Moparts

Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box?

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/05/09 08:25 PM

I just pulled my power steering gear box out because it was leaking. Thinking about going with a Firm Feel Stage 3 box. Anybody using one? How do you like it? Should I go with the larger sector shaft?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/05/09 08:43 PM

I've installed a few & have always highly recomended the level 3, but I did recently have someone that felt it was to heavy & removed the level three sent it back & exchanged it for a level 1... FWIW I still prefer the level 3, if you want a Cadillac buy a Cadillic
As far as the large sector, the pitman arm is much easier to find & much cheaper so yes I would use the large sector shaft...Unless you have a new small shaft pitman arm in your stash...
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/05/09 08:48 PM

i have my TA ps box rebuilt to a stage 3 and i like it
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/05/09 09:06 PM

i have a 3 and like it
Posted By: 500Stroker

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/05/09 09:53 PM

Go with the FF 3 you won't regret it. I had a S&G level 2 before and thought it was too loose. The FF3 is nice and firm but not hard to turn.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/05/09 11:05 PM

I have a stage 3 box with their fast ratio arms. One of the best things I have done to the car.

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 12:33 AM

It looks like I will be ordering their stage 3 with the larger shaft tommorrow. I can't afford their fast ratio pitman arm but that's ok. I can get a Moog pitman arm for $80. Thanks for all the replies.!!
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 03:29 AM

Quote:

It looks like I will be ordering their stage 3 with the larger shaft tommorrow. I can't afford their fast ratio pitman arm but that's ok. I can get a Moog pitman arm for $50. Thanks for all the replies.!!

With that large sector box doesnt the pitman arm they recommend not work with some brands of headers? I will be ordering a box from them soon but I dont think I will get a large sector because I have Hooker ceramic coat 1 7/8 COMP Headers.....can anybody confirm this? I have a 70 Charger RT with 4speed also.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 03:39 AM

i know on an ebody, TTI says you cant use their headers ith the fast ratio arm at least on a small block.

I am running hooker super comps 5115 on my cuda with the fast ratio box just fine

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It looks like I will be ordering their stage 3 with the larger shaft tommorrow. I can't afford their fast ratio pitman arm but that's ok. I can get a Moog pitman arm for $50. Thanks for all the replies.!!

With that large sector box doesnt the pitman arm they recommend not work with some brands of headers? I will be ordering a box from them soon but I dont think I will get a large sector because I have Hooker ceramic coat 1 7/8 COMP Headers.....can anybody confirm this? I have a 70 Charger RT with 4speed also.

The "quick ratio" pitman arm which is avaliable in large shaft & small shaft is what causes the interference..There is a standard pitman arm in the large spline as well...
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:02 AM

I recently purchased a rebuilt stage 2 large sector shaft box (73’ and up P/S Mopar gear box) from Firm Feel for a 72’ GTX. The standard ratio large sector pitman arm (73’ and up application) will not cause header clearance problems. The fast ratio pitman (small or large sector shaft) is longer than the standard arm, moving the position of the center link aft and in possible conflict with some headers.

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:13 AM

When I talked to Firm Feel today, they said they also sell a standard large pitman arm. The quick ratio arm is the one that interferes.

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:14 AM

You can get the standard large spline pitman at Napa...
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The "quick ratio" pitman arm which is avaliable in large shaft & small shaft is what causes the interference..There is a standard pitman arm in the large spline as well...

Well thats good news! Now I can order up my box with no worries! Thanks!

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:22 AM

"You can get the standard large spline pitman at Napa..."

yes, tell'm it's for a 73'.

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:25 AM

Napa shows 2 different pitman arms for a 73 Charger. One for $43 and the other for $76. Why?

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:27 AM

Manual steering??

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:29 AM

Both say power steering. http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=7&SubCatId=1

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:36 AM

Take a look at the photos, one looks correct & one doesn't...

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:36 AM

So, which one is correct?

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:38 AM

$42 looks right

$75 looks like a C body

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:41 AM

Thanks. I wonder why they list 2 different ones.

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:50 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy the correct pitman arm from Firm Feel, I did and it was reasonably priced as I recall. The way NAPA page looks to me, based on the different part number prefixes, there are a few different brand named arms for the same application. Arms look the same to me, photo angles are reversed.

73' b-body large sector standard ratio pitman on my 72'

Re: Anybody using Firm Feel stage 3 steering gear box? - 01/06/09 04:53 AM

Firm Feel wants $99 for the standard large pitman arm. I have a buddy that owns an auto supply business and he can get me a Moog one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums