Moparts

Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted

Posted By: vinnyd76

Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/26/14 09:18 PM

Anyone have or used the Summit brand engine cradle? I may be taking a road trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday to pick-up a 340 engine. I was planning to purchase a 1" box steel cradle. I never used the Summit brand, but I was concerned the front attachment on the Summit model did not have any bolt attachments just resting points. Reference attachment.

Any feedback or other recommendations on steel cradles would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Vinny

Attached File
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/26/14 10:45 PM

A ratchet strap will fix the "problem" with the Summit cradle. How does the allstar brand mount up front? thru the motor mounts? Timing chain cover bolt holes?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/26/14 10:56 PM

The cradle/dolly andyF and the one ones I used to make are much better than those flimsy summit/all star non-fitting on a mopar engine product. I don't think either of us build them anymore.

Last one I saw needed some grinding mods to work on a SB.

Do they work, yes (sort of), are they cheap in price, materials and design, yes.
Posted By: Vert

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/26/14 11:14 PM

I bought one of Andy's thru Mancini Racing a little over a year ago. Mine was for a big block tho. I'd love to see a version that converts into a runstand. I thought it was a little pricey, but it is high quality. And so many of us are CHEAP. :-)
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/27/14 12:21 AM

Free=old tire

Cheap = HD furniture dolly from various sources
+ a couple short sections of 2X4 and a pair of straps, one to hold engine on dolly, one to hold in place. You can replace the dolly with a small pallet if desired. The dolly is useful once it gets home, unless you have a pallet jack.
Posted By: ebodyseast

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/27/14 12:44 AM

I built one years ago for B engine using (4) 2X6s, (4) angle irons and 4 wheels from Lowe's/Home Depot. The length of the oil pan rests on two of the upright 2x6s. Notched the back end corners for clearing the flexplate.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/27/14 12:50 AM

Build your own out of 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's. It's easy, works great and cheap! Add casters and it's easily mobile!!!!!
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/27/14 12:51 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Engine Storage Cradle Recommendation Wanted - 11/27/14 03:48 AM

I just made a transport cradle for my 340 using plans from this thread last weekend. Very easy to do and should serve the purpose. I sat mine on a small HF dolly to move it around my garage.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=256797
© 2024 Moparts Forums