Moparts

Brake swap

Posted By: moparbrown14

Brake swap - 11/11/14 06:06 AM

I have 10 inch brakes on my 74 duster can I take a setup of 9 inch brakes off a 70 dart will it work and what do I need to do to make it work. Wanting the 9 inch on my duster
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake swap - 11/16/14 02:40 AM

I believe you would bolt on the 9" spindles & everything outward from there with the 9" setup. The only thing different I could think of is the 70 spindles would have the small upper hole for the early UBJ & not sure if the 74 10" spindles would have the small or the large hole. If the 74 spindle has the small hole it is a bolt in & if it has the large hole Doctor Diff has a sleeve to make up the difference between the smaller tapered ball joint and the larger 74 tapered spindle upper hole. iirc it is a match (both have early small ubj/therefore sleeve not needed
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Brake swap - 11/16/14 08:16 AM

Both '73-up drum and disc used the same upper A with the large upper BJ.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake swap - 11/16/14 05:31 PM

Quote:

Both '73-up drum and disc used the same upper A with the large upper BJ.

alright, either purchase a pair of Docs' UBJ spacers (sleeves actually) OR use the '70 UCA's along with the '70 9" drum spindles
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Brake swap - 11/16/14 05:38 PM

The OP wants to put pre '73 A-body brakes on a '74 A-body.

In this case, he must also install pre '73 A-body upper control arms (small upper ball joints), lower ball joints and lower ball joint bolts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums