Moparts

SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs...

Posted By: WyleECoyote

SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/20/14 05:11 PM

I installed new leaf springs and as you can surmise by the Subject Line - I'm experiencing squeaky noises. Bumps, backing, turning, etc...

To drowned out the leaf spring squeaky noises, I've thought of putting two styrofoam coolers in the back seat and let them rub together - at least I KNOW how to fix THAT noise.

Any suggestions on how to fix?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/20/14 06:01 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions on how to fix?

www.speedwaymotors.com (a mile from me) has plastic? interliners that would likely stop that. I have not used em but if I had that issue that would be my first plan of attack. As you know clamp the springs out aways from the center bolt with (2) C clamps then unbolt the nut on the special center bolt then undo the clamps evenly. I use a nut cracker on the nut cuz I dont want to snap the bolt as it is special but yours are new springs. Maybe just spraying some WD40 would do it (not sure how long) but it'd sure be way easier than dissassembling
Posted By: TJP

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/20/14 06:09 PM

Did you by chance use urethane bushings??? If so they need a special lube. if not The only other thing I can think of would be to loosen and retighten the bushings while the suspension is loaded
Posted By: BDW

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/20/14 07:01 PM

Did you change the hangers too?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/20/14 07:44 PM

Quote:

Did you change the hangers too?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

No, I did not change the hangers. This is on my 72 Imperial. I bought new springs from Spring's N' Things - and just swapped them out. THANKS for the link! I'll get up under there and check for any fresh metal-to-metal marks.

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/20/14 07:49 PM

Quote:

Did you by chance use urethane bushings??? If so they need a special lube. if not The only other thing I can think of would be to loosen and retighten the bushings while the suspension is loaded

I'll try this as well - loosen and retighten with a load. I did this on jack stands so there wasn't a load during assembly. Thanks!
Posted By: TJP

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/21/14 02:12 AM

I've bought at least 50+ pairs of springs from them and NEVER had an issue PERIOD, HMM, keep us posted
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/21/14 05:59 AM

I think on mind I sprayed around under there with some silicon lube.
Posted By: ahy

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/21/14 02:23 PM

Besides the bushings, excess U bolt torque can cause squeaks. Had that problem myself after assembling MP XHD springs.

Required torque is pretty low, 45 ft lb from memory. Too much will bind up the spring and case squeaks. Loosen and re-torque fixed mine.

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/21/14 04:11 PM

Quote:

Besides the bushings, excess U bolt torque can cause squeaks. Had that problem myself after assembling MP XHD springs.

Required torque is pretty low, 45 ft lb from memory. Too much will bind up the spring and case squeaks. Loosen and re-torque fixed mine.

Thanks AHY - I had no idea. And coincidently, the guys around the garage call me "Ted Torque" because I'm always pushing that ratchet like nobodies business when I'm tightening things up. This could very easily be a contributing factor to my squeaking! Thanks!
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/21/14 09:15 PM

The MP chassis book refers to a "boom" sound if overtorqued...But at the other end of the equasion I've found that just torquing the U bolts one time led to a "boom" of it's own..The rear housing and the leafspring separating under the launch...Now I retorque them a few times after some miles on the vehicle... Just like a wheel...

The squeak is a tough one could be dry bushings as stated or the leaf interliners wearing in..Spray them if it gets too annoying..
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 12/22/14 01:26 AM

Speaking of the Mopar leaf springs, I have some of the OE plastic tip pads (with the shorty barrel clips), as well as some of the leaf spring bands with clear zinc finish. I used to supply & produce these bands to Year One for years - just quit doing these for them about a year ago. PM me if you need any of these parts.

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 02/01/20 01:51 AM

I started driving the car again; ha ha! A little 5 year pause.
Still squeaking! Anyone learn anything since then??
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 02/01/20 02:07 AM

Jack the car up ... separate the leaves and inject between them with some grease
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 02/01/20 02:37 AM

JB80
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 02/01/20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
JB80

Someone else that uses JB80 penetrating spray. I have been using JB80 in my shop for over 20 years. Best stuff that I have found for rusted bolts, rusted bleeders, anything rusted fast, squeaky and sticking parts. Not cheap , but it works great.
Posted By: burdar

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 02/01/20 03:09 PM

Maybe disconnect the shocks and bounce the car. Make sure it's the springs and not the shocks.

I assume you loosened up the shackles and tightened them back up with the car on the ground? You always tighten those with the car on the ground so the bushing is in a neutral position with the car at rest.
Posted By: BDW

Re: SQUEAK.SQUEAK.SQUEAK. New Leaf Springs... - 02/01/20 05:09 PM

My bet is it’s metal on metal contact.
Remove the springs and you’ll see the witness marks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums