Moparts

68 Fury frame color

Posted By: Ledman_70

68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 04:35 PM

IIRC, the frames were never painted on these cars, so can you guys tell me how you finish your frames? I have a 68 Sport Fury I'm redoing to sell. The nose is off and the inner fenders and core support are painted. I'm pulling the motor for gaskets and paint next week, but I haven't decided what to do about the frame yet. Should I sand it and paint it satin black, or just leave it bare? If I leave it bare won't it look kinda crappy with the rest of the engine bay newly painted? When I did my 64 Polara I painted the K-frame and everything attached to it with POR15 and the rails the same color as the car, but the 68 is a little different. What would you guys do, keeping in mind this car is to be sold? Thanks
Jeff

Attached picture 4927210-f40.jpg
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 05:13 PM

I ordered a new Sport Fury, I still own it even though it's at my friends salvage yard.

The stub frame was/is black from the factory. Some of the suspension parts were bare metal. (upper & lower control arms, drive shaft, rear springs...

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 06:48 PM

So you think maybe painting the frame only black would be the best thing? I don't mind doing that, I just don't want to dissasemble the whole front suspension to paint it. Thanks for the reply.
Jeff
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 06:53 PM

Painters hint. If you don't want paint to stick to a part you're paniting around then cover it with grease. After the paint dries wipe off the grease. Works real well to save decals etc.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 07:30 PM

For me, one thing I hate is a partially painted frame. I've run across numerous cars (and even attempted it myself) wherein the rustproofing was stripped off and the bottom of the car painted black. To me it looks terrible because there are so many nooks/crannies that the average Joe doesn't do a good job (or doesn't finish it once he realizes what he got himself into).

I realize your question is a little different, though. I'd suggest a good wire brushing and spraycans of flat black. For some reason flat paint sticks and covers better than other finishes -- and you won't be able to get a shiny subframe without LOTS of prepwork.

I've had mixed results with POR-15 and cheap-quality spraycan - my recommendation is Krylon or Rustoleum in a spraycan.

If you can, preserve some of the details items (shockabsorber washers, brake lines, etc) so that it doesn't look like a guy just washed everything down with paint. A rag dipped in paint thinner works well, just stay away from your fresh body paint!

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 07:33 PM

I don't see any evidence that this car's frame was ever painted, so that makes me curious, too. Did some cars get painted, and others not?
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/06/09 10:17 PM

I think there was such a light coat of paint on them that many (like mine) are now covered with surface rust with no evidence of paint.
Posted By: Furyman

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/08/09 05:17 AM

All C body frt stub frames were black.Usually have the last 3 digits of the part # done in a yellow stencil on the front of one of the rails.

Re: 68 Fury frame color - 01/08/09 03:48 PM

So, were the suspension components painted, too, or just the frame rails? Should be satin, not flat, right? Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Moparts Forums