Moparts

Master Cylinder Color

Posted By: dart4forte

Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 05:58 AM

Black or as cast?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 06:04 AM

That totally depends on the car, the brake package and the year.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 05:02 PM

Quote:

68 Dart GTS. 383. KH disk brakes
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 05:33 PM

i don't recall ever seeing a painted master cylinder back in the day. why would they be painted? if any dot 3 fluid, and i think that's all there was, was spilled on them the paint would be gone.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 05:38 PM

Quote:

i don't recall ever seeing a painted master cylinder back in the day. why would they be painted? if any dot 3 fluid, and i think that's all there was, was spilled on them the paint would be gone.

Many cars had painted master cylinders. This is correct for my '70 B body with PDBs;

Dave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Many cars had painted master cylinders. This is correct for my '70 B body with PDBs;

Dave

Me thinks not, I've never saw a original pre 1971 Mopr that had a painted M.C., slant six, to hemi cars My 1970 V code Charger R/T with a SCP date of 10-29-1969 had a plan old non painted M.C. like yours with power disc brakes Same thing on many 340,383, 440 U and V codes B and E bodies as well as several slant six Chargers I saw back in the day The old brake fluid will weep through the cast iron and make the paint sluff off, the paint falling onto the exhaust manifold can cause a fire
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 07:55 PM

It is true. 1970 cars with power brakes had the whole master cylinder, booster, valve, lid & bail painted black as a assembly.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:17 PM

Quote:

Me thinks not, I've never saw a original pre 1971 Mopr that had a painted M.C., slant six, to hemi cars My 1970 V code Charger R/T with a SCP date of 10-29-1969 had a plan old non painted M.C. like yours with power disc brakes Same thing on many 340,383, 440 U and V codes B and E bodies as well as several slant six Chargers I saw back in the day The old brake fluid will weep through the cast iron and make the paint sluff off, the paint falling onto the exhaust manifold can cause a fire

Sorry but you're wrong. I'll go through my pics for survivors but I've researched '70 'Bees for a decade now (especially Lynch Rd. cars) and I can tell you that they came painted.

Dave

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:33 PM

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:38 PM

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:42 PM

NOS MS;

Attached picture 8337011-DSC02937.JPG

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:42 PM

superbird

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:43 PM

Side view. I removed the lid for this shot so you can see that it was painted with the lid on;

Attached picture 8337015-DSC02931.JPG

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:44 PM

survivor superbird

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

68 Dart GTS. 383. KH disk brakes

SOOO!!!, Was the pre 1970 A body disk brake M/C painted? I've' seen black and cast color. For me the brake fluid is not an issue in that I use DOT 5 silicone.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:48 PM

Quote:

NOS MS;

Hemi MS.

Dave

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NOS MS;

Hemi MS.

Dave

What is MS?

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 08:59 PM

MS - Master Cylinder.

I meant to type MC.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NOS MS;

Hemi MS.

Dave

Close, but it is a non-Hemi 2229171 1970 E-body power disc master cylinder. The Hemi cars (E&B), used the 191 and it had a piston retention bolt in the bottom.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry but you're wrong. I'll go through my pics for survivors but I've researched '70 'Bees for a decade now (especially Lynch Rd. cars) and I can tell you that they came painted.

Dave

Dave stop proving yourself, no matter what you say to some they always know better. I don't understand why guys that generally post in Race sections are now adding their comments in the Restoration Forum when they know not what they speak.
The Bendix setup was painted as an assembly with booster like you showed.
There were other setups like my 72 that have a Plated Booster that use bare masters, it's not a blanket answer for all.
Ron

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 09:40 PM

Quote:

Best answer so far!!!!
Ron
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 09:59 PM

1968 Charger

Attached picture 8337095-006.JPG
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 10:27 PM

Here is a pic from a 69 Dart GTS with KH power disc brakes. I believe that it is original.

Attached picture 8337123-DartMC.jpg

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 10:40 PM

Quote:

Here is a pic from a 69 Dart GTS with KH power disc brakes. I believe that it is original.

There's a situation where I could believe the master to be natural but you clearly have a nice correctly stamped Black lid and bail. Are there any remnants of Black paint on the MC body?
Ron
Posted By: burdar

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 10:51 PM

Pictures can be deceiving but it looks like remnants of black paint on the master to me.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 11:01 PM

Quote:

MS - Master Cylinder.

I meant to type MC.

....and I was just following suit so Barry wouldn't feel bad!

Dave
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 11:25 PM

Here is another pic of the MC. I tried to clean some of the loose rust off with a tooth bush back near the mounting nut. I can't saw for sure if it was once painted black or not. I'm leaning toward that it was.
I just bought this Dart from a friend's estate. It has only 10,000 miles on it and had been in storage since 1974. Lots of original things are still intact.

Attached picture 8337181-DartMC2.jpg
Posted By: burdar

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 11:28 PM

If you soak the master in EvapoRust, any paint that is left on it will reappear.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/20/14 11:36 PM

and I'm just wondering if there's an answer in my future
Posted By: Bee Nice

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 06:50 AM

Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Authentic Restoration Guide written by Paul Herd page 95 states, Master Cylinders 1968 "The cylinder itself should be painted cast-iron gray to simulate the fresh-cast look, and the cover and hold down clamp should have cadmium gold appearance. Page 95 goes onto state The Federally-Mandated dual circuit cylinder first appeared on 1967 models. Both 67 & 68 used Part number 2808599. Chrysler Muscle Car Parts Interchange Manual written by Paul Herd page 85 shows part number 2808599 applicable to 1967-69 Barracuda, Fury, Monaco, Newport, New Yorker, and Polara. 1967 - 68 Belvedere, Charger, and Coronet, with drum brakes. Used in both power and non-power assisted applications.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 07:04 AM

I can live with that. Looks like that's a book I should get.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 07:19 AM

Quote:

Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Authentic Restoration Guide written by Paul Herd page 95 states, Master Cylinders 1968 "The cylinder itself should be painted cast-iron gray to simulate the fresh-cast look, and the cover and hold down clamp should have cadmium gold appearance. Page 95 goes onto state The Federally-Mandated dual circuit cylinder first appeared on 1967 models. Both 67 & 68 used Part number 2808599. Chrysler Muscle Car Parts Interchange Manual written by Paul Herd page 85 shows part number 2808599 applicable to 1967-69 Barracuda, Fury, Monaco, Newport, New Yorker, and Polara. 1967 - 68 Belvedere, Charger, and Coronet, with drum brakes. Used in both power and non-power assisted applications.

2808599 is a drum brake master cylinder. 67-70 drum brake Mopars all used the same master cylinder and it had the bolt on style cap. Generally accepted to be cast iron with plated cap, though I have NOS examples that have the body E coated black with a plated cap.
The OP asked about a disc brake master cylinder. All the Mopar disc brake master cylinders from '67-'70 were painted gloss black except the flange and the area by the outlets where protective plugs were installed prior to painting. Here is an NOS assembly line '67-'70 A body manual disc brake master cylinder casting number 2225541 date coded 212th day of '69. Interestingly has a splotch of white paint on the front of the bore area of the casting.

Attached picture 8337616-11-20-14003.jpg

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 07:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

2808599 is a drum brake master cylinder. 67-70 drum brake Mopars all used the same master cylinder and it had the bolt on style cap. Generally accepted to be cast iron with plated cap, though I have NOS examples that have the body E coated black with a plated cap.
The OP asked about a disc brake master cylinder. All the Mopar disc brake master cylinders from '67-'70 were painted gloss black except the flange and the area by the outlets where protective plugs were installed prior to painting. Here is an NOS assembly line '67-'70 A body manual disc brake master cylinder casting number 2225541 date coded 212th day of '69. Interestingly has a splotch of white paint on the front of the bore area of the casting.

I have the 541. So you say black is the color. Mine is date coded late 67
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 07:48 AM

Yours should look exactly like the assembly line example shown above. Put some protective plugs in the outlets before painting, and you are good to go.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 08:01 AM

Cool. Thanks
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 04:40 PM

Quote:

I myself would not use that book for reference restoration.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There are lots of mistakes in that book.

Dave

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 08:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Ditto
Ron

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/21/14 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Ditto
Ron

There are lots of mistakes in every car book article I've ever seen or read
I own a 1969 Dart GTS 383 4 speed car without power brakes, it has the stock Kelsey Hayes front disc brakes on it, this is the M.C. that was on it when I bought it in the early 1990s,(this car was sold at Saddleback dodge in Orange County, CA in late 1968) it works very well, it doesn't seem to have a residual valve in the back half of the M.C., the front tires spin as easy as any other front disc brake Mopar I have owned, drivened and worked on or raced

Attached picture 8337991-SANY0271.JPG

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/22/14 12:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Ditto
Ron

There are lots of mistakes in every car book article I've ever seen or read
I own a 1969 Dart GTS 383 4 speed car without power brakes, it has the stock Kelsey Hayes front disc brakes on it, this is the M.C. that was on it when I bought it in the early 1990s,(this car was sold at Saddleback dodge in Orange County, CA in late 1968) it works very well, it doesn't seem to have a residual valve in the back half of the M.C., the front tires spin as easy as any other front disc brake Mopar I have owned, drivened and worked on or raced

According to themoparman (Wayne) who restores M/Cs you should have M/C 2225541 which has the 1" bore suited for the A body manual and disk brakes. Looks like you have a manual brake M/C. It also looks like someone like orange.

Re: Master Cylinder Color - 11/22/14 01:10 AM

That car was painted that Street Hemi Orange when I bought it the first time It is a original F8, Dark Green Metalic car.The guy I sold it to wanted that motor(1971 Challenger 383 HP) painted that color I'm sure I didn't replace the M.C. since I bought it either time, who knows what happened when I didn't own it I use to bracket race it with a 440 and a 727, I checked the front tire drag and there isn't any to speak of BTW, as already pointed out, I'm a drag racers, not a show car guy. I have restored, to the best of my ability, several early Mopar muscle cars like a original 415 HP 1963 M.W. Belevedere, 1968 Formula S 340 4 speed Baracuda, a 1969 Charger 500 Hemi 4 speed car and I have built from scratch several other street cars, no show cars or concourse type cars though (that is not my pay grade )
© 2024 Moparts Forums