Moparts

Tire tread separation question

Posted By: Jopar

Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 02:16 AM

I noticed a vibration and want your opinion on potential cause. I have attached a picture and suspect the the tire is bad. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. It looks like the tread is starting to separate from the outer sidewall.

Attached picture 8311744-image.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 02:31 AM

Good eye! I would watch that. If it gets worse do something about it. On the front that's a high stress area on the tire. Can you move it to the back?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 02:42 AM

But I do not think that would cause any vibration, unless there is serious tread separation going on, which you could check by rotating the tire so the area is very close to the ground and inspect to see if there is odd movement (separation) from the belts of the tire.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

I noticed a vibration and want your opinion on potential cause. I have attached a picture and suspect the the tire is bad. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. It looks like the tread is starting to separate from the outer sidewall.

What's the date code on the side of the tire? Post it up here and we'll tell how old the tire is. I suspect that is your problem. Like you already know.

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 03:50 AM

UDN 127 I assume this means 12th week of 97. Time to replace...
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 04:18 AM

When the belt breaks, an "egg" can form that will thump. The tire is probably (very) near the end. Better to retire ( ) it now before it decides to take out a rim or fender (or worse).
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 06:58 AM

Looks to me like the tire has been biting the fender lip possibly, causing the carnage. Vibration from elsewhere?
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 09:58 AM

Quote:

Looks to me like the tire has been biting the fender lip possibly, causing the carnage. Vibration from elsewhere?

Fender lip. X2

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 05:08 PM

Verified this morning that the damage is about 2/3 the diameter of tire. Also confirmed that the fender lip is nowhere near damage. I think I am going with tire is bad.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 05:19 PM

When you go to take it off, jack it up to where it's just barely clearing the ground and spin the tire to if it's out of round.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 05:30 PM

Looks like mentioned, it has rubbed somewhere at some point. It could have put a small slice in it then cracked and got bigger over time.

It doesn't take much weight missing to cause a vibration, like it a 1/4 ounce wheel weight fell off... so it very well could be why your noticing it now.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 05:39 PM

It looks like cuts to me (and I have to inspect tires daily). It's a moot point anyway those are too old to be driving on. Of course you want to know what it rubbed on before mounting new tires though, which I can understand.

Sheldon
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/26/14 08:25 PM

Have you rotated tire lately, maybe it caught on the other lip?
Posted By: gofastboater

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/27/14 12:30 AM

If they are from '97 it's a NO-BRAINER. Replace them. Don't try to make excuses. Why take the chance. It's not worth the possible damage.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Tire tread separation question - 10/27/14 12:36 AM

Tires are cheaper than paint and bodily harm. Replace them or stop driving the car especailly fast enough to feel a vibration.
© 2024 Moparts Forums