Moparts

Dual point distributor

Posted By: sixpackman

Dual point distributor - 12/02/14 09:13 PM

Hello,

I have a 1970 Cuda 440-6 with a miss in the motor. Put a complete tune-up in it but can't locate the issue.

In the distributor does each set of points operate one bank of the motor? It seems like I'm getting twice the spark on the drives bank than the passenger? I have changed, checked, tuned, and replaced everything and nothing. I even used a dwell meter to tune the points. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Dual point distributor - 12/02/14 09:24 PM

Dual points increase the dwell time for all cylinders, they do not control one bank over the other.

Your miss may not be ignition related.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Dual point distributor - 12/02/14 10:33 PM

misses at idle/part throttle/wot? Describe the miss, what parts/systems have been replaced/checked. When did it start, any changes that immediately preceding it missing? Some times on a toughie I go back to a basic compression test to make sure I ain't got a dead hole. If you ground each plug wire does it slow a bit? rotor radial gap/phasing OK?
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Dual point distributor - 12/03/14 11:57 PM

Watch for frayed / broken litz wire conducting the ground current "around" the ball bearing breaker plate. Drive it very long that way, bearing balls get arc-welded.

Post a good pix w/ rotor removed.

Rick
Posted By: srt

Re: Dual point distributor - 12/04/14 07:09 AM

is this a factory 8 lobe shaft dist? some aftermarket have 4 lobes one set of pts for 4 cyls, other for the other 4.
did you set dwell by blocking one set of points with a clean business card, set the un-blocked set, then reverse and set the other?
Check the leads within the dist for chafing and also the dist cap for arcing/cracks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums