my brake math spreadsheet and run the numbers.

When I had the big MC and the slider calipers I could have both feet on the pedal, my butt out of the seat, and still not be able to stop the car.

It magically fell in line when I put the AMG brakes on the car. The MC was perfectly sized for those calipers.

I bet the proper sized MC would make the problem go away. Those calipers were likely paired with a 1.031" master cylinder.

If I have the MC sizes correct you are down 16% on your brake pressure.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/24/15 05:03 AM

says it is
1-1/8" Bore Dual Reservoir Master Cylinder

problem is this is a gm master cylinder. not sure on the interchange to get a 1 inch bore.
searches show some aftermarket stuff that might work. but I want to steer clear of that if I can.

I decided to pick up the corvette booster and master combo from autozone. So I don't have to go out again, if I find it is the problem.
if it isn't I will just return it instead.

I would really like to find a more "factory" solution but not sure it is out there with how cobbled together this is.

I did mention it the other day, just got around to playing with it last weekend.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/24/15 07:11 AM

If you have room for a Volare booster and master cylinder, I'm betting your brakes will be much better.

If you used a pedal assembly from the same company you got the booster/master from, your pedal ratio is no where near correct either. That company sells a lot of junk under several names. Someday it will catch up with them. Gene

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are worse. - 01/24/15 06:22 PM

so to the person that guessed no pedal left. you win.

I cracked open the bleeder screws and it still didn't go down any further than if they were closed.
I know the pedal and booster have more movement because I disconnected the master and I can put the pedal to the floor.

looking at the corvette booster and master combo, there is no way to make that work with this bracket setup. the rod on the back of the booster is too long. it would be engaging the booster when I bolted it up.

not sure if replace just the master is the answer. maybe as someone above said, internal bleed by so it isn't giving enough force, and that might solve it.

going to a smaller bore doesn't seem to be a good idea, if I am maxed out on distance already.

the volare one is too big in diameter.

I did find that the a body ones are 7 inch boosters and would bolt in, but not sure about braking force.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are FIXED - 01/25/15 06:26 AM

just finished. update in the original post.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are FIXED - 01/25/15 04:07 PM

Just my usual 2¢ worth...

The pressure at both ports on any non-stepped bore master cylinder should be virtually identical (assuming no external leakage), except for the instant of pedal application...more in a moment.

One reservoir is always larger on disc/drum masters. The large-reservoir end must be plumbed to the the disc "end" of the car (read: front). This is because discs have no adjusters, the piston slowly moves out as the pads wear, taking the fluid level down with it.

Under normal operation (again, no leaks), the secondary piston the the master "floats" and is applied (moved) via pressure created by the front end of the primary piston. This means that the primary side of the master will have full pressure a few milliseconds before the secondary. Plumbing the primary outlet to the fronts, as on Mopars, will tend to reduce poor-road-friction rear wheel lockup, and partially compensate for the extreme "grabbiness" (self-energizing servo action) of our Bendix rear drums.

Thanks for allowing my drivel...

Rick

Attached picture 8407300-master-cyl-disc-iron.jpg
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are FIXED - 01/25/15 06:39 PM

Just another good reason to stay away from non Mopar parts. These conversions aren't hard at all, and work when factory Mopar parts are used.

Re: swapped the 11 inch discs in and now brakes are FIXED - 01/25/15 07:14 PM

while it is true "factory" mopar parts are way more expensive.
just finding a booster alone would have been more than this whole kit.
even after "fixing" it I am still up compared to a mopar swap.

it is funny, for 60's mustang's and 60's chevy's you can find a bendix dual diphram booster for around 100 bucks. for a mopar it is minimum 200 for a knock off. 350 for a real one IF you can find one.

even modern mopars, are about 50 dollars more than the equivalent non mopar modern booster.
I did a search on every booster autozone sells and you can see the crazy disparity.
even a volvo booster, which has to have fairly low volume was cheaper than the intrepid booster.

so yeah, would I have liked to use mopar parts. sure. but for double the money? not really that big a deal to me as long as it works.
© 2024 Moparts Forums