Moparts

Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440

Posted By: 1970Moparmann

Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 02:39 AM

Working on my 68 Charger and since I don't have enough to get my engine of choice for $9k, I'm just going to build up my stock rebuilt 383. In looking today, I see that Edelbrock has a nice Power Package with the heads/intake/cam.. Anyone have any feedback on this package? According to on site, it says it should add about 80 HP.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 02:43 AM

heads and intake....are great...

use either...voodoo cam..comp cam...hughes cam..
Posted By: 1970Moparmann

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 04:34 AM

Quote:

I take it there's problems with the Edelbrock cam?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 04:49 AM

Quote:

Working on my 68 Charger and since I don't have enough to get my engine of choice for $9k, I'm just going to build up my stock rebuilt 383. In looking today, I see that Edelbrock has a nice Power Package with the heads/intake/cam.. Anyone have any feedback on this package? According to on site, it says it should add about 80 HP.

Dude, for 9-grand you should be able to build a killer street wedge! I'm on schedule to have my 525-horse 451 done for under 4k. Now I do have a few of the parts already on my 383, and I'm doing all the assembly myself, but still... 9k should go a long way.

That said.... I currently have the eddy RPM cam in my 383, and if I had it to do again, I'd go with one of the new generation cams (voodoo, Comp XE-HL series). It makes good power up top, but has horrible street manners. I tamed it a little with some Rhodes lifters, and I am probobly overcammed for my compression, but it's still a bit of a beast for a 13.90 / 100 mph car.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 06:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I take it there's problems with the Edelbrock cam?

just as memtioned above, there newer profiles from comp...lunati..hughes to name a few...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 01:27 PM

For 9k you could build a killer stroker w/ a roller cam. The heads and intake (RPM) are good. Never used the cam and by all means don't use an eddy carb. Top it off w/ a holley.
Posted By: fox

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 01:44 PM

If you are in need of a bore, why not add a 440 crank for just a little more? Some main grinding is all it takes! Either rod is good. Now you are around 430 cubes and have a really strong engine.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 03:38 PM

nowdays stroke an engine takes allmost same money than stock rebuilt! depending of what do you get beside good cam and stroker kit.

you can keep stock heads and intake and change that in the near future.

Or keep stock heads, some light porting and milling, and then an aluminium intake.

aprox prices
Stroke kits from 440 source, what includes crank/rods/pistons $2K
Cam... $100
intake... $250
bearings/rings... maybe $250
Timming chain kit... $80

Dunno about machine shop quotes BUT that will be unvariable being stroker or stock

of course, making a "stock" build you save the crank and rods, and can use that money to just higher CR pistons and some heads.

Heads... $1200
Pistons... $400

that would be instead $2K of stroker kit, BUT unreversible to make future investments, like making the stroker kit and get later the heads.

Then you'll have another options like fully adjustable valvetrain, $250, pushrods etc...

That's juts my though
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 10:02 PM

I agree, the e-brock heads and intake are great but the cam is not. You want a comp xe-hl or a lunati voodoo if you want to stay hydraulic.

Cast or forged 440 cranks can be had for cheap in the for sale section, wouldn't cost you too much more to buy one and have it ground to fit your engine, that gives you a nice boost in cubes. Then there's the stroker kits if you want to spend a little more. Bonus of this is you can spend your money here now, and when the finances recover, but your aftermarket heads at that point.

But even a stock stroke 383 can make some good power. Just be sure to get a flat top piston w/valve reliefs and have your block decked so your pistons are at deck height. Then have those aluminum heads milled down to 70cc or so to get some good compression out of it.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Edelbrock Power Package for 383 or 440 - 01/06/09 10:32 PM

The cam Edelbrock puts in their package does not compliment their heads and the mopar engine. Not by a long shot. Heck I was at Lane Automotive and heard a counter guy talk a chevy customer out of the Edelbrock cam that comes in the RPM 350 package.
© 2024 Moparts Forums