Moparts

Brake pedal question

Posted By: west

Brake pedal question - 10/28/14 07:45 PM

I restored a 72 dart and the brakes work fine but the pedal can be lifted up high enough to disengage the push rod. I'm concerned a large bump in the road or my shoelaces may pull the pedal upward while driving. Is there a bump stop or a spring that I have overlooked?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/28/14 08:03 PM

Push rod should have a rubber ring around the end that goes into the booster or master that locks it in.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/28/14 08:06 PM

Even without the push rod retainer the brake light switch should limit the pedal's up travel.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/28/14 08:34 PM

John you can still lift it high and bend the arm the switch is on.I know I did it on ny 65 once playing with the pedal.I had to bend the SL arm back down.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/29/14 12:47 AM

1st order of business is to check if the MC rear piston tapered "thimble" recess has the recess halfway down for the neoprene retainer to lock into & that that piece is on the pushrod. If no recess then that is a PB MC. Eberg said if that is your situation then lock it (the pushrod) in with RTV which sounds scary at first blush but if Eberg is OK with it then it's good enough for me

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/29/14 01:11 AM

It is a manual m/c. Is the neoprene retainer available at Napa? Thanks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/29/14 01:18 AM

You about to get a rebuilt MC to get a tailor made one but have the counter guy at your parts house cut a snip of vac line the same length as the machined recess at the end of the pushrod. They are virtually identical & will safely function fine. I forget the dia but just give him the pushrod & have him go back & use the roll of line that is a tight fit on the round nub (you only need a fraction of an inch for length). Cut a slight groove in it lengthwise end to end on the outside for air to excape as it locks into the piston blind hole for a good secure fit

Re: Brake pedal question - 10/29/14 01:55 AM

I think I'm set. Thanks for the help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums