Moparts

Opinions on engine noise please

Posted By: Row_your_own

Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 04:09 PM

383 with what sounds like either piston slap or rocker noise?
1969 Plymouth Road Runner C-179280: http://youtu.be/RAhpJZo6geE
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:22 PM

Just a guess, but to me it sounds like piston slap. I have a 400 that sounds similar to that just not quite as bad. I hate it because the car sounds cool out back, then you walk up to the hood and it sounds like a diesel.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:27 PM

I've never heard piston slap so I can't say but that does not sound good. I could almost be rockers hitting the baffles but there would have to be a big cam and adjustable rockers for that ???

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:27 PM

Yea, I was leaning towards piston slap. Ugh...

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:31 PM

Quote:

I've never heard piston slap so I can't say but that does not sound good. I could almost be rockers hitting the baffles but there would have to be a big cam and adjustable rockers for that ???

at first blush I thought is was rocker noise. Almost like shafts put on incorrectly. Exhaust note is mild so large cam out of the equation. It's too bad, its a pretty clean car. Too much money with a suspect engine.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:37 PM

piston slap is a knocking sound. depending on the material the piston is made out of can have an effect on how pronounced the noise is. piston slap is a given with a high performance piston with a straight pin. if noise goes away as engine temperature increases and the engine does have a straight pin piston, then i wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over it.

i tried to listen to the video, gave up after 2 minutes. why would you ask somebody to diagnos a noise with the music blairing!
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:39 PM

If it quiets down after 3 or 4 minutes or so, It would be pistons rocking around in the bores. It does sound a little extra loud even so. If it does quiet when warmed completely, it may run for many years like that.

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 06:45 PM

Quote:

i tried to listen to the video, gave up after 2 minutes. why would you ask somebody to diagnos a noise with the music blairing!

car isn't in my possession but thanks for the effort.
Posted By: srt

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/07/14 11:22 PM

rule #1 - in considering buying (from a dealer) is beware.
with that, I'd recommend a trip to inspect what you are considering or thorough inspection of the car by a qualified shop of your choice.

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/08/14 06:14 PM

Quote:

why would you say ugggh , rockers hitting the covers is an easy fix that doesn't require rebuilding the engine ...

Hopefully you aren't stupid enough to buy this car sight unseen?

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/09/14 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

why would you say ugggh , rockers hitting the covers is an easy fix that doesn't require rebuilding the engine ...

Hopefully you aren't stupid enough to buy this car sight unseen?

Your answer to first question is I was saying ugh in regards to assumption that noise is piston slap, not the rockers hitting the baffles.
Second question, before I spend $350.00 to have car inspected I asked for opinion, not diagnosis on engine noise.
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/09/14 10:46 PM

I have a 440 that has piston slap when cold and even when it gets up to temp it still makes the noise until it's driven. I would test drive the car after it's to temp and get on it hard through the gears. After a hard drive the noise should go away or be much less if it's piston slap.

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/10/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

Second question, before I spend $350.00 to have car inspected I asked for opinion, not diagnosis on engine noise.

An opinion is like a diagnosis in this case I would think ??????

Good luck ...
Posted By: moparpoolman

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/10/14 02:50 AM

I once drove all the way to MN to buy a car which was suppose to be in great condition and had a Galen report that sounded great. After driving 22hrs with my truck and trailer, I saw the car in person and knew within minutes I wasn't buying the car. Drove another 22hrs home, 1 nap for 4 hrs along the way. It was a long 48hrs. Yes it was a big waste of money going there but THANK GOD I didn't buy it sight unseen! If you have to, fly there, rent a car, see it, and make your decision.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/10/14 04:17 AM

Engine noise??? yes it has. Cause?? to be determined.
The car looks OK in the video but has several OBVIOUS flaws besides the "engine noise"
Depending on the price it may or may not be worth pursuing. As someone stated if its at a Classic car dealer
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: Opinions on engine noise please - 12/10/14 07:28 AM

HELL-O? Obvious!! DUH.
© 2024 Moparts Forums