Moparts

Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting?

Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/15/14 12:58 AM

I am about to install a GV overdrive in my 66 HEMI Coronet convertible. Among other things, I am changing the torque converter from the 9-1/2" that stalls at 4,000 rpm, to an 11" 2,800 high effiecency converter. My question is, has anyone here used the "gear splitting" feature with a 727 and stock 66 console shifter?

Attached picture 8300401-DSCN1154.JPG
Posted By: feets

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/15/14 02:39 AM

Very few people split gears with the GV. Those that do are usually driving heavy vehicles (motorhomes, loaded trucks) and dealing with long grades.

It's an option with passenger cars but it's not needed.

When was the last time you wished you had a gear somewhere between second and third?
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/15/14 03:16 PM

It's hard to split when racing or not pulling anything. There is a momentary lag between footswitch and gear change. As said, Mainly for towing.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/15/14 05:53 PM

I have a GV in my Daytona. When driving on the highway, I just let it turn on when it wants to ( 45 mph )... I don't split gears... With the 4.10's I have in the car, it is useless to. I am usually in 3rd gear way before 45mph. When I'm driving around regular streets, I usually leave the GV off......
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/15/14 07:27 PM

Quote:

I am about to install a GV overdrive in my 66 HEMI Coronet convertible. Among other things, I am changing the torque converter from the 9-1/2" that stalls at 4,000 rpm, to an 11" 2,800 high effiecency converter. My question is, has anyone here used the "gear splitting" feature with a 727 and stock 66 console shifter?

It's hard to time it. After a lot of practice, you may be one of the few that can do it consistently, but good luck.

Then if you don't get the shorty 727 that mates to the Gear Vendor's unit, it is really long and you end up with a funky driveline angle. Some people can do the job right, but the RPM drop in overdrive is almost insignificant, and you will still need to massage the transmission tunnel.

I drove Mr Angry's B-body with a Gear Vendors unit in it, and found it abrupt and difficult to time the gear splitting, you only have slit seconds to nail it just right. I ended up using it in 3rd only. Even then, the RPM barely dropped, but it did help.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/16/14 05:10 AM

Da beast II has one on his 512 Super bee with 3.54 gears and found best when flogging 1st 2nd od 3rd (living it in OD) I drove it and that seems to work real good. Maybe he will jump in I'll send him a heads up tomorrow!

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/16/14 12:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was curious after reading the GV website that described gear splitting. It sounded good but I don't think I am coordinated enough to pull it off. The main reason for the switch is to lower my highway rpm for long trips. Based on the ratio change, I am looking at dropping from 3,000 rpm at 70 mph to 2,400 rpm. With the torque of a 4.5" stroke, I don't need closer gear ratios anyway.

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/16/14 12:26 PM

I should add that I am looking at the torque converter change to improve drivability as much as the GV unit. Going from a 9-1/2" that is much better suited to a lighter higher rpm car, to an 11" higher efficiency converter will help a lot, I HOPE!
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive, gear splitting? - 10/17/14 01:51 AM

Quote:

Da beast II has one on his 512 Super bee with 3.54 gears and found best when flogging 1st 2nd od 3rd (living it in OD) I drove it and that seems to work real good. Maybe he will jump in I'll send him a heads up tomorrow!

Yep, what Dodgem said when flogging it. Normal driving I shift to over drive after I'm in third. I drive it like a four speed. I should add that I have a manual reverse valve body. I also disconnected the controller and direct wired the foot switch to the solenoid.
© 2024 Moparts Forums