Moparts

Leaf spring drill hole ??

Posted By: dynamite

Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/18/14 07:52 PM

This may have been asked before, but ..I want to move the small leaf spring forward..Any problem with drilling a new positioning hole in the center of the spring ??

Attached picture 8335004-get-attachment(41).jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/18/14 09:17 PM

There's no limit on Q's even if redundant. yes you can redrill another hole (across in both vertical walls). definitely do it on a drill press Before you pull it measure how far the leaf eyelet is from the front wall & that'll tell you how much you can move it forward (with a reasonable amt of clearance of course). As you know it'll affect the tire/wheel location in teh wheel well and rear shackle tilt but I'm assuming you have (or will have after redrilling) that covered. EDIT shock lower hole to tapered stud fitment might be slightly more difficult
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/18/14 11:18 PM

If your wanting to redrill the center bolt hole, the spring leafs are hardened. They need to be drilled with good bits, lots of cutting oil at a slow pace. You will probably want to pull the spring packs apart and drill on a press, and then your probably only going to want to relocate the main leaf center hole, and shift the other springs to the new hole. Watch the length of the 2nd leaf that its not too long. The end can be cut off with a cutoff wheel and debured. Gene
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/19/14 03:07 AM

i have found that a masonry bit in a drill press will cut a nice hole...
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/19/14 03:32 AM

I interpreted the OP as wanting to only move a single leaf forward, the smallest of the pack.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/19/14 04:07 AM

Quote:

I interpreted the OP as wanting to only move a single leaf forward, the smallest of the pack.

Me too after reading Poorboys' response
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Leaf spring drill hole ?? - 11/19/14 03:13 PM

RR is right ,only the smallest leaf. Thanks for all posts tho
© 2024 Moparts Forums