Moparts

Where to purchase leaf springs?

Posted By: Dixie

Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 05:49 AM

Guys,

Where are some places to purchase leaf springs? I need a stock replacement set for my son's Demon. Doesn't have to be correct, just work. I know of ESPO and Eaton. Anywhere else I should check? He's on a high school budget, so I'm looking for bang for the buck here.

Thanks!
Randy
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 05:56 AM

JR spring (jcwhitney of chicago). EDIT A (very likely) cheaper alt would be to dissassemble em & have a local spring shop rearch the main leaf(s) then you reassemble. Measure the bumper height to ground right now then jack it up till you get the height you want then measure the difference & give that number to the shop. MORE EDIT If you do order tailor made ones get em with 1" more arch (height) than stock
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 06:50 AM

Randy. Got mine from Spring n Things. They have them in stock height or +1, or+2 inch over stock height
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 10:25 AM

John R spring in these parts...
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 02:24 PM

Here's a second for Springs & Things . I had a pair of springs re-arched by a local spring shop and it only lasted a year.
Posted By: Erik

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 02:28 PM

I get all of mine from Springs and Things. My last set I picked up right at their shop. They told me I was the first customer to ever show up to pick up a set. LOL

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 03:39 PM

Thanks guys. I've asked Springs n Things for a quote. I have spring helpers on it now, but they're not quite working anymore.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 04:35 PM

Springs n things X5
Posted By: therocks

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 07:56 PM

Do you have a spring shop around?I got a pair from local spring shop for my 57 that were on their shelf.Mine were totall broke.Cast me 200 bucks.My kid had them rearch his 62s and add a leaf and was like 120.They are still better than a new spring and been on for 15 years.Rocky
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 09:59 PM

Quote:

He's on a high school budget, so I'm looking for bang for the buck here.

Thanks!
Randy

Well, I'd ask if you are sure they need replaced, first. I've seen many guys think a mopar spring set should have a nice arch to them and they replace their "worn out" springs only to find the replacements sit nearly as flat. Mopar sprigns are designed to only have a couple of inches of arch to them when installed.

If they really are worn, get a set from the junkyard, cut the eyes off the main leaf to sit just under the eyes of his leaf spring pack, install in his pack. Results in a slight lift with a step up in rate. Net cost may be around $10-20.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/21/14 11:04 PM

You likely have a local spring shop that rebuilds springs for trucks. If your main leafs are OK, you might be money ahead to rebuild your current springs. Depends on the spring shop. The spring shop we have here is cheaper then I can buy springs online and get them shipped to me. Our local guy bends U bolts too. Gene
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/22/14 12:35 AM

Compress the spring on either side of the middle bolt with a pair of C clamps then remove the nut with a nut cracker. Most times the nut is rusted and or the threads are fubared & if you try to uncrew the nut you'll snap the shaft & that is a special bolt. Chase the threads & a new grade 8 nut loctited & that situation is dealt with
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/22/14 12:56 AM

1) Check for local shop first because shipping now is a killer.
2) St. Louis Spring — They usually have the original prints/plans on file. Order additional arch if desired.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/22/14 01:50 AM

I run SuperStock springs on my 63 and I bought them from Mancini and got a good deal on them. Tell them you are a Moparts member and they should give you a 10% discount as they did for me. This is how it sits with the SS springs. Ron

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/23/14 06:01 PM

Good stuff guys, thanks. The reason I think it needs new springs is they were sagging pretty bad when I got it. I put helpers on it, and it did help for awhile. I've noticed while driving it recently, that when it hits a bump with more than one person in it, the rear tires scrape. It has new shocks, so I'm thinking the springs are giving a too little much bounce in the rear. $250/pr for a set of springs aren't in his budget. So, it'll just have to scrape for awhile.

I will check with a local shop on re-arching them. That might be the way to go. Finding a set in a junkyard these days maybe be hard to do, but that's a thought too.

Attached is a pic of it at a cruise-in this past summer. I think it has a pretty good stance. It was originally a slant 6 car, so the helpers did raise it a bit in the rear.

Attached picture 8339554-WP_20140816_005.jpg
Posted By: clemul

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/23/14 08:02 PM

In my opinion Eaton springs is the only way to go. OEM supplier working off original blueprints in USA using quality materials. Can do stock -/+ 1",2",3". If can't afford it now it is worth waiting until you can. I was very happy with the quality of their work.
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/23/14 08:21 PM

BTW Randy, tell your son he has a great looking ride there! Very nice he and you should be proud!
Now if I could just talk me son into a cool car like that.
Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/23/14 10:34 PM

Eaton is great and honest and they work from OEM info. I vote for them as well.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/23/14 10:42 PM

That is a sweet looking car.
I remember these cars doing what you describe back in the 70's.
It's more about the over size tires than wore out springs.
That's why those hated long shackles and air shocks were used.
Don't go that route.
I don't think you are gonna find 10 to 20 dollar springs in any junk yard either.
I would add a leaf and, or get yours redone. Talk to local hot rodders to find a good shop.
Maybe a slightly narrower or shorter tire might help, but it won't look as good...
Posted By: 383man

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 02:21 AM

Dixie thats one nice Demon your son has. Reminds me of my sons Dart pitured here which has the 002 & 003 SS springs on it. I like the Demons alot and your sons looks great. Ron

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 03:08 AM

Thanks for the compliments on the car, guys. The camera hides a lot of flaws. But, for a High School car, it's works fine. Door dings are gonna happen. He can drive it and not panic if he gets caught in the rain.

The rear tires are probably a bit too tall. I got a screaming deal on them and the wheels, so I bit. I think they are 255/60/15's off the top of my head. They are almost new, so when they wear out, we'll get a smaller set. Of course, I hope that takes awhile.

One item of note. I had the front end originally a little lower. I put the tires on it and had them balanced, the new weights are larger. They hit the upper a-arms. So, by raising the height a little, I got them to clear. All I want for Christmas is a tire changing machine and a few tons of good old fashion lead weights!
Posted By: ahy

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 04:33 AM

As several have posted, adding a leaf may be a cost effective fix. One full leaf at my local spring shop costs $100 and change and increases height by about an inch... stiffness also.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 04:39 AM

Less cost than Eaton, but still good selection and quality are leafs made by Stanley Springs in Harrisburg Pa. Contact them for a local supplier. Otherwise, see what shipping is from Stengel Bros.
http://www.stengelbros.net/Leaf-Springs_c_177.html
At the bottom of the page is a link to listings of springs available by application.

Having gone the helper spring route as a greenhorn, allow me to suggest ditching them at the first opportunity. They really are best for situations where there is extra weight being carried in the rear. They make the rear stiffer (in the upward direction) and in doing so make the car more likely to fishtail and spin.* This is worse at higher speeds (like a highway to highway interchange) and slicker conditions. Don't ask me how I learned this before I understood this...

You can get a little more ht in the rear by cranking up the front. Factory spec on front ride ht for Dart/Valiants is about 2 1/8" IIRC. That's from the bottom of the t-bar anchor to the lower ball joint. If you change the ride ht, then reset camber, caster, and toe in that order.

Leaf and coil springs do lose rate and hieght after 75 - 100,000 miles. Quicker if abuse (overloaded, raced with stickies) and longer if only driven on smooth roads by super smooth driver weighing 95 pounds. Also the interleafs wear out, but those and the clamps (bands) can be replaced.

*edit: With extra weight on the rear, the extra spring rate won't tend to cause fish tailing. One method trucks and utility vehicles use to get best of both worlds is have a bottom leaf whose ends hang in the air until there's a bunch of weight in the bed and the leaf pack flattens enough to touch.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 05:05 AM

i would leave re-arching off the table. if you are going to spend any money, it might as well be towards a new set of springs. if you have the time and patience and can get another set of used springs super cheap that might work OK. but all in all a new set of springs is the way to go. i have bought 3 sets of springs from ESPO, i am sure the others are fine too. OEM mopar springs sit almost flat for a stock ride. this is because the spring will have the least amount of "sway" around turns.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

i would leave re-arching off the table. if you are going to spend any money, it might as well be towards a new set of springs. if you have the time and patience and can get another set of used springs super cheap that might work OK. but all in all a new set of springs is the way to go. i have bought 3 sets of springs from ESPO, i am sure the others are fine too. OEM mopar springs sit almost flat for a stock ride. this is because the spring will have the least amount of "sway" around turns.

I agree. BTW- I have a set of Mopar Performance springs Ill sell ya Randy. Didnt use them and are brand new since I went with Spring n Things.
Posted By: jose jones

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 06:57 PM

I just bought new springs at the local Chrysler-Dodge dealer for a Big Block B-body. Mopar Performance ( or whatever they are now called) still sells them for a little over $100 each. Check your local dealer see if they still sell A body springs
Posted By: shanker

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 09:19 PM

Quote:

I just bought new springs at the local Chrysler-Dodge dealer for a Big Block B-body. Mopar Performance ( or whatever they are now called) still sells them for a little over $100 each. Check your local dealer see if they still sell A body springs

That, or if you have an Amazon Prime account, just find the Mopar Performance part # you want, do a search for it, and more than likely it'll be in the 115 to 125 range with free two day shipping....i just bought some springs for my Coronet 3 weeks ago from Amazon... they were 117 each and got free 2 day shipping

Re: Where to purchase leaf springs? - 11/24/14 10:06 PM

Thanks guys. rm, I'll pm you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums