Moparts

Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use?

Posted By: Powerflow

Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/03/14 12:53 AM

With winter coming, I like to lube the lock cylinders in all my cars so they don't freeze. I've mostly used WD-40, but I've heard others use straight silicone spray, liquid graphite, etc. What works for you?
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/03/14 01:23 AM

Quote:

With winter coming, I like to lube the lock cylinders in all my cars so they don't freeze. I've mostly used WD-40, but I've heard others use straight silicone spray, liquid graphite, etc. What works for you?

http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/179

I don't use stuff like oil,WD-40, etc. cuz it can become sticky over time. This stuff works for me on padlocks, car door locks, car trunk locks, etc. I use it on door hinges followed by some dripless oil....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/03/14 04:34 AM

What ever type your parts house has on hand, graphite based liquid, Squirt it in & the liquid evaporates leaving the graphite to lube the lock
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/03/14 05:13 AM

I do facility maintenance on 8 school buildings (lots of doors!)

I use Houdini lock lube - we get it at our local locksmith but I know Amazon has it
Posted By: 71ChargerSE

Re: Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/04/14 01:50 AM

I work in the lockshop of a large school district-160 buildings. We use Triflow on everything pin tumbler and wafer,works great.They make it in aerosol and little bottles of oil with built in thin little tube. Really works and you can get it about anywhere.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/04/14 01:55 AM

Just for fun, I'll add I use WD40 even though it is not supposed to be the best. I always have it around and it seems to work OK.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Lock Cylinder Lube: What Do You Use? - 11/04/14 02:22 AM

I've used WD40 for ever on 20+ vehicles and 4 buildings. Hasn't caused any problems and keeps them from freezing up during the winter.

I'm sure there's better, but I have found the need for it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums