Moparts

Engine Stand

Posted By: 6PakBee

Engine Stand - 12/20/14 05:40 PM

I've had it with my el-cheapo engine stand. Any reasonable force like torquing head bolts or mains and the thing wobbles to the point I'm afraid something is going to break. I'm going to start on my first Hemi next year and I'd rather it not end up on the floor. I'd like to get a good 2000# version for around $1000 but I can't find one. They seem to go from the cheap 2000# versions for a couple hundred bucks to the 3000# diesel stands that are four thousand bucks. I could make one but I really don't want to take the time. Anybody know of somebody that sells a quality 2000# stand in that price range?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 05:51 PM

I have an old Lakewood that has been reinforced that works well with a big block .
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 05:55 PM

One thing that helps is to use a steel plate to hold the engine rather than the flimsy arms that most stands come with.

Attached picture 8368197-DSC_8758(Large).JPG
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 05:56 PM

For a few bucks, couldn't you add some reinforcement / improvements to yours?

This one looks beefy:

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 05:56 PM

Or go to the next step and replace the entire head of the engine stand with a custom built head which is more rigid. This is what I did to build a big block stand.

Attached picture 8368200-stand.jpg
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 05:57 PM

OTC makes good stands. We have this one at work and use it on smaller diesel engines. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-1726a?seid=srese1&gclid=CJ_5k9H91MICFS0Q7AodNCUAKw I used it on my big block and it handled it no problem.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 06:07 PM

Quote:

I'd like to get a good 2000# version for around $1000 but I can't find one.

just me, no way I'd want that kind of money in a stand. Definitely get one with 4 legs (wheels)

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 07:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

just me, no way I'd want that kind of money in a stand. Definitely get one with 4 legs (wheels)

I don't understand your comment.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 08:36 PM

If I needed a one, I think I would consider this one from Summit just as long as you are short. Most new stands I see are short, I'm 6'3 tall, what are they thinking? It looks sturdy and the geared head is a plus at a cheap price, imo.
web page
Then the only reason I say summit is because they have many choices and provide pretty good delivery service.

web page

My homemade stand, it has held International MV404 and 392 gasoline fueled truck engines which are heavier than the heaviest big block. And I have hung many engines with grade 5 all thread rod, 3/8" and 7/16" all thread rod. Not just SBs but huge BAE hemis and cast iron truck engines with all thread rod. That way I'm sure I'm screwed into the block the max and there's no block thread damage. Grade 8 bolts are not needed and bolts are bad for this application. I have repainted this engine stand 3 times since 78 when I got it.

20 years ago I'd be all over you to build your own and have it for life like mine. But now you really can't afford to build your own. This one was built in a hi school welding class at diamond oaks in 78.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 08:41 PM

Quote:

One thing that helps is to use a steel plate to hold the engine rather than the flimsy arms that most stands come with.

BEST IDEA ive seen yet !!!
Posted By: srt

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 09:33 PM

I can not think of a better stand than the Stroppini that I bought in the 80's. The thing is stout, stable and has a fairly small foot-print.
Heres a pic from online (not my stand and pic is the older 3 wheel version). My stand and all? are now made with a front cross-tube with 2 wheels in front to make it very stable. I've had some very heavy motors on it and have no problem with stability. Also the plate and arms are adjustable so as to be able to center the load making it pretty easy to rotate.
edit--> The vertical and horizontal tube are one piece made with a bend, ne new versions don't have the big plate covering the bend, rather it's a bolted connection.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 09:50 PM

Here's my oldie but sturdy. Use it for years and it's being used to strip a big block right now. Don't know what brand it is.

Attached picture 8368405-enginestand002.JPG
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 09:57 PM

I stopped using 3 legged stands after dumping an engine in the driveway when it hit a small rut.

Re: Engine Stand - 12/20/14 11:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand your comment.

1k would be way more than I would want to have invested in an eng stand. I have a NAPA one (dont remember the new price maybe several hundred) with 4 legs (wheels) & it works good on the SB/BB's I have done. I Like Andys' idea of adding the flat plate
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 12:11 AM

Wow !! Send me the $ 1000. and I'll ship you my stand.

Seriously, that's way too nuch to have tied up in an engine stand - even one that will hold a complete iron hemi.

But if you really want to, my offer stands !

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 12:40 AM

Quote:

Wow !! Send me the $ 1000. and I'll ship you my stand.

Seriously, that's way too nuch to have tied up in an engine stand - even one that will hold a complete iron hemi.

But if you really want to, my offer stands !

If you have a QUALITY 2000# stand, send me a picture, I'll consider it. If you have one of the 2000# Harbor Freight units (or something similar, or God forbid of less capacity).....I already have that quality level.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 01:30 AM

One thing to think about, a Hemi is so top heavy, I wish I had got one with the gear crank mechanism, my whole Hemi is aluminum and I almost couldn't get it turned back right side up.

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 02:34 AM

A decent rotator can be made from a air brake slack adjuster. thus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJKwFE_NvE
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 03:23 AM

Too bad your not closer.
I would sell you mine.
I bought this one from NAPA when i had 3 hemi engines in a storage locker.
Never used it, as i sold all the engines.

Attached picture 8368648-EngineStandNAPA.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 05:40 AM

Quote:

Too bad your not closer.
I would sell you mine.
I bought this one from NAPA when i had 3 hemi engines in a storage locker.
Never used it, as i sold all the engines.

I have one like this , Sunnex version , I'm going to have to make something like Andy F showed before I put a megablock with new MP iron heads on it , I don't really trust it with all that weight .

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 05:47 AM

A "good" engine stand will allow you to position the engine so its balanced and NOT top heavy !!!

Harbor Freight ... mine was built long before they were around ... when things were still made in North America !!!!

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 06:19 AM

What Stanton said, add a plate like Andys and mount the eng lower so it ain't so top heavy which they tend to be
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 02:39 PM

I just bought one of these for a all iron street hemi.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80059/100...CFetDMgodZm0Arw

I changed out all the bolts and zapped a couple of welds to eliminate the folding feature.

It is the same Sunnex stand alot of others re-label and sell for more money.

Has a little slop in the head but it is working just fine so far - The tubing was way thicker on my old harbor freight stand but you just couldn't rotate it with 1 person
Posted By: ahy

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 03:06 PM

I got a WW Grainger stand like the one below after a controlled test of a cheapie... After pulling the full dressed 318 I bolted it up to the stand and slowly lowered the hoist... it just kept going down and down as the cheapie folded.

The Grainger stand handled a full dressed BB without issue or distress. Also a longer full dressed six from a 1947 PW. The "H" base is not quite as handy as a "T" but very stable.

http://www.grainger.com/product/WESTWARD..._AS01?$smthumb$

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! After reading all of the posts I've come to the conclusion that what I want doesn't exist. I think that what I'm going to do is buy a quality 1250# or 1500# version and then add some additional material to strengthen it. I would assume that the stand would fail in three ways: 1) the connection at the vertical section to the base would twist and fail, 2) the legs would fail in bending, 3) the base at the connection to the vertical section would fail by bending. I'll add material to address these and hopefully be good to go.
Posted By: skicker

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 05:50 PM

I think something that may get missed here is that there is no "one setting" for an engine on the stand.
If your assembling the short block and want it to rotate easily the weight needs to be close to the center line of the pivot.
Once that's complete and you want to assemble the long block and rotate it freely the short block needs to be lowered on the mount to accommodate the weight added higher.
A complete engine will rotate easier if if is positioned correctly on the stand.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 05:55 PM

Ya'll can bust all you want on Harbour Frieght stands but all I can tell you is I have a few, 2 of which are holding BB and have been for a year or so in my shop with no issues. And if memory serves I caught the on a supper sale and gottem for less than a hundred each. I had an all aluminum Hemi on one for awhile and it didn't really seem to stress it but I cant say that I have had an iron Hemi on one. If I was looking for another I would buy these in a heart beat. If I had concerns about stability at that point I might build a jack stand to meet the balancer as a precaution. The plate mentioned above seems like a great idea as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-foldable-engine-stand-69521.html

Re: Engine Stand - 12/21/14 06:19 PM

Before you pull the trigger, do consider calling Stroppini and see what they have available.
I've had full dressed big blocks on mine without the hint of instability. I think they have what you are looking for.
The one I have is stout and never hinted at bending. It's usa made and highly respected equipment.
Posted By: WarEagle1

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 05:40 PM

Here's a Harbor Freight 4-wheeler holding my Gen II Hemi with the heavy MP block. Aluminum heads though. No problems with the stand and have used with all iron 440 as well. You do have to "man-up" to rotate it from inverted to upright (had my son to help me).
I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight chinese crap, but worked OK in this case.

Attached picture 8371356-IMG_6785.JPG
Posted By: BMChrysler68

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 05:49 PM

Hot Rod did at test of HF stands and found that they would hold beyond the listed capcity. They ended up pushing down on the 750# (I think, it was a while back) stand with a fork lift to get it to bend.

Like others have said, I think the weak point is having the adjustable arms to accommodate different bolt paterns. A plate or fabbed head would probably be the way to go regardless of the stand.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 05:53 PM

Quote:

I think something that may get missed here is that there is no "one setting" for an engine on the stand.
If your assembling the short block and want it to rotate easily the weight needs to be close to the center line of the pivot.
Once that's complete and you want to assemble the long block and rotate it freely the short block needs to be lowered on the mount to accommodate the weight added higher.
A complete engine will rotate easier if if is positioned correctly on the stand.

I have never seen the need to spin a engine around with the heads on. Why?

Assemble the short block including the oil pan, then bolt on the heads and the rest.

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 06:13 PM

I always put the pan on last - just in case I drop something in the motor !!

That said, I've never seen the need to re-adjust the position of the block - hell, a short block isn't THAT hard to spin. I mount the block with the cam tunnel as close to the pivot centerline as possible. The bottom end will be heavier till the top end goes on, then its a pretty good balance.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 06:22 PM

Quote:

I always put the pan on last - just in case I drop something in the motor !!

That said, I've never seen the need to re-adjust the position of the block - hell, a short block isn't THAT hard to spin. I mount the block with the cam tunnel as close to the pivot centerline as possible. The bottom end will be heavier till the top end goes on, then its a pretty good balance.

Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 07:07 PM

Quote:

Here's a Harbor Freight 4-wheeler holding my Gen II Hemi with the heavy MP block. Aluminum heads though. No problems with the stand and have used with all iron 440 as well. You do have to "man-up" to rotate it from inverted to upright (had my son to help me).
I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight chinese crap, but worked OK in this case.

Two things, those narrow foot print stands make me nervous. They might topple over. Also, grease the head so it'll rotate easier.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Engine Stand - 12/23/14 09:15 PM

Quote:

I've had it with my el-cheapo engine stand. Any reasonable force like torquing head bolts or mains and the thing wobbles to the point I'm afraid something is going to break. I'm going to start on my first Hemi next year and I'd rather it not end up on the floor. I'd like to get a good 2000# version for around $1000 but I can't find one. They seem to go from the cheap 2000# versions for a couple hundred bucks to the 3000# diesel stands that are four thousand bucks. I could make one but I really don't want to take the time. Anybody know of somebody that sells a quality 2000# stand in that price range?

Ive had one of these for 15 years and its seen a lot of use.all I did was put bigger wheels on it to raise it up and make it easy to roll.igot mine at Northern Tool with the heavy duty folding cherry picker for 199.00 for the pair on sale
Posted By: BrianT

Re: Engine Stand - 12/24/14 04:14 PM

I bought this homemade one off of Craigslist for $75. I haven't had my engine on it yet, but it seems pretty well built.

Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Engine Stand - 12/24/14 05:00 PM

Quote:

I stopped using 3 legged stands after dumping an engine in the driveway when it hit a small rut.

Can we have an AMEN! on that...been there done that with a 400 out of an old Polara, lucky no one lost any toes or feet, hit a piece of gravel with the front wheel rolling it into the garage and folded that 3 legged piece or "stuff" right under. I still have one of the cheap things in the back corner of the shop with a complete motor home 400 sitting on it, it has probably sagged 6", I take a wide path around it, when I build my next stroker it will come off and I'll build braces and plates for it. I currently have 5 engines on stands in the shop and all but 2 are of the four legged versions, never have had a problem with the 4 leggers and a complete BB, I too do not rotate the engine after the heads are installed. Never built a HEMI so no experience with that weight.

Re: Engine Stand - 12/24/14 07:15 PM

I upgraded from the steel plate to a billet plate last year. Works the same but looks a lot nicer and is easier to use. I made one for both SB and BB engines.

Attached picture 8372461-engineplate.JPG
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Engine Stand - 12/24/14 08:55 PM

Anybody remember who, in the sixties, built the original engine stand with the patented universal head?

Re: Engine Stand - 12/24/14 09:39 PM

Lakewood ??
© 2024 Moparts Forums