Moparts

MSD COIL BLASTER

Posted By: cupcake

MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 05:07 AM

do,es it realy hurt the coil to mount it on the intake sideways
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 05:49 AM

They recommend vertical mounting. For sideways spend a few $s more and get the high vibration one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

"The High Vibration Coil, PN 8222, can be mounted in any position due to its epoxy potting compound"
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 12:41 PM

The vibration ends up destroying the seal just inside the terminal area and then it begins to leak oil all over your valleypan and intake, ask me how I know. not to mention you start to notice a weak driveability because your coil wire terminal is bathed in oil
Posted By: MNobody

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 02:25 PM

From the MSD instructions

The Blaster Coil is designed to mount in most factory canister coil mounts. MSD also offers a Chrome Coil Bracket, PN 8213. It is recommended to mount the PN 8202 and 8223 coils in an upright position. The High Vibration Coil, PN 8222, can be mounted in any position due to its epoxy potting compound.

I'm bummed mines been mounted sideway's on the intake for 2 year's, guess i'm gonna have move mine too, hope it ain't trashed. Might explain why i've had cold starting problem's for about a year and a half now.

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 02:45 PM

MNo,

If you have it on the car in the avatar, then you are probably safe. My coil cooked under the hood because there really isn't any airflow except from that of the mechanical fan. It seems you have a scoop on yours and it wouldn't be damaged. Pop off the coil wire and see if there is any oil, if there isn't just set it upright and I am sure you will be okay. As for hard starting in the morning, maybe your timing is the culprit. I use the timing advance, give her an extra 15 degrees so she is easier to start and then back her down to her normal range as she warms up.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 03:34 PM

Thank's for the info, yes it's on the Dart. Seem's like i read on here somewhere that if you mounted a blaster horizontaly you were supposed the make sure the terminals were turned so they were horizontal and it would be fine, not sure about that though. Gonna move mine anyway, doesn't need to sit on all that heat anyway.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 04:13 PM

I started to mfg these little brackets a while back that flip the stock mount from horizontal to vertical. You can buy them from Mancini Racing.

Attached picture 4929772-msd_coil.jpg
Posted By: MY340

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 05:01 PM

Mine was mounted horizontal for at least 10 yrs and no problems at all with it.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 08:32 PM

Quote:

Mine was mounted horizontal for at least 10 yrs and no problems at all with it.

Mine has been on for 9 years. No problem at all.

Re: MSD COIL BLASTER - 01/07/09 11:08 PM

Well trust me fella's....I know first hand because I was driving on I-15 headed to Vegas 2 years ago and I popped the hood since she wouldnt crank over after gettin gas. I had to wait 5 hours in the dark until Autozone opened up so I could buy a replacement, mounted it sideways again as I had no means to make an upright bracket in the boonies with no tools and then made a custom vertical bracket out of aluminum when she arrived to her final destination
© 2024 Moparts Forums