Moparts

71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement?

Posted By: Delta

71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 08:53 PM

I recently bought 71 cuda, originally 340 (unfortunattely lost 20+ years ago), not running since. It is 4 speed car, transmission still there. Because of 340 engines are expensive (12k for crate engine), I`m considering to use 408 stroker (360) engine instead, which are around 7k, and they shoudl have more HP. It is my first E-body, have no experience, so here are my questions?
1. will 360 (408) fit without any frame adjustments or adapters to 340 car?
2. will it fit to original 4 speed?
3. any recommendation, where to buy 408 (engine builders, etc...- I found it on Summit and Ebay from ATK)
4. in general, is it smart to use this type of engine? Or would you recommed something totally different?

The reason why I want to keep it small block is because of weight and easy handling.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 09:08 PM

If you want to find an inexpensive engine, I would go with a 360 magnum from a truck/dakota. If you have a decent budget, I would go with Gen 3 Hemi and transmission. If you can buy a wreck in your country to transplant everything, that would save you quite a bit of money. A Gen 3 hemi will get you quite a bit of power for the buck plus mileage.

Welcome to the board. Please start a post with your build and post lots of pictures!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 10:24 PM

Quote:

I recently bought 71 cuda, originally 340 (unfortunattely lost 20+ years ago), not running since. It is 4 speed car, transmission still there. Because of 340 engines are expensive (12k for crate engine), I`m considering to use 408 stroker (360) engine instead, which are around 7k, and they shoudl have more HP. It is my first E-body, have no experience, so here are my questions?
1. will 360 (408) fit without any frame adjustments or adapters to 340 car?
2. will it fit to original 4 speed?
3. any recommendation, where to buy 408 (engine builders, etc...- I found it on Summit and Ebay from ATK)
4. in general, is it smart to use this type of engine? Or would you recommed something totally different?

The reason why I want to keep it small block is because of weight and easy handling.

Yes the 360/408 will bolt right in and it will fit the 4 speed. I would not go to Summit or Ebay to buy a crate motor.

Gen 3 hemi would be a great idea but it's not going to be a direct bolt in .

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 11:06 PM

At the moment I`m in process of gathering info about E-body, checking what is missing in my car, what I have to buy etc.
I would like to keep original 4 speed and I found in article in HotRod magazine, nobody ever have tried to use gen 3 hemi with this transmission (don`t know why).

Quote:

If you want to find an inexpensive engine, I would go with a 360 magnum from a truck/dakota. If you have a decent budget, I would go with Gen 3 Hemi and transmission. If you can buy a wreck in your country to transplant everything, that would save you quite a bit of money. A Gen 3 hemi will get you quite a bit of power for the buck plus mileage.

Welcome to the board. Please start a post with your build and post lots of pictures!

Attached picture 8363286-IMG_9536.jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 11:13 PM

"best" is subjective and depends on your needs/wants/useage and how close to stock you intend the car to be.

I have zero interest in having a modern hemi in a classic car, so "best" for me would be a 340, followed closely by a 360 (likely stroked).

Dave
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 11:26 PM

Welcome to the board, Delta.

You have all the right ideas. The Edelbrock aluminum heads would also compliment your goal to keep it light.

For point of reference, running 360's can be had around here for $1000.00 or less, and complete re-build candidates can be had in the $500.00 range. Now, factor your shipping costs plus the cost of re-build and see if that becomes a viable option to source one from here and have it sent to you.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/15/14 11:56 PM

That`s exactly, where I am now. To decide, which direction to go. Generally I prefer original cars, but since original engine is gone and it will never be numbers matching, I have more choices. But I tend to have it with small block now.

Quote:

"best" is subjective and depends on your needs/wants/useage and how close to stock you intend the car to be.

I have zero interest in having a modern hemi in a classic car, so "best" for me would be a 340, followed closely by a 360 (likely stroked).

Dave

Posted By: rt66jim

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:15 AM

You might have a balance problem with the 360. They are externally balanced. You need to know if your current flywheel is for an internal or external balanced engine. If internal. Then use a 318 block and a 4" stroke crank. But on second thought. It might require either combo to be internally balanced.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:23 AM

Quote:

You might have a balance problem with the 360. They are externally balanced. You need to know if your current flywheel is for an internal or external balanced engine. If internal. Then use a 318 block and a 4" stroke crank. But on second thought. It might require either combo to be internally balanced.

A Mopar 360 cast flywheel is commonly available.........see below,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLYWHEEL-CAST-19...05e&vxp=mtr

Personally, I'd do the 360/408 stroker. Minimal fuss with maximum fun.
At $12k for a crate motor you could call MuscleMotors and they could custom build you an engine to your spec's. I know they'll ship overseas.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:23 AM

another 340 is the answer...hell of a better motor than a 360
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:26 AM

I see orange '71 'Cuda & seats - spoilers & louvers - you mentioned that it's a 340 4-spd car. Likely the top of the 340 food-chain short of a convertible - can you share fender tag info?

An iron headed 360/408 can be dressed to appear as stock as an original 340.
Its impact on your wallet will be minimal,
and its negative impact value/desirability of the 'Cuda would be minimal.

sounds like a WIN-WIN!
Posted By: roe

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:31 AM

Quote:

If built the same,part for part, the 360 would be the stronger of the two right? Unless the larger bore size of the 340 would make a huge difference.

And when both get a 4" crank then you'd have a 408 and a 416 that should run pretty evenly. If thats true then the 360 woukd look better to me simply because of the lower initial purchase price.

Add in the ability to go magnum based stroker with the better heads and roller cam (no worry of wiped lobes), then I'd really lean 360.
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:32 AM

IMO I would for sure go with a 340 replacement or at least a small block made to look pretty close to original. Looks like you have a very nice 71 340 cuda and there is nothing cheap about one of those.
No way I would go with a new model hemi. Great looking car and best of luck.
Matt
Posted By: d-150

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:37 AM

another vote 360 magnum,put some eq magnum heads stock look,roller cam
Posted By: jose jones

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 01:19 AM

the Gen 3 motor requires some extra work, since you are in Europe parts might be more difficult to obtain, my vote... 360 that is stroked looks like a 340 but good HP
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 01:28 AM

The 340 and 360 are the same engine on the outside.

The original 4-speed will mate to the 360, they were available that way when new. The bellhousing (part that goes between the engine and the transmission) is the same for both.

Make sure that you get a flywheel that matches the engine. By that I mean the flywheel will have 130 tooth ring gear, and have the normal MOPAR 6-bolt flange. But 340s and 360s had different balance. And who knows how a stroker is balanced. So, you need to make sure that WHATEVER engine you buy has a harmonic damper and a flywheel that are balanced to the particular engine you are getting.

For a clutch the flywheel will have a 10.5" pressure plate bolt pattern, and you can use the bigger clutch, they called it 10.95" to differentiate it from the larger flywheel that took either an 11" or 12" clutch. Centerforce Dual Friction would be my choice.

If you can afford aluminum heads they would help take weight off the front end, that would be good. Then also you could run 10.5:1 compression with your available pump gasoline. It should be very easy to make 500 hp with such an engine, if you want that much. If you wanted only 400hp, a 360 would do quite well.

I would suggest finding a builder on the East Coast to build an engine for you. I am suspicious of mass-produced high performance engines.

I hope someone here can give a reference or two.

Whatever you do, ask here before you buy. Or send me a pm, I love to spend other people's money.

Good Luck!

R.

The good news is that you only have to sort this out once.
Posted By: skicker

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 01:36 AM

I agree for the most part with dogdays. Find an engine builder and spec out a zero balance 408 build (internal). Use the stock 130 tooth flywheel for a 318-340 and go.
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 01:49 AM

Here's the 360 in My 71 Cuda. My car had the numbers matching 340 in it and I beat on it pretty hard. So I built a 360 La 4" stroke 408. I Put my 340 on a stand in my garage. Once you use a new rotating assy. crank,rods,pistons, you can have it internally balanced so you don't have to worry about the external balance deal. Now I have no guilt beating the hell out of it and it pulls way harder.

Attached picture 8363512-029.JPG

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 02:03 AM

Thanks all for advices! This is exactly, what I need to know. I have no problems to get all parts from US, I frequently ship containers with all the stuff here. Once the engine and all the other accessories is specified, it will be an "easy" job. I wouth rather have the engine built in US, because of much more experience. I want to get it running and make it mechanicaly like new first and enjoy driving, let the total resto for next years.
If anybody here can help me with complete specification of everything, engine builder, I would appreciate that.

PS. this is actually not my first mopar project, but my previos was rather easy, because of it was complete, all original and running, (but still it took 3 years to finish - therefore I want to drive first before deep restoration )

Quote:

The 340 and 360 are the same engine on the outside.

The original 4-speed will mate to the 360, they were available that way when new. The bellhousing (part that goes between the engine and the transmission) is the same for both.

Make sure that you get a flywheel that matches the engine. By that I mean the flywheel will have 130 tooth ring gear, and have the normal MOPAR 6-bolt flange. But 340s and 360s had different balance. And who knows how a stroker is balanced. So, you need to make sure that WHATEVER engine you buy has a harmonic damper and a flywheel that are balanced to the particular engine you are getting.

For a clutch the flywheel will have a 10.5" pressure plate bolt pattern, and you can use the bigger clutch, they called it 10.95" to differentiate it from the larger flywheel that took either an 11" or 12" clutch. Centerforce Dual Friction would be my choice.

If you can afford aluminum heads they would help take weight off the front end, that would be good. Then also you could run 10.5:1 compression with your available pump gasoline. It should be very easy to make 500 hp with such an engine, if you want that much. If you wanted only 400hp, a 360 would do quite well.

I would suggest finding a builder on the East Coast to build an engine for you. I am suspicious of mass-produced high performance engines.

I hope someone here can give a reference or two.

Whatever you do, ask here before you buy. Or send me a pm, I love to spend other people's money.

Good Luck!

R.

The good news is that you only have to sort this out once.

Attached picture 8363526-69-Plymouth-GTX-12.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 03:52 AM

That's a rare/special car, weather you decide to install a close replacement now (or not) I would still recommend procuring the best/most accurate replacement you can find even if you keep it under the bench and decide to install something else. 1971 340's also have some one year only parts that you should also try to locate while you can (short list of larger items below).

1971 4972s Carter Thermo-Quad Carburetor
DR1114429 Idle Stop Solenoid
1970-1971 340 Air Cleaner
1970-71 Valve covers
1970-71 340 Oil Pan (294 stamped into the bottom)
1971 intake manifold- Casting # 3512100
Exhaust manifolds, casting #3418621 Drivers Side & #3418623 Passenger Side (the hard part is finding both with casting dates prior to your cars SPD)

You can learn more about correct parts details (Here ).

As far as a replacement 340 block goes your choices are pretty straight forward, most opinions will vary but the following are my personal choice list, my most to least favorite in order:

1. Find the original numbers matching block (long shot but nothing else will be 100% "correct" )

2. 340 block, warranty replacement or service block. I like these because the casting date doesn't matter so much and it won't have another cars VIN sequence number on it.

3. 340 block from another car which has an assembly date before and close to your cars scheduled production date.

4. 340 block from another 1971 model year car (any date)

5. 340 block, any year casting you can find

6. 340 block, new Mopar replacement "Resto 340" block

7. 360 block, any year

Attached picture 8363684-340stand.jpg
Posted By: mopar346

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 04:13 AM

I agree with Scott about finding a 340 block/engine if you can and store it until such time as you decide you want it. As for your current plan, I would go with a 360 based 408 and I would use the K-1 technologies rotating assembly, a pain to get but the quality is second to none from what I can see. And yea, if I need a small block this is the route I would go, why give up the cubes and the power.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 04:16 AM

I don't always have the same views as Scott Smith but this time I do. I would look for a date code correct 340 block and stroke it for this particular car.

Sheldon
Posted By: skicker

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 06:06 AM

Quote:

I would look for a date code correct 340 block and stroke it for this particular car.

Sheldon

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner....
Posted By: jose jones

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 06:45 AM

Hey Delta, Congrats on the 71 Cuda, where did you find it Berlin? Boston? Topeka? looks like a nice project

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/16/14 12:06 PM

it was big coincidence, I met a guy, and he mentioned during conversation, his father has some old american car, something like plymouth, in his garage, sitting there from 1991. Later he told me it is something like cuda, 71 or so. Uhhh. I didn`t belive it that much until I went to his garage. It was there. In village close to Prague. Since I bought it and post it locally, I got few pictures from its history, this Cuda was in Europe at least from 80s. It was like an alien from different planet here, all people who visited US cars meetings in 80s knew it and remembered the car. I investigated one of the owners (he bought it in Slovakia in 85).

Quote:

Hey Delta, Congrats on the 71 Cuda, where did you find it Berlin? Boston? Topeka? looks like a nice project

Attached picture 8363991-IMG_7589.jpg
Posted By: floyd

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 02:54 PM

A member just listed a 71 340 motor for sale in E Body Parts for Sale.....
Posted By: ErikR

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 03:57 PM

Scott, I was gonna ask in the 3-speed thread but this thread is a better place for my question.

Really nice finished engine you posted, you said,

"This stock appearing 340 is actually 426 cubes and has over 450HP and 500TQ dressed just as you see it here, 9.6:1 compression on pump gas."

Care to share some more info how what tweaks to the stock-appearing engine had to be done to get that performance? Very interested in going this route.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 04:56 PM

Its really nothing exotic, pretty easy numbers to hit with a stroker crank and some good heads. Here are the basics; Mine uses a Scat 4.125 crank, Diamond lightweight pistons, Carillo rods, good port job on the heads (spend your money on head work) flat tappet hyd cam (its pretty aggresive but not noisey). The carb, intake, and manifolds are 100% stock, manifolds were Extrude Honed but that only gained 3hp. The same engine would easily make over 500hp with an intake & carb swap and headers.
Posted By: ErikR

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 05:26 PM

great, thanks. Pretty cool that's with a stock carb too.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 08:07 PM

I would absolutely put another 340 in it, either 416 version or stock stroke.
Regards price, I have never understood why people say how much more a 340 is than a 360.
Just goes back to Mopar guys being ultra cheap skates in a ton of cases.
You can find a good 360 block for 100-200. You can find a good 340 block for 500-700.
Other than that trivial difference( in the whole scheme of building a motor and putting it in a 30-40 thousand dollar car like the OP)...The difference amounts to next to nothing
If someone is going to whine about 4 or 5 hundred bucks difference in buying a block and then building a motor with it being a make or break thing, they probably have zero business starting such an undertaking in the first place.
If it came with a 340, try and put one back in it.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 11:01 PM

thanks for notice, just sent him email.

Quote:

A member just listed a 71 340 motor for sale in E Body Parts for Sale.....

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 11:11 PM

New crate 408 engine is around $7k, 340 around 12k, I have no idea, why that difference. More I think about it and read the comments and experiences, I want to buy just the block and have it built locally.

Quote:

I would absolutely put another 340 in it, either 416 version or stock stroke.
Regards price, I have never understood why people say how much more a 340 is than a 360.
Just goes back to Mopar guys being ultra cheap skates in a ton of cases.
You can find a good 360 block for 100-200. You can find a good 340 block for 500-700.
Other than that trivial difference( in the whole scheme of building a motor and putting it in a 30-40 thousand dollar car like the OP)...The difference amounts to next to nothing
If someone is going to whine about 4 or 5 hundred bucks difference in buying a block and then building a motor with it being a make or break thing, they probably have zero business starting such an undertaking in the first place.
If it came with a 340, try and put one back in it.

Posted By: ademon

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 11:35 PM

Quote:

That's a rare/special car, weather you decide to install a close replacement now (or not) I would still recommend procuring the best/most accurate replacement you can find even if you keep it under the bench and decide to install something else. 1971 340's also have some one year only parts that you should also try to locate while you can (short list of larger items below).

1971 4972s Carter Thermo-Quad Carburetor
DR1114429 Idle Stop Solenoid
1970-1971 340 Air Cleaner
1970-71 Valve covers
1970-71 340 Oil Pan (294 stamped into the bottom)
1971 intake manifold- Casting # 3512100
Exhaust manifolds, casting #3418621 Drivers Side & #3418623 Passenger Side (the hard part is finding both with casting dates prior to your cars SPD)

You can learn more about correct parts details (Here ).

As far as a replacement 340 block goes your choices are pretty straight forward, most opinions will vary but the following are my personal choice list, my most to least favorite in order:

1. Find the original numbers matching block (long shot but nothing else will be 100% "correct" )

2. 340 block, warranty replacement or service block. I like these because the casting date doesn't matter so much and it won't have another cars VIN sequence number on it.

3. 340 block from another car which has an assembly date before and close to your cars scheduled production date.

4. 340 block from another 1971 model year car (any date)

5. 340 block, any year casting you can find

6. 340 block, new Mopar replacement "Resto 340" block

7. 360 block, any year

I have all those parts, plus the warranty 71 block. Any chance of you shipping the car to me??? PLEASE!!

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/17/14 11:45 PM

So do I ademon, Im guessing niether one of us us getting that Cuda

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 12:20 AM

why not, maybe one day I decide to sell it
it already happened once, I bought a car in US, shipped to Europe, and then sold it and shipped back to US
We have one global market, because of internet

Quote:

So do I ademon, Im guessing niether one of us us getting that Cuda

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 12:29 AM

Alrighty then! Please add me to your bidder list

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 01:04 AM

waiting for engine, next to my other mopar project (which is waiting for engine too )

Quote:

Alrighty then! Please add me to your bidder list

Attached picture 8365598-IMG_9597.jpg
Posted By: dstryr

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 01:34 AM

Nice 'cuda...I really like orange with black top cars...my father bought a '69 bee in 2006 V2/black vinyl top and my 'other' car, not a mopar, Carousel Red w/ Black vinyl top '69 Judge...

Great find and I'm looking forward to updates.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 04:19 AM

So do you have the fender tag or Broadcast Sheet for the Cuda? If so could you post pics?

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 08:31 PM

fender tag was lost, I found broadcast sheet in the seat, not taken out yet.

Quote:

So do you have the fender tag or Broadcast Sheet for the Cuda? If so could you post pics?

Attached picture 8366344-IMG_9529.jpg

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 10:17 PM

That sheet is VERY important! Dont let anything happen to it!
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 10:46 PM

You are lucky that broadcast sheet is under the seat. That's a wonderful Christmas present! Did your Cuda come factory equipped with rear window louvers? That is going to be one sexy car when finished.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/18/14 11:22 PM

I took few pictures but it`s hard to read it. I have to get it from the seat first to decode.

Quote:

You are lucky that broadcast sheet is under the seat. That's a wonderful Christmas present! Did your Cuda come factory equipped with rear window louvers? That is going to be one sexy car when finished.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/19/14 02:31 AM

Very, very carefully they can be fragile. Hopefully it is the one from your car.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/19/14 04:53 PM

Unless you have 3 hands, have a helper lift the springs so you can carefully remove the sheet.
Have you posted your missing 340 number in the lost and found here.
You never know...
Looks to have the textured rear window moldings as well.
BTW ..thats just a really cool 71 Cuda

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/19/14 07:17 PM

I hope the sheet will survive and will be readible. My cuda has manual steering, was that common? How is it to drive it?
Posted By: PasiR

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/19/14 09:40 PM

I liked a lot manual steering I had on my 383 Cuda.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/21/14 12:46 AM

It was a good day today. I spent it digging the broadcast sheet out off the seat, and it went quite well. Almost all numbers are readable and I did decode it, here is my Cuda specification:

1971 Plymouth Cuda 340 4sp

carline body type en year plant
BS 23 H 1 B

Trim code UDF color Paint style Body paint
H6XV 000 V01 EV2

Interior color: H6XV orange
Body paint: EV2 - tor red/hemi orange
Engine: H - 340 V8
Trans: D23 HD 4spd man
Axle: D53 D91 3.23:1 Suregrip

C55 Bucket seats
C93 Carpeting
B11 HD drum br E bdy
A45 Spoiler pkg-frt&rear
A62 Rallye Instru. Clustr
A67 Plymouth Backlight louver pkg
G36 O/Sduel pnt race mir
G41 I/S day/nite mirror
F23 59 a/h 375 cca bat
F56 Anti freeze
F96 oil-press/temp Gge.
J15 cig lighter
J21 elec clock
J25 3spd var wipers
J31 single horn
J45 hoodpins w/lanyards
J68 rear wind louvers
J81 Rspoiler wing typ 70-2
M25 wide sill mold
M26 wheel lip mold
M31 belt&hood mold
M88 1/4panl tape treatment
L75 low fuel Lmp
L76 warning gauges
N31 opt compress ratio
N42 crome duel exhst tips
N65 7-blade clutch dr/fan
N85 tach
R11 music master radio am
S13 ralleye susp w/sway bar
S25 HD/firm ride shock absb
S41 rear sway bar
S81 sim wood steer wheel
W21 rally wheels 70/71

Is there anything special or rare about thic car?
Posted By: tx9cuda

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/21/14 01:17 AM

Quote:

Is there anything special or rare about thic car?

ABSOLUTELY Special
340/4speed
Great Color/Cool Interior/rallye gauges/vinyl top/louvers/spoilers....
This is a great 'Cuda, find a good 340 block and bring her back to life
I love it.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/21/14 01:25 AM

Well I'm no E body guy but it looks like it has a few more options checked off than most other cudas left the factory with. They are all rare, but still its the big blocks shakers that command the big $$$

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/21/14 01:48 AM

Nicely equipped car!

M88 is not rear tape stripe (common mistake with online decoders). It's actually the Cuda rear tail lamp panel surround stainless.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/21/14 02:27 AM

That is a really cool car, the way it is decked out it's kinda surprising that they didn't check off power steering and power disc brakes. No matter, I would rahter have the options they DID check off.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/21/14 06:54 AM

Do you happen to know the SPD build date on the fender tag or broadcast sheet.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/22/14 11:48 PM

Broadcast sheet straightened, put together and laminated. Result seems to be nice in comparison to how it looked in the seat.

Attached picture 8370595-IMG_9613.jpg
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/23/14 12:59 AM

Quote:

Not

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/23/14 01:04 AM

I was going to post "Dont laminate the sheet!" But I guess Im too late. Be sure to make several high resoloution scans now, sometimes the inks can fade or run when sealed into the plastic like that.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/23/14 01:12 AM

I did scan it. There was not that many options, it was torn into many pieces, you couldn`t touch it or move it. No numbers dissapeared, looks more bright and sharp than before. I don`t expect it should react after it was laminated.

Quote:

I was going to post "Dont laminate the sheet!" But I guess Im too late. Be sure to make several high resoloution scans now, sometimes the inks can fade or run when sealed into the plastic like that.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 12/23/14 01:27 AM

It's done now so hopefully it will be preserved. I put mine in plastic sleeves.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 02/25/15 09:24 PM

I have no idea, why I cannot start posts in swap forum and parts wanted forum, i will try it here. Looking for following parts for my cuda:
1. rally dash instrument gauge
2. left and right door and quarter window - tinted

Any offers, please PM
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 02/25/15 09:40 PM

In the for sale section you just "reply" to the last post. Put your own title in it, though.
R.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 02/25/15 10:31 PM

got it, thanks.

Quote:

In the for sale section you just "reply" to the last post. Put your own title in it, though.
R.

Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 02/28/15 08:11 AM

I'll probably be flogged for this, but 318's are probably more common in Europe, just as they are here on this side of the pond. A cheap (free?) 318 with a stroker crank installed is 390 cubic inches, no slouch & should rev up quickly just like a 340. And it can be dressed like a 340. Given the rarity of the car and it's collector value, you should long term look at finding a correct '71 340.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/14/15 01:44 AM

I don't get all the " the 340 is much more expensive, so build a 360 statements".

Fact is, if you look around at all, 340 blocks are easy to find and rarely more than 600-800 dollars.
Even if you find a suitable 360 block for 100 dollars, in the whole scheme of the whole motor build you have maybe 500-700 dollars more money in the 340 build( cost difference of the block)
Many times you can find a 340 short block with steel crank for not much if any more than the price I stated above for just the block.... Needing rebuilt. You pick up the quality steel crank that can take a lot of punishment and is a nice piece.
For a car like yours, for very little difference in money I would i put another 340 in it( or a stroked 340)/416.... No brainer

Edit.... Didn't notice I hadreplied to this thread months ago.... Lol
Posted By: Vert

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/16/15 08:00 PM

Quote:

... A cheap (free?) 318 with a stroker crank installed is 390 cubic inches, no slouch & should rev up quickly just like a 340...

Not argumentative, but I've heard there was a problem with valve shrouding when you when with larger valves. Something about notching the cylinder wall tops. Can a 318 breath well enough to make power with a stroker crank?

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/21/15 04:48 AM

Quote:

Can a 318 breath well enough to make power with a stroker crank?

I guess we'd have to ask someone who has one? Sounds like it could be a problem with 2.02 intake valves or larger... If I were building a 390 I'd put a set of Mag heads (1.92 intake??) & port them. They'd flow fine for 390 c.i. You can bolt LA covers on Mag heads, to dress it as a 340. Only hardcore Moparts guys would likely sniff out something unusual (no X or J or heat crossover. Pic of my LA 360 with Mag heads dressed as a 68 340.

Attached picture 8466494-P7220303.JPG

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/29/15 03:14 AM

I decided to go original, that means to find correct 340. There is one 340 availabale currently close to me, it is produced in september 71 (blue painted). Was this engine used for 71 model year, or only in 72 models? Any major difference in comparison to 70-71 engine?

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/29/15 05:09 AM

I think the carb and intake manifold are different between '70-71. '70 still used the square bore AVS, and '71 was the first year spread bore Thermoquad? And I think the '71 was a one year carb before an improved version came in '72? Someone check me on this, ScottSmith Harms?
Posted By: d100dragracer

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/29/15 07:49 AM

The 2.02 valves being a problem like requiring bore notching and such on a 318 is something that was started many many years ago and simply is not true. As I have run 2.02 valves many times in several different 318's with no issues. Think about it all 318 340 360 LA heads have the exact same valve spacing add 2.02 intake size and 1.60 exhaust size together that is 3.620 and a 318 stock bore size is 3.910 there is no where near .290 separation between the intake and exhaust valves on any of these heads it would probably be a issue using 2.02 valves on a 273 but it never has been on a 318 and I don't see valve shrouding being a issue neither all the 2.02 valve heads I have put on a 318 have always made a major difference in power as long as you deck the head or block to keep the compression from dropping I have used new pistons many times though with valve reliefs in them because you cant run much cam with 318 stock flat tops with no valve reliefs cut in them. My

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 03/29/15 02:20 PM

The last month of 1971 production was July 1971 so your September engine find would have been from a 1972 model year car. There were small differences between 71 & 72 340's but nothing huge or difficult to change to 71 specs when you rebuild it.

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 10/26/15 11:16 PM

...it`s been some time since my last post. Finally I got date correct 340 from local member. Now I can move to another missing part - clutch and flywheel. Could you guys help me, what flywheel should I use? I found they sell 130 and 143 tooth, which one is correct? Would you recommend steel or aluminium (they are almost the same price). How about cluth set? They sell many different kind from $100 to $1000, any recommendation on a good one? I will keep the engine mostly stock, maybe few upgrades, but not over 400 HP.
340 is internally balanced?

Re: 71 cuda - 340 lost, what`s the best replacement? - 10/27/15 04:17 AM

For the street I recommend a steel flywheel, 10.50" 130 tooth which will fit into the stock bell housing, a 143 is an 11.00" and won't fit.

Call Wayne Brewer or Jamie Passon for a clutch, I recommend a stock style McCleod (roughly $600-$700.00 a set).

All 1968 through early 1972 340's were originally equipped with a forged steel crank and are internally balanced, later date 340's equipped with a cast crank were externally balanced.
© 2024 Moparts Forums