Moparts

VIN body numbers

Posted By: 7812845

VIN body numbers - 12/18/14 08:34 PM

Is it possible that the factory didn't put the vin numbers on the trunk drip rail and radiator support? My 69 bee is in the body shop right now, sanded down (mostly) to bare metal and I'm not finding the vin numbers in those places. Anyone ever had this problem?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/18/14 09:35 PM

Quote:

Is it possible that the factory didn't put the vin numbers on the trunk drip rail and radiator support? My 69 bee is in the body shop right now, sanded down (mostly) to bare metal and I'm not finding the vin numbers in those places. Anyone ever had this problem?

Only if was sold as a "body in white" to some racer I'm not sure exactly which year mopar started selling bodys in white for racing Good luck, BTW ,I learned long ago to never say never when it comes to things the car factory did back in the day
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 01:44 AM

I have seen a few cars missing body #s front and or back but never both.but i haven't seen all cars.what plant?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 01:49 AM

I have a front clip off of a 68 Dart GT that has no numbers on it and it is definitely factory. Though 68's did not have VIN numbers on the body they did have the SO numbers, so they should have been on there. Don't forget, this is Chrysler so anything is possible!

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 02:18 AM

Quote:

I have seen a few cars missing body #s front and or back but never both.but i haven't seen all cars.what plant?

It is a St. Louis car, and fortunately it does have the fender tag and now that it is in the body shop, mostly sanded down to bare metal, it's plain to see that it is all original, body wise. I did find the part number on the driver's side trunk drip rail, but not a vin number.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 02:27 AM

Make sure to check both the front and the top of the core support for the number.

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 03:28 AM

This is probably a stupid question, but can you feel where the numbers are stamped, from either side or are they fairly lightly stamped?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 03:30 AM

If the trunk weatherstrip is in place, you may not see them.

69 B's can be just about anywhere along the trunk lip.

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 03:33 AM

Quote:

I haven't tried on the passenger side yet, and all the trunk seal is mostly gone, but I'll get down to bare metal if necessary.
Posted By: C_B5

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 03:37 AM

Its very common for Superbirds to have NO numbers stamped on the radiator core support

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 04:04 AM

Quote:

This is probably a stupid question, but can you feel where the numbers are stamped, from either side or are they fairly lightly stamped?

Some are heavier than others but some can be seen/felt on the backside but many have no signs anything was stamped on the other side.

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't tried on the passenger side yet, and all the trunk seal is mostly gone, but I'll get down to bare metal if necessary.

I have personally never seen them any where other than the driver's side seal flange running along the quarter panel. Generally in the middle-ish.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have personally never seen them any where other than the driver's side seal flange running along the quarter panel. Generally in the middle-ish.

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It is a St. Louis car, and fortunately it does have the fender tag and now that it is in the body shop, mostly sanded down to bare metal, it's plain to see that it is all original, body wise. I did find the part number on the driver's side trunk drip rail, but not a vin number.

I hope it's not a High dollar car because even with a fender tag and a VIN you still have NOTHING on the Body itself to match it to , the dash and VIN are BOLTED to the body.
Posted By: moparphilll

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 05:24 PM

I have had Two Cuda's both original paint cars a 1970 and a 1971 both cars missing both #'s.. I was also "freaked out about it to the point I spent $30 for a quick consult with Galan on the subject. He assured me it was possible for the Error to be made on an assembly line of 5 metal cars ( they were stamped before painted)all looking the same rolling done the line, and the Dude that stamps, runs to the bathroom only to return to the wrong place in the line.. "poor Quality control at Chrysler in the 70's Common that could never happen!!!

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 10:11 PM

Nope, it's not a high dollar car anymore anyway. It's a very late build, spring special car that was an auto on the column, N96 and painted F6. Original engine and trans long gone and converted by previous owner to 4speed, bench seat. I'm putting it back like I want it. 4speed, bucket seats, power steering, and after market tilt steering. I'm retired now and want to make it a little more comfortable.

Re: VIN body numbers - 12/19/14 10:34 PM

Quote:

Nope, it's not a high dollar car anymore anyway. It's a very late build, spring special car that was an auto on the column, N96 and painted F6. Original engine and trans long gone and converted by previous owner to 4speed, bench seat. I'm putting it back like I want it. 4speed, bucket seats, power steering, and after market tilt steering. I'm retired now and want to make it a little more comfortable.

If that is the case I would find some stamps and put numbers where they just be JUST IN CASE ....

© 2024 Moparts Forums